Old Nov 29, 2008, 01:20 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Discussion
HYPERION EOS NET, DUO, and DUO2 Chargers

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to the feedback from many on the Ezone, we have been able to constantly improve the original Hyperion EOS 0610iNET and 0610iDUO chargers by updating the firmware to add important features and increase ease of use.

Now we have released the new single-port 0720iNET (7S, 20A, 250W limits!!!) and dual-port DUO2 (adds 50W+50W discharge and high-vis LCD to original DUO).

Since we've come so far, it makes sense to me that we start this new thread.

I'll periodically update this first post with important information, so you don't have to wade through thousands of posts to stay updated on important news...

Cheers,

David

CLICK HERE for EOS CHARGER PAGE

NOTES:

FEB 14 2009

* Firmware upgrades for NET/DUO/0720iNET/DUO2 have been released. See EOS firmware download page for the Upgrade Files, and EOS page for manuals and addendums for the new firmware.

* EOS Chargers Page (see link above) Updated with manuals for 0720iNET and DUO2 new firmware version 1.2, and Addendum for original NET/DUO firmware version 2.0, released today.

NOTE! TODAY'S UPDATES REQUIRE AN INITIALIZATION STEP AFTER UPGRADE, AS FOLLOWS:
* Power OFF the charger
* PRESS and HOLD DOWN the MODE Button, then power ON the charger
* Release MODE button
* Press ENTER button one time.

The new firmware adds a new User Setup option, and so requires this initialization procedure after update...
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Last edited by NipponDave; Feb 14, 2009 at 03:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:57 AM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
I'm in!

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:11 AM
...A Better Way to Fly
USA, IL, Palos Heights
Joined Oct 2006
311 Posts
Duo---> My favorite charger!
Subscribed.
DriveWRX is offline Find More Posts by DriveWRX
Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:16 AM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,470 Posts
Also subscribed...and unsubscribed from the other thread.

Dave: Have you ever considered creating an external discharger? I was thinking that the data port could be used to turn it on and off, thereby eliminating the possibility of accidentally leaving the discharger active once the target voltage has been reached (as can happen if a jury-rigged discharge circuit is used). I know the DUOII will discharge, but I don't really want to outlay the funds to replace my DUO.
TheBum is offline Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:49 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,829 Posts
YAY!

Finally a charger that will do some SERIOUS current! Really interested in the new 720i. Users of large lipoly packs, A123 cells, and new high charge-rate lipolys will most certainly beat a path to your door.

All other charger manufacturers will now, once again, be playing catch-up with Hyperion...

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:11 AM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
I'm in...

-Hilgert
hilgert is offline Find More Posts by hilgert
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:03 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
and new high charge-rate lipolys
Only if you lie to the charger about the pack capacity. Hyperion chargers by design limit LiPo charging to no more than 2C. Read the manual for the explanation as to why. So for example, to charge a 2200mAh pack at 4C you would have to tell the charger that it was a 4400mAh pack which would defeat the automatic protection against over-capacity charging but would then let you select a nominal 2C charge rate of 8.8A.

The 20A charge capability is really provided specifically (and perhaps exclusively) for A123 (LiFe) mode.

Dave - Since the 0720i will do 7S lipo (29.4V) will it allow me to charge (but not balance) 8S A123 (29 to 30V) ?
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:50 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
The 20A charge capability is really provided specifically (and perhaps exclusively) for A123 (LiFe) mode.
Would be beneficial when I charge 4 of my 5000mAh packs in parallel as well. At 10A, my iCharger takes about 80-90 minutes to charge all 4 of them (I typically only discharge about 60% of available capacity). At 20A, this might be reduced to ~50-60 minutes.

The over-capacity protection that you speak of has been incredibly annoying in my EOS 5i's, to the point that I rarely use them anymore. It stops at 5500mAh when I'm charging very large packs and forces me to re-start the charge cycle. Granted this will be far less of an issue with the newer Hyperions...

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2008, 03:50 PM
p-38
the colony tx
Joined Oct 2007
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
Hello Everyone,

Thanks to the feedback from many on the Ezone, we have been able to constantly improve the original Hyperion EOS 0610iNET and 0610iDUO chargers by updating the firmware to add important features and increase ease of use.

Now we are releasing the new single-port 0720iNET (7S, 20A, 250W limits!!!) and dual-port DUO2 (adds 50W+50W discharge and high-vis LCD to original DUO).

Since we've come so far, it makes sense to me that we start this new thread.

I'll periodically update this first post with important information, so you don't have to wade through thousands of posts to stay updated on important news...

Cheers,

David

CLICK HERE for EOS CHARGER PAGE

NOTES:

Nov 29 2008
* EOS Chargers Page (see link above) Updated with pictures and manuals for 0720iNET (on sale about Dec 15 08) and DUO2 (on sale already)
* NET/DUO firmware page updated with manual for v1.9 firmware for original NET and DUO chargers.
* v1.9 firmware for original NET/DUO and v1.12 firmware for DUO2 and 0720iNET are already linked on that page, but will not be available until Wed Dec 3.
I can't wait for the new 0720i charger! Do you know what it will sell for yet?

Thanks 1airborne
1airborne is offline Find More Posts by 1airborne
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:22 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Jul 2008
2 Posts
Hello Dave!

You have a PM.
Mr Mamba is offline Find More Posts by Mr Mamba
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:57 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1airborne
I can't wait for the new 0720i charger! Do you know what it will sell for yet?

Thanks 1airborne
Info here

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/eos/

clearly states two cost less than $400 so my guess is under $200 for one.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 29, 2008, 05:03 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Would be beneficial when I charge 4 of my 5000mAh packs in parallel as well.
Quite so. In that case the charger should be configured for a 20000mAh pack and the capacity protection will still be valid

If those are 3S packs you should get the 20A (about 230W charge power) but if they are 6S then you will only get about 11A charge rate (about 250W charge power).
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 29, 2008, 05:13 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,509 Posts
Quote:
As I understand the User's Guide (available at link above) the only limit is the 2C one for LiPoly based on the packs capacity as mentioned in post above.

I have routinely charged LiPolys with my DUO at greater than 2C but then I set capacities to max. Not a recommendation just stating fact.
I never carried for capacity limits or timer limits for that matter. I jumped with joy when AF changed time out from 2 hrs. to 10 hrs. years ago.

As the main one who has been requesting a higher power charger for A123s all I can say is thank you for lessening Dave. I will at last be able to charge my 5S A123s at close to 14A. which should be close to a 10 minute charge.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 29, 2008, 05:16 PM
Glitch Master
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
1,999 Posts
Here I am!
Jim Varley is offline Find More Posts by Jim Varley
Old Nov 29, 2008, 05:21 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Quite so. In that case the charger should be configured for a 20000mAh pack and the capacity protection will still be valid

If those are 3S packs you should get the 20A (about 230W charge power) but if they are 6S then you will only get about 11A charge rate (about 250W charge power).
Yep, they're 3S, so the 0720 would run at full boat (20A), which would be sweet.

Honestly, I don't understand the reason for the 'capacity protection' and wish that it could be disabled (or at least user adjustable). I could only see it providing benefit in the event of a severe charger malfunction on a battery that had been completely discharged. Monitoring the voltage of each individual cell at the tap is far a more effective means of protecting against overcharge, IMO. At least the 0720 has increased the maximum capacity to 50,000mAh so very large packs can be charged without re-starting the charger. For me, the capacity protection feature has been more of an annoyance on my 5i's which have a ridiculously low 5000mAh capacity limit.

Looks like the 0720 (and descendants) will be a winner.

Mark
RCG Plus Member