HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2008, 06:12 AM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
Contest
Building log- Lockheed Hudson

I am aiming to build a Lockheed Hudson in RAAF colours. I was at a jet meet in Temora this year and was able to get up close to one for the first time, it really took me.

I am looking at building a 1/8 scale model. This will give it a wingspan of 98" and a fuse of 66".
The weight and power system I am using as a guide is that of the 93" beaufighter designed by John Ranson.
Here is a build thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...472922&page=13

The current development stage I am at, at this time is I am still looking for detailed 3-view.

Pete
Glong-flyer is offline Find More Posts by Glong-flyer
Last edited by Glong-flyer; Dec 21, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2008, 09:41 AM
Gloucestershire, UK.
Joined May 2006
1,228 Posts
Hi Pete,
It will be great to see one of these come together - quite a lot of work within the BO time scale but the result will be a model with real presence
My GA's do not include a Hudson unfortunately, but there must be some out there...
Paul W.
paulbw is offline Find More Posts by paulbw
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:40 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,426 Posts
Interesting build, Pete. Looking forward to following along. You have probably already seen this:
Forgotten Aircraft - Lockheed Hudson Bomber (4 min 21 sec)
but just in case....

Cheers,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:47 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,399 Posts
I've got some drawings so PM me with your email addy and I'll send you a scan.
Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:44 PM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
Thanks all for your support. Jeff for the video. I know that the time line will be tight but hopefully it will keep me on track. If I don't finish in the time line that will be unfortunate but not the end of the world, all the same I will give it a go this time. I think that there is good support for the Hudson even though it is not overly modelled. My understanding it that the full size fully loaded had quite a high wing loading. This is something I aim to keep a close eye on.
I did not make it past the layout stage for build off II because of the birth of my second child. We are not planning on having another one in this time period. Well that I know of.
I just purchased some 3-views, just have to wait for them to arrive. All the same any information would be greatly appreciated.

I am aiming to build the Airfix 1:72 plastic model I have of a Hudson tonight.
Pete
Last edited by Glong-flyer; Nov 30, 2008 at 02:16 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 03:18 AM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
I picked up a new mag today with part 2 of the 96" DC-3 by Rohin Fowler. It has some great build photo's and a build style that i am going try and enulate. His all up flying weight was 9lb 2oz (4.08 kg) fantastic job. If you get a chance have a look at the article.
thanks again to those for their help
Pete
Last edited by Glong-flyer; Nov 30, 2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 01:16 PM
Fly2Build.com
Redding,California
Joined Dec 2003
2,572 Posts
Hey Pete,
The Hudson is one sexy twin for sure. At 98", you're going to turn heads. Best wishes for time and success with this one. My advice would be to make an effort to daily put in at least a little time on this if you want to make it in time. Don't let it run your life, but if you can stay on the job, even just a bit each day, you'll likely make it. Late at night was my personal method.

Mike
scratchnhover is offline Find More Posts by scratchnhover
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:21 PM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
Mike, I have some holidays coming, this is when I am aiming to really kick things into gear. Still trying to get my head around working with a Cad but I think I will get there.

The 3-view I have bought do not show how the flaps work nor do they have any cross sections of the engine housings. Does any one know of where I can purchase or obtain highly detailed 3-views?

Pete
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:51 PM
Fly2Build.com
Redding,California
Joined Dec 2003
2,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glong-flyer
Mike, I have some holidays coming, this is when I am aiming to really kick things into gear. Still trying to get my head around working with a Cad but I think I will get there.

The 3-view I have bought do not show how the flaps work nor do they have any cross sections of the engine housings. Does any one know of where I can purchase or obtain highly detailed 3-views?

Pete
Pete,
The Paul Matt PV-1 Vega drawings have the engine/Nacelle sections. Let me know if you want them.
Mike
scratchnhover is offline Find More Posts by scratchnhover
Old Nov 30, 2008, 02:50 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
Have fun with this one !!

Good luck .
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Dec 13, 2008, 05:25 AM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
I hope to get thing going over this week! The only area I still do not have any documentation on, is how the flaps work. The only reference I have, is photo's of the full size landing. This is holding me back, as I can not work out the path the flaps need to follow or how far they go. All the same I am aiming to lay-out the fuselage this week.

Pete
Old Dec 13, 2008, 06:40 AM
Newcastle NSW
Joined May 2004
438 Posts
Good luck with this project. The Hudson looks great in person, especially in formation with the Wirraway and Boomerang. Cant wait to go back to Temora.

Keen to see some progress

Ace
highace1 is offline Find More Posts by highace1
Old Dec 13, 2008, 06:49 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Be interesting to see how you tackle that ball turret too..my local pet shop has some nice transparent plastic 'hamster balls' in varying sizes...

Good luck with the build

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Dec 13, 2008, 05:59 PM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
Steve I did not think of going with something already preshaped. I was thinking of making it up in several peaces. The hamster ball has given me some ideas, and no I will not use a hamster as the test pilot.
Pete
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:13 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,841 Posts
Pete - I dont know how much of the Hudson design was used in the Ventura - this is a simple flap diagram.

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie