SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2009, 02:33 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz
is the Piadget really flexible? does it flex alot when you do a snap? or a blender?

btw. what lipo are you using and whats the time ur getting?
The piaget is flexable because its epp but the carbon rods keep it fairly rigid along the fuselage etc,you can feel flex during faster high energy manuevers but thats what makes the plane so resilent.. ive been bouncing it off walls quite a bit hovering in the house the past couple days without damage other then some nics in the prop. On lipos im getting about 5 minutes from a 2 cell 430 with a 8x4 gws prop,havent flown it with the 3 cell again yet but on the maiden i got over 8 minutes with the 9x5 prop it came with and the tp 730 3 cell with the techone outrunner.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2009, 07:08 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,993 Posts
Getting cabin fever waiting for spring to get here .

Piaget Indoor Hovering 2-2-2009 (3 min 34 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2009, 09:50 PM
3DHobbyShop.com
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,528 Posts
Nice flying GR. Looks like a good hover trainer.

Building mine now. Didn't get the power set with mine. Although, I found an outrunner that looked the same as what Techone offered. My problem is the firewall cut out in the center is too big. There's nothing to screw the motor mount to. Looks like I'll have to cut a new one or add to the middle cut out. Any chance you could take some up close pics of the firewall and motor mount on yours? Maybe I'm missing something.

On a side note, I've been using the Ultimate RC Foam Glue on the build. Good stuff. I think it sets up just as fast as medium foam safe CA, even with kicker. Not sure about the weight, but as they say a little goes a long way. So I don't think it weighs much more if you use it sparingly.
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2009, 10:19 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,993 Posts
Thanks,the piaget is great for practicing hovering inside(epp is very resilent). Heres some pics of the mount.. not sure what your motor mount looks like but you could always trace the provided firewall and cut a piece with a solid center,the techone motor and composite x-mount work well though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2009, 08:40 AM
3DHobbyShop.com
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,528 Posts
Thanks for the pics. The composite X-mount is what I'm missing. The motor I found is exactly like yours. So looks like I'll cut another firewall.
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2009, 05:03 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
sounds like it flys great ill try to get one
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Feb 09, 2009, 12:40 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,993 Posts
Backyard Flying

A little tight in the yard for me but still fun . Wheres everybody elses flight reports and videos? Looking forward to seeing what else techone comes out with in the future.

Techonehobby Piaget Backyard Flying 2-8-2009 (5 min 55 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2009, 12:51 AM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
get real you just increased the chances of me getting this plane, i can finaly fly in my front year.

what prop are you using?
im thinking putting in

stock motor
turnigy 25amp esc (i have a spare)
1 hxt 900 ailerons
2 hxt 500 rudder elevator
flightmax 2s800mah 20c

my only thing i cant decide on is the prop
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Feb 09, 2009, 01:09 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,993 Posts
The esc might be a bit heavy for the piaget.. im sure it will fly fine but wont be ultra light,i got by fine though with a heavier set up when i first set it up but i fly outdoors only except for messing around hovering inside,on small area flying its very managable but for me the back yard is a bit tight with tree branches and wires etc and not as open as it looks. Im still using an 8x4 gws prop and picked up more at the shop,im not positive of the motors ratings etc but it flys well with it.. i need to make a jst adapter for my wattmeter to see what its drawing,the techone outrunner with the 9x5 gws was a bit much so i took it easy on the throttle,the tp 730 pack can burst higher than the esc rating. As long as your componets dont get to hot and the pack can deliever the voltage under load you should be fine.. it flys nice for me at 7.4oz but was also nice with more power on 3s at 8.4oz. Most will probally wanna keep it in the low 7oz range or lighter if there going to fly it exclusivly indoors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2009, 12:19 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,490 Posts
I just finished up my Piaget and as far as the construction goes, I am pleased. The build was pretty straightforward although the manual could be better. It often leaves out steps or neglects to tell you what piece to use where, but if you have built a similar plane before you will not have a problem. I also like the really lightweight plastic hinges. I built it using CA, Hot glue and Sumo glue. Anytime I had to glue EPP to EPP, I used very lightly spread Sumo glue. I used a tiny bit of CA to glue the carbon fiber rods into place and then used a small dab of hot glue at the ends of the CF rods. I found using CA and hot glue on the CF rods gives a strong but flexible hold. Just be careful you do not use too much hot glue and wipe off all excess so that you donít add too much weight.

I bought my kit from Hobbycity and it came in good shape. Mine came with the 1100kv (or so they say) motor, but I swapped it out for the HXT 1500kv motor that Groovejet previously mentioned. Running that motor with a GWS 9x5EP prop I am peaking at 10.4A and 74 watts with a 2s 460 Zippy Rhino pack (10.5A and 77 watts on the 2s 750).

The plane came out to 6.5oz (183g) without battery, 7.5oz with the 460 2s pack and 8.1oz with the 750 2s pack. That is running a 10A Turnigy esc, spektrum AR6100 receiver, 2 Eflight R60 servos (tail) and a HXT 500 (ailerons), and the previously mentioned HXT 24g 1500kv motor.

I wont get it fly it for a few days until the rain and wind stop, but it was hovering in my garage at about 50% throttle and had decent pullout power. Not great, but decent for a 2s setup. I'll have to be gentle on the throttle considering 10.5A is pushing the entire setup, but I would rather do that then prop down and lose power.

I'll give a flight report (and hopefully video) in a few days.

Matt
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:25 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Someone needs to start carrying these things local. Looks nice.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:55 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
That would be nice, Hobby City has been out of them for a couple of weeks now, just when I have enough money to buy one along with servos, receivers, etc... :-(
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:20 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,993 Posts
The local hobbytown usa here was looking to order more techone planes soon. Almost picked up a hacker a10 for mine,would be cool to see some video of how it flys with one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2009, 09:53 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,490 Posts
I finally got to fly it yesterday, but the wind was blowing about 5mph, so I can't really give a accurate flight report, but between gusts, I was able to get a good feel for it. A few things I noticed is that

1. it stays perfectly flat and level pulling full elevator inside or outside loops

2. Locks into a knife edge with no coupling at about 30% rudder.

3. Does very nice tight knife edge loops without wanting to drop a wing at the bottom

4. Trimmed for level flight, but inverted it was diving slightly.

5. Easy as can be to hover and harrier, although it was getting blown all over the place.

6. Felt very light in the air, which is bad in any kind of wind, but will be great indoors.

7. the airbrakes slow it down nicely in level flight, but it seems to pick up more speed then I like in a dive.

8. using the HXT 1500kv 24g motor, gws EP 9x5 prop, and 2s 460mAh pack, I was getting 6 minute flights. The power was decent for a 2s setup and a plane weighing 7.5oz, not that fast, but enough power to easily pull out of a hover.

9. I can already tell this will be a durable plane. When I was trying to land into the wind, the wheels touched down and stuck in the grass causing it to flip. Then the wind caught it and cart wheeled it over once more. When I checked it, it was in perfect shape.

Hopefully I will get a calm day to fly it soon. I really wish I had access to a indoor facility though.

Matt
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:35 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,993 Posts
Any new flight reports or videos?
RCG Plus Member