SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:29 AM
United States, MD, Williamsport
Joined Apr 2011
21 Posts
Just finished my Energy - Lots of rookie mistakes along the way
Keep in mind, this is for outdoor only and we always have some breeze.

AUW with 3s850 = 314g
auw airframe = 266.5g
Motor 2822/14 - from 84 hobby
18amp ESC
Turnigy 3s 850
GWS 8040 prop
(3) SG_90 Servos
Transmitter E-flite HP6DSM 6ch (Spektrum based Tx)
OrangeRx 6ch mini receiver

Tip: Never buy an HP6DSM just to save money. Airplane mode is a joke - Rudder throw is locked at 60%!!! Dual Rate does not function. Expo non-adjustable.

Tx explains Servo choice. Needed the SG-90 on rudder to get long enough arm and torque to make rudder movement acceptable.
CoG is about 2-4mm back from recommended even with the 38g motor and 3s 850 pushed forward.

Ailerons - Using the SG-90 with supplied long arm, I am getting almost equal up-down and only a few degrees of arm angle. Anyone using 3 servo set up should maximize control arm length to minimize differential.

I haven't read where anyone has tried a full length spar in the ailerons. Slow flyers shaving weight I can understand. Faster outdoor flyers, would it not reduce deflection/twist?
I am considering adding 1.3mm rods under the lower ailerons. Thoughts?

Hope to maiden later today - Will report back.
crxess is offline Find More Posts by crxess
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:58 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
The energy at that auw will fly ok,especially for outdoor flying in a breeze. I used one of those rtf heli radios to set up a plane for someone new to rc planes to set it up rtf for him.. it works but its very limited in function set up for planes but you can get throws and direction set up ok just to fly a plane with mild throws and you might have to fiddle with mechanical adjustment of the linkages to get the deflection rates to a happy medium that dont make the plane to sensitive but still give reasonable deflection rates in a 3d plane for mild flying. I started with a hs 65 for the aileron servo with a wide servo arm and had reasonable throws and roll rate,someone at the lhs had the energy as well and said the roll rate was very very slow. After talking to him and then one day seeing the plane i learned he was using a small double sided arm for the aileron servo and not getting very much throw on the ailerons at all. Carbon to stiffen the aileron control horn area will help,i didnt find it necessary with the servo i used but some wanted a quicker roll rate and tried it and said it improved the aileron authority quite a bit,Azarr had the energy and posted a pic of how he set the carbon in. The control horn connects to the aileron almost at the aileron root so there is quite a bit of twist that can eat up potential throw when the ailerons are deflected. I also tried dual aileron servos with the control horn and servos connected closer to mid aileron and that made things nicer with two 6g servos and kept the auw pretty close to the same as using the single hs 65 and gave me a lot more set up and adjustment options for the ailerons. I dont have the energy anymore,gave it to someone interested in flying planes a while back. I flew mine at 9.1oz auw mostly but it can be set up in the 8oz range or maybe less with a light build and moving servo placement forward for balance etc.

Techone Energy 3D Epp Biplane Maiden! (6 min 14 sec)

Techone Energy Epp 3D Biplane Quick Night Flight (3 min 41 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:14 PM
United States, MD, Williamsport
Joined Apr 2011
21 Posts
Get Real - Love your videos - especially the night flying in the parking lot.
Unfortunately at 58 my eyes just will not adapt to the dark that well.
Been away from flying for a long time due to life/family commitments. Now I want some me time and the electrics are perfect for that. like mini-vacations.
I've got several (5) nitro planes over 20 years old and still flyable. A beautiful 88" HyFly Yak still in the box(50cc Gas) and in the past few months have added (7) EP planes to the hanger.
LOL - I still have 4 already cut out Scratch build foamies and another Energy to build.
Wind is still up - 6mph+ and a front is moving in. May have to wait a week to try it out.

Here are a few of my fleet:
crxess is offline Find More Posts by crxess
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:04 PM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
796 Posts
we having so much fun last weekend. Here's the video............

Funfly Raya @ Wetland Putrajaya (4 min 16 sec)
Meez is offline Find More Posts by Meez