Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:21 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Discussion
1/6 scale VK DR1 withworking pilot

here are some pics of my latest build. it's a vk dr1 all electric and fully manual controls and hopefully (otto) a robotic pilot to fly it. i had to modify the kit considerbly it's built like a tank. ive already reduced the weight quite a bit. it will also have a spinning lerhone and all detail your use to from me. all the wings, stab, rudder, elev and lg are done stitched and painted. i also added the sawtoothed leading edges i was surprised the stock kit didn't come with them. i'm useing a pull pull pully control system for the alierons just like the real plane. i went with primarily a rube type frame, 3/16 dowel and alum.
spikkkkkkkk is offline Find More Posts by spikkkkkkkk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:30 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
Very nice work
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:33 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
1/6 scale VK DR1

here are a few more pics. i scaled and built the ammo shutes and installed them, "fit like a glove".
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:57 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Looks like it'll be a great build, I built this VK kit many moons ago in my 'slimer' days - you're right about it being built like a tank (so were the Veron kits too ). Still flew very well though and a lightened electric version should be even better.

Your detailing is looking very good indeed, look forward to seeing Lothar's plane in action !

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Nov 27, 2008, 05:32 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
I too built this many moons ago with a Webra 60 four stroke, it weighed a ton and was prone to ground looping on take-off and landing
Needless to say, it didn't survive that long

I'm very impressed with the amount of detailing that you have gone to.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:05 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
spikkkkkkkk,Nice build so far.I going to use the same fuse method for my DrI build.I have a book called Fokker V5/Dr.1 by Wolfgang Schusterand Achim Sven Engels.It has a factory side veiw with all dimensions.And the back of the book has the rest of the factory spec's.I'm building from Nick Ziroli plans.No not super scale plans but neither will be my color scheme.Mine will be the black and yellow checkered Dr1 from the great waldo pepper.Hey keep up the fantastic work.

KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Nov 28, 2008, 08:46 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,277 Posts
spikkkkkkkk, as usual your work is so far beyond anything of which I am capable that it just leaves me shaking my head in awe. Love to watch you work.

What ever became of your N-11? Did you rebuild it after the crash? I'm kind of hoping you will find an experienced pilot before the Fokker takes to the air.

Cheers,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:32 PM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
883 Posts
wow, awesome build so far! I'm amazed at the detail you're putting in.
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:53 AM
Guilford, Ct.
Joined Jan 2004
1,420 Posts
I love this. I'm building a scaled up (to 1/12) Peerless Dr.1 from plans right now and it's of great benefit to see the plane with all the detail...thanks.
katana2665 is offline Find More Posts by katana2665
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:02 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,016 Posts
Always wanted to do a build just like this. Very nice. You're not serious about the pilot though are you?
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:16 PM
International flyer
France, Alsace, Wissembourg
Joined Jul 2005
255 Posts
In 3 words : Beau-ti-full

I'm really impressed!
Lampatex is offline Find More Posts by Lampatex
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:57 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Always wanted to do a build just like this. Very nice. You're not serious about the pilot though are you?
Look at the mans work up to now. You think he jokes around?

I am impressed.
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Nov 29, 2008, 02:49 PM
Guilford, Ct.
Joined Jan 2004
1,420 Posts
Hey what covering is being used on this?
Old Nov 30, 2008, 06:28 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
im using nelsons fabric and i am very seriousabout the robotic pilot, the whole build revoles around it ajustable guns, seat, stick etc. thanks for the compliments.i swear by the fabric nelson sells it's lite and the shrink factor has never twisted or distorted any thing ive used it on, very forgiving and a pleasure to paint on.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 06:35 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring
spikkkkkkkk, as usual your work is so far beyond anything of which I am capable that it just leaves me shaking my head in awe. Love to watch you work.

What ever became of your N-11? Did you rebuild it after the crash? I'm kind of hoping you will find an experienced pilot before the Fokker takes to the air.

Cheers,
Jeff
yes it's all rebuilt for the most part some of the fabric doesn't match to what i had on previously but you can hardly tell. im just trying to match what i have on the other side as far as paint and airbrush effects, thanks for asking.
Old Dec 02, 2008, 08:34 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
1/6 Vk Dr1

here are a few more pics of the build so far. i wanted to post some pics of the etching i did this weekend, i'm still trying to master it but its seems to be going well.i etched all the belt hardware, the control quadrant. i stiil have to make a lot of parts by hand, things you can't etch and vice versa. the detail you can get is incredible. i also finished my WB guns and found that no matter how much you clean the WB gun sights up they never look qrisp so i made my own buy useing very fine music wire and sanding down some plastic tube to 1/32". i fabricated the control stick and rigged the rest of the fuse minus the turnbuckles as its going to to be covered anyway, as it is i'm going to need eight turnbuckles for the control cables. i have to get far more tension than you could put on a servo if i'm going to have a piloted aircraft.
Old Dec 02, 2008, 08:40 AM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
9,016 Posts
spikkkkkkkk-- This is one of the most spectacular models ever seen on these pages.

I wonder if you can share how you propose to make the pilot? It's quite amazing to think that you'll have a robot really flying the plane.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2008, 10:00 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,931 Posts
Incredible! Some of you guys in this Scale area are just too good.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Dec 02, 2008, 10:47 AM
Guilford, Ct.
Joined Jan 2004
1,420 Posts
is that a photoetch sheet on the barrel shroud or laser cut wood?
Old Dec 02, 2008, 11:25 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,524 Posts
Glad to see you are back on track with another wonderful build. Keep it away from the drunks.
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Last edited by pburress; Dec 02, 2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2008, 01:13 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by katana2665
is that a photoetch sheet on the barrel shroud or laser cut wood?
niether , it's a WB kit its plastic
Old Dec 02, 2008, 01:29 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Quote:
spikkkkkkkk-- This is one of the most spectacular models ever seen on these pages.

I wonder if you can share how you propose to make the pilot? It's quite amazing to think that you'll have a robot really flying the plane.

Mike
the basics are just as if i would have servos running the controls only i'm reversing them. legs. think of a servo placed horizontal along with the horn, it's like a push pull system, one leg extends to push ruddder to right at the same time his other leg pulls up towards the pilot. left arm is throttle look at it as if you had a servo in your shoulder socket that will move forw and backwards right arm forw and back for elev. and left and right to control the alierons. i'm going to assemble a robotic body and dress it up. of course it will be a little more involved than that elbows and knees will bend also with TX input.
Old Dec 02, 2008, 01:39 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Marvellous work - I admire the patience level of anyone who can build like that, let alone the skill factor!

Steve
Old Dec 02, 2008, 02:03 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
What is your modelling background? It is rare for us mere mortals to see such work...
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Dec 02, 2008, 03:29 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,181 Posts
Spikkkkkk:

Hats off once again! You work is simply amazing. I can't believe your level of detail and skill. Can you please tell us how you made the fuse... is it mostly with dowels and aluminium tubing? I gather this was not part of the original kit? Keep posting those beautiful pics.

Alex
Rekitter is offline Find More Posts by Rekitter
Old Dec 02, 2008, 07:25 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Wonderful model, wonderful Modeling skills!!

Hats off to you sir!!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Dec 08, 2008, 05:15 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Vk Dri Build

aside from the guns the cockpit is pretty much done, here are a few more pics.
Old Dec 09, 2008, 12:32 AM
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined Jun 2008
436 Posts
The level of workmanship and speed of completion here is insane. Having seen your other work (e.g. the Nieuport) it makes me wonder what you do/did for a day job...
Levendis is offline Find More Posts by Levendis
Old Dec 09, 2008, 04:43 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
879 Posts
Very nice work,

I hope your developing your flying skills so that you can fly your models yourself after the disaster that was the first flight of your Nieuport-11 !!
BuildItWright is offline Find More Posts by BuildItWright
Last edited by BuildItWright; Dec 09, 2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2008, 04:20 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
It goes without saying that your level of work is absolutely astounding. I was wondering what you plan to use for the pilot. Would you be making him? I'm subscribed!...

-PiperCub49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Dec 09, 2008, 06:10 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
He's got a shrinko ray and access to a full scale DR1 sitting in a barn somewhere in Germany which he's cabbaging parts from. Final step is to shrink himself and fly it.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Dec 09, 2008, 06:11 PM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 2004
1,002 Posts
SPIKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK,

Nice Job on the DRI! I have a 40" version, but keep thinking about the VK models 1/6 DRI. I am amazed at detailed parts you have made. Did you buy the kit from Proctor? It may be my winter project next year, I am currently finishing a 1/6 Pilot Tiger Moth I purchased on E-Bay, needs alot of work.

can't wait to see the finished product! hope you have flown a DRI model before, they can be tough to handle

AD
AeroDude is offline Find More Posts by AeroDude
Old Dec 09, 2008, 06:40 PM
United States, CA, Lemoore
Joined Nov 2008
457 Posts
Amazing
Svede is online now Find More Posts by Svede
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sea Bull maidened
Old Dec 09, 2008, 08:21 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Good stuff there. Haven't seen one from this kit since not long after I first learned to fly RC, back around 1982-ish. How a VK kit got to the north of Scotland was never explained - at the exchange rate back then, around $3 to the UK pound, the cost of getting one in the UK was staggering.

Best I recall, it wasn't this fancy either! You've put some serious effort into adding scale detailing.

That thing on ground looping - I've seen several scale models of various sizes of the DR1 fly and the constant is, the nearer to scale the rudder is, the worse they get around take off and landing. Nearest I got was a slightly under 1/6th Focker EV/DVIII parasol, which I designed and built with a scale rudder. With that steep ground angle with the tailwheel on the deck, that huge tailplane and elevator blanks out the rudder - which means as you crank on the power to take off, there's no rudder to help out against the torque swing.

On landing, it was okay as she came down the slope. Snag was, try a three pointer and I had no rudder. Some better if I wheeled her on, but as the tail dropped, the rudder went to being an ornament again.

She lasted thirteen flights - the only one in any decent wind was around her eighth, the wind held her straight on her take off and landing maneuvres and I won the scale comp she was entered in that day!

If you want some modern day proof, look at that itty-bitty BARF Dr1 tripe Tower Hobbies sell. Compare its rudder to 'scale'

Your pilot is eagerly awaited - is 'he' going to actually move the controls, or just respond to them? I have vague memories of an article concerning a 'working' pilot that housed RC gear in a UK mag years ago, but they are vague and the success or otherwise fails to come to mind.

Regards
Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 10, 2008, 06:46 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
..I hope you get the model pilot nice and drunk before inserting 4 servos into him...

Dereck is right re the rudder size, mine was a little insensitive on control too. I recall Gordon Whitehead greatly increased the size of his 48" Avro 504 'comma' rudder in order to make it effective.

Steve
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:41 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25
..I hope you get the model pilot nice and drunk before inserting 4 servos into him...

Dereck is right re the rudder size, mine was a little insensitive on control too. I recall Gordon Whitehead greatly increased the size of his 48" Avro 504 'comma' rudder in order to make it effective.

Steve
Anywhere near Hull?

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Miles away, Dereck! I'm up near Newcastle upon Tyne, in 'Toon Army' land

Steve
(For our non-English pals, the 'Toon Army' is Newcastle United soccer team...whose trophy cabinet is rather bare...and has been for some considerable time)
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:16 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1 Posts
You may want to check on the pinked tape (sawtooth finishing tape) on a
DrI. I don't think it was used on them; rather, a ripped edge was used. PS, always go out of your way to make the tail light (weight) during building of a WW1 a/c. Norman M.
norman74n is offline Find More Posts by norman74n
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:20 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,691 Posts
Hi Spikkkkkkkk,
Your "Skill factor" is fantastic, and I have been building for 38 years, make's me want too "really" make my next build the best I have done. Its a Proctor 1/4 Scale Fokker D-VII
Great Building for sure!
Joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Dec 19, 2008, 01:54 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Spikkkkkkk,

I know that this is a strange request, but could you please check your PM box. I'd like to ask you some questions, but it seems that you haven't seen them.

My apologies for the unrelated post.

Thank you,
PiperCub49
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:30 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
vk dr1 working pilot

i just finished the wheels. i was going to make my own spoked wheels but was going to cover them anyway so this is what i did. i purchashed a spoked wheel kit from manzano lazer for 15.00. there only good for up to for pounds so i laminated 4 pieces of 1/32 plywood ( very strong this way and light) and used a a center piece to expand and strengthen the wheel then i laced them up with the fishing line each side separately and then covered them with nelsons litefab. they came out very tight no wrinkles and give the illusion of spokes underneath. there about 75% lighter than the williams bros. wheels. here are some pics of the wheels and a few of the plane and where i'm at.
Last edited by spikkkkkkkk; Dec 26, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:05 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
vk dr1 build

i wasn't really happy with the tires they just wern't quite there so i went out and found some 5 in rubber o rings and they were about an 1/8" bigger and heavier material so i cut them to size and sort of revulcanized together with some liquid rubber compound i made from the scrape and baked them for 15 minutes at 450 degrees. i tried like hell to pull them apart at the seam but couldn't do it so now i'm happy with the look and there exactly 4 and 3/8 ". heres a pic of the new tires you can see the difference right away.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:27 AM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,691 Posts
Looking very nice! Wishing you a great New Year!
joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:57 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Impressive Job Spikkkkkkkk !

can't wait to see the Pilot

Seasons greetings from over the pond

rawy
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Dec 31, 2008, 04:30 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
1/6 lerhone

here are a couple of pics of the lerhone. nothing fancy just a WB kit with some airbrushing and metal buff paint. i picked up a bayonets and barbed wire red baron to make robotic. it really is a nice 1/6 figure and great clothing. i'll post some pics when i recieve it.
Old Jan 01, 2009, 01:07 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,732 Posts
Great work and some nice ideas If it wasn't for the background carpet and furniture, it might be a restored DR1

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jan 01, 2009, 08:56 AM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 2004
1,002 Posts
spikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,

great work! I'm real interested in how you incorporate the pilot. Here is the link to the pilot if anyone wants to see it. Can't wait for the first flight!

http://www.action-figure.com/modules...index&id=67985

AD
Old Jan 05, 2009, 08:03 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
vk dr1 build

here are some pics of the finished plane onto the pilot now.
Last edited by spikkkkkkkk; Jan 05, 2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 08:32 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Let me be the first of many to say this...SUPERB!

Steve
Old Jan 05, 2009, 09:12 AM
Acrobataholic
Bremen, Georgia, USA
Joined Sep 2003
96 Posts
I can just imagine the PMs flowing into his inbox right now: Mr. Spikkkkkkk, My name is XXXXX, curator of the (Choose one: National Air and Space Museum, Imperial War Museum, etc).. and We would love to be the future home of any aircraft you feel like constructing. Don't bother even asking what we'd like you to build - if you build it, we'll exhibit it!

Man, I'm in awe. Absolutely amazing, again.
jeremyakro is offline Find More Posts by jeremyakro
Old Jan 05, 2009, 11:00 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,277 Posts
Ungodly beautiful. I'm starting to think Grejen was right, Spikkkkk has found a way to shrink a full-size DRI.

Congratulations on another outstanding build. Would that I had half your skill.

Cheers,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Jan 05, 2009, 02:12 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,931 Posts
One of the best builds I've ever seen. Excellent, looking forward to the pilot controls.

Pete
Old Jan 05, 2009, 02:38 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Only problem is it kinda makes a mere "flying model builder" such as myself to simply toss in the towel. It's rare to see such detail in a static model never mind something intended to be flown!

btw - whilst oggling the fine scale detail I didn't notice before that the actuall power system seems to be missing? I suppose the ESC and Rx will be installed in the pilot figure (antenna built into the scarf?) but the motor and battery and wiring are very well hidden. That LeRohn doesn't actually work does it?
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grejen; Jan 05, 2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 02:48 PM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Thats many tiny parts to search around the flying field when Mom called three times already and said angry :
- another weekend you did nothing with the Kids !

Amazing job Spikkkkkk !
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Jan 05, 2009, 04:21 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,181 Posts
Unbelievable job on the DR1. Your building skill and patience are remarkable. Good luck with the madien!
Rekitter is offline Find More Posts by Rekitter
Old Jan 06, 2009, 07:04 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Vk Dr1 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen
Only problem is it kinda makes a mere "flying model builder" such as myself to simply toss in the towel. It's rare to see such detail in a static model never mind something intended to be flown!

btw - whilst oggling the fine scale detail I didn't notice before that the actuall power system seems to be missing? I suppose the ESC and Rx will be installed in the pilot figure (antenna built into the scarf?) but the motor and battery and wiring are very well hidden. That LeRohn doesn't actually work does it?
the outrunner, esc and rx are right in front of the fire wall and the battery also. if you look at the bottom shot you'll see a hatch thats magnetic and pops right out so it can be turned on or off and the drop down recharge cable. i use two 11 v 2500 mah 20c batteries in parallel and 2826-06 tunrnigy outrunner with a 70 amp speed controller and there is one servo in there to control the throttle movement. if you look close you can see the antenna wire rolled up and hanging there by the cabanes on the right side. that will be dropped down and up the pilots pants leg. i did want the lerhone to spin like the nieuport 11 but i opted not too because the bearing alone is custom made and cost over a 100.00 and if i have any money to spend i'd spend it on the pilot. i'm building the pilot with just stuff i have around. ive got maybe a 100 servos all diff. sizes , 20 outrunners. 25 speed controllers, another dozen rx etc., etc. so i have plenty of electronics to build with. i did want to mention the lerhone almost completly wraps around the out runner with the exception of 3/4 " in the rear.
Old Jan 06, 2009, 07:10 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Vk Dri Build

i'd like to thank everyone for the great compliments and support.
Old Jan 06, 2009, 08:24 AM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,050 Posts
Spikkkkkkkk - I don't even feel like I should even be allowed to post in this thread.... Simply amazing...

Best of luck on your maiden!
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
Old Jan 06, 2009, 09:07 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,170 Posts
Absolutely amazing, and I always thought an RC pilot like you are building was a good idea. It (he) can be moved from plane to plane, if all are at the same scale, even at the field. Of course the control setup necessary to be able to use the RC pilot is more difficult than installing the servos directly, but all models built for the pilot would be completely scale, both in looks and function.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Jan 06, 2009, 09:59 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,832 Posts
Master modelers like this are inspiration and teachers to all who aspire to some level of perfectionism. It's a shame that the many master modelers and others are not given mass media coverage and public acclaim that rock stars and sports heroes receive. Master modelers get most of their appreciation and encouragement from fellow modelers like us.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 06, 2009, 10:13 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
vk dr1 build

all i can say is i'm grateful lothar was a little runt. i would have to pic a plane with one of the tightest cockpits going to make a robotic pilot for and not mention my cockpit is modified from a kit which even makes it little smaller, thanks lothar for not eating your wheaties and smoking 3 packs a day at age 12. he looks like a little boy next to the baron. no way could i fit a 12" figure in that cockpit but lothar saved the day at 9.8".
Old Jan 06, 2009, 12:46 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Lothar was the taller of the two brothers - I noticed your Richthofen pic in Post #48 is labeled 'Lothar and Manfred', but it should read 'Manfred and Lothar' if you're going from left to right. You'll have to stretch that 'runt' pilot figure a bit

Steve
Old Jan 06, 2009, 02:44 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
vk dr1 build

your right, oh well i'll have to scale him down a little bit , between 6.5 and 1/7 scale. i didn't know where to start on this pilot seeing as how it's going to be a pain in the ass that's where i started. i mounted 2 servos in the lower abdomen for hip movment. i have about a hundred servo's kicking around so i had to find the smallest and strongest, they have to be able to hold the stick and rudder in place just like a conventional set-up. i also etched some 20mm stainless steel joints. they will connect either to 3/16" hardwood dowel or alum. tube, maybe both. those will become his appendeges with hands and feet attached. this 12' action figure i hacked apart is the cheaper blitzkreg model and i'll be using the head, hands and clothes from the more expensive and better bayonetts and barbed wire version. i'm going to try and make it as light as possible. here are a few pics.
Old Jan 06, 2009, 03:04 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
9,016 Posts
This is what I've been waiting for.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2009, 04:07 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
It's a Terminator!...*Arnie's voice* 'I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle'

I think EVERYONE is waiting to see this wonderful figure come to life; I'm sure it will be worth waiting for too.

Steve
Old Jan 07, 2009, 11:57 AM
Tiptree Essex England
Joined Sep 2007
150 Posts
Hi all
I have only read the last two pages of this thread, I don't normally but in on other peoples conversations but in this instant I cant help my self in adding my congratulations to a wonderful build and a builder that deserves all the credits that bestowed upon him if he was inclined to enter the Top gun competition I'm sure some of the regular competitors would have to move aside to make room for him.
Once again congratulations on a beautiful model.
Regards Dave
DavidDSW is offline Find More Posts by DavidDSW
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:27 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
vk dr1 working pilot

here are a few more pics of the pilots progress. every thing seems to work well at this point just understand it's basic robotics he will fly the plane he wont get out and shake hands with everyone. the bottom half walks very well and even has a certain stride about it. as i said before i'm building this pilot from stuff i have laying around so its more difficult than if i was a systems manager and had the finances to order muscle wire, actuators,framework and put them all together. they have kits out there for twelve year olds with all the hi-tech parts to build there own robots. so it's a lot of trial and error for me, try this try that. i built a quicki mock up of the seat and rudder bar and every thing fits well and works well so far all i have to do is connect the top half with the bottom half and build the arms. there is a total of 6 micro servos installed in the lower torso and upper chest. i modified this to sections from the action figure and will be the only parts i'll be using besides the head,hands and feet. i cut out most of the plastic on the inside to reduce weight and used balsa to mount the servos in the upper portion. these action figures are heavy they weigh almost 2 lbs so you could never use one stand alone for a dummy pilot even, not on this plane anyway. i'm going to cover the limbs with 3/4" super lite foam tubes so he will look muscular not like a bag of bones under those clothes. i'll keep you all updated on the progress. i just wanted to mention that round thing on his butt is a lite foam tire. he has no thighs so there wasn't much meat down there and i had to form the rest of his behind and it also houses a rare earth magnet thers one in the seat of the plane also so once they line up and connect his butt wont move off that spot i didn't want to rely on the belts holding him in place. all the alum. welds are with zinc and a special flux that would eat the paint off a barn door and once you get used to using it, it works extremely well. i'm going to do a intire 1/6 alum. frame with it one day soon.
Last edited by spikkkkkkkk; Jan 10, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:06 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
If I had a rare earth magnet in my butt I would need a soft tyre to sit on too...

I think this pilot is absolutely brilliant, I've never seen anything like this before, it's such a shame that most of it will be hidden in that tiny cockpit as you said. I hope we get some video of him 'in action' before you install him in the plane.

Steve
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:16 AM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
9,016 Posts
I do wish to see video too. I'm trying to figure out how a single servo using only one end of the servo arm can cause both extension and flexion of the limb. I'm guessing that one of those motions is passive and that the sliding captive wire at the back of the knee gives it spring. There's a lever at the hip attached to the servo arm?

I'm amazed by this build.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:42 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
i dont own a video camera but when the time comes i'll see if i can borrow one. it would be a shame and a loss to everyone who's interested not to have tape. thanks for following the thread.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 03:43 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
9,016 Posts
I don't want to keep you away from the workbench but can you take a few close ups of the hip joint and leg as they attach to the servo. I'm trying to understand the mechanism. I'm looking to copy it at all, I'm just curious of how it all works and you get the desired motion.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you will make the arms work the stick. It seems a pretty complicated integrated series of motions to mix the movement of the stick for ailerons and elevator. Are you planning on rotating the entire torso to gain the side to side aileron stick movement?

I have to say that this thread has me more interested than any other that I've followed in a very long time.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2009, 04:40 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikkkkkkkk
i dont own a video camera but when the time comes i'll see if i can borrow one. it would be a shame and a loss to everyone who's interested not to have tape. thanks for following the thread.
I should be able to take a video for you (no point intended).

Very nice though! That's just incredible to me.

-PC49
Old Jan 10, 2009, 06:26 PM
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Jan 2008
877 Posts
Spikkkkkkkkk!!

I knew there was something familliar about you. I've told your story to my children and rode your ride at DisneyLand and for those of you who don't know Spikkkkkk's real name it's Geppetto, Pinnochio's father.

In all Honesty I can't decide if I think your really from the future and the inventor of Skynet or Geppetto either way you have to be FICTIONAL!! this is too far out there!

So How much time will it take you to give ol' Pinnochio life ? seems to me at this pace you should be done very soon!

As usual, mind boggling work!

Brent
vp46 is offline Find More Posts by vp46
Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:01 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Quote:
I don't want to keep you away from the workbench but can you take a few close ups of the hip joint and leg as they attach to the servo. I'm trying to understand the mechanism. I'm looking to copy it at all, I'm just curious of how it all works and you get the desired motion.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you will make the arms work the stick. It seems a pretty complicated integrated series of motions to mix the movement of the stick for ailerons and elevator. Are you planning on rotating the entire torso to gain the side to side aileron stick movement?

I have to say that this thread has me more interested than any other that I've followed in a very long time.

Mike
heres a couple close ups for you, it's just a regular old servo horn that's has a stainless steel doubler on the front for strength and a wire hook-up to form a"L". what people don't know is that i only have to move the pilots arm is 1/8" to move the control surfaces 5/8" that's what s gonna make the hole robot feasible, limited extension. i built a throw amplifier if you want to call it that and it's installed in the lower section of the aircraft about 3" before the cables exit. normally if you move the stick 1/2" the surface moves 1/2" which would make that robot's arm persay move 3/4 of an inch each way and i dont think there's all that much room in the cockpit so that's how i solved the proplem. unfortunatly i can't share the pics of this throw system right now, i built and designed it and have some one interested in buying it, it,s also very light weight and completly mechanical and works like a charm and am amazed no ones come up with somthing like this sooner. how would you increase your throws ? i wish i could share this with everyone but don't want to compromise money options as i am unemployed. any other way i can help just ask. thanks for your interest mike.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:10 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vp46
Spikkkkkkkkk!!

I knew there was something familliar about you. I've told your story to my children and rode your ride at DisneyLand and for those of you who don't know Spikkkkkk's real name it's Geppetto, Pinnochio's father.

In all Honesty I can't decide if I think your really from the future and the inventor of Skynet or Geppetto either way you have to be FICTIONAL!! this is too far out there!

So How much time will it take you to give ol' Pinnochio life ? seems to me at this pace you should be done very soon!

As usual, mind boggling work!

Brent
his legs do look like pinoc's, good observation brent
Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:37 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
9,016 Posts
I get it now. As for your mechanism, don't even discuss it until your buyer signs the check. We don't need to know. I used a simple lever device in a foamie Sopwith Camel a few years back to connect the surface control threads to the servo. I think that someone called it a "walking leg" or something like that. Wasn't my idea but it worked. I wasn't trying to increase or decrease the load on the servo but rather to have the threads controlling the elevator and rudder mounted to a lever with the right moments.

Your robot build reminds me of something I saw online a few years back when I was into RC tanks. I was playing with the $90 1/16th scale Heng Long tanks but was always interested in the 1/6th scale (old 12" tall GI Joe sized) models. Way to much $$ for poor old me. Anyway, there is a guy, his named is Vince Abbot I think, who was making robots to man his Tiger tanks. I guess that they should more correctly be called "animatronics" rather than "robots" since they were essentially moving models while yours actually performs a task or tasks. I'm on the old PC right now so I can't find the links to videos of his GI Joe's doing their thing. If you don't mind me posting links I will. I don't want to clutter up your amazing thread.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:04 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
vk dr1 working pilot

post away mike, my thread is your thread and thanks for understanding. i'm poor too, thats why i'm building this with stuff i have laying around i mean if i could buy the parts and mechanisms it would be easy this ways harder but tests your resourcefullness and enginuity and you get more from it in the end, it's like wow i built this and works and from that pile crap like the phoenix rising from the ashes. look at the movie flight of the phoenix not the remake the real one with jimmy stewart and harvey kruegar. when they found out he was a model designer they died, big plane little plane it's all the same basic stuff and worked. your not to far off the mark with your walking leg. rob
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:49 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7 Posts
Another fascinating build; I think even you have out done yourself with this one though, spikkkkkkkk. Very happy to hear you saved the N-11 and definatly looking forward to seeing you finish this sweet dr1.
laus is offline Find More Posts by laus
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:23 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49
I should be able to take a video for you (no point intended).

Very nice though! That's just incredible to me.

-PC49
thanks, i'll take you up on that when i'm done and it's ready.
Last edited by spikkkkkkkk; Jan 12, 2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:16 AM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 2004
1,002 Posts
spikkkkkkkk,

update! update! update!

por favor

I live for this thread!

AD
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:37 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
had to tear down and start over. there just isn't enough cockpit space and i also had to cut the weight in half to protect my CG. i stopped thinking complicated because the best engineered things are simple with less things to go wrong. i'll post a pick of the new chassie i built. i tested the legs on the new pull-pull lower portion of the robot and they work far better than what i had. i'll keep you updated on the progress. he's just relaxing now but you can ,see the direction i took. the frame will be completely alum. and have complete X/Y for the right shoulder. little by little i'll get there. i did have his pants on when testing the legs and the movements look very real. i know it doesn't look like much now but with the built up foam and his clothes on sitting in that cockpit actually operating the plane he will be a stunner.
Last edited by spikkkkkkkk; Jan 20, 2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 05:37 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,931 Posts
Looks cool to me, but you'll need to throw a little mud on those boots
Keep it going...

Pete
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:40 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
9,016 Posts
I like how you've redond the hip rotational movement. Very simple. I'm really interested in seeing how you tackle the more complex mixed motions of the arms as they control the stick with strength to actuate the controls.

You do great work.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:22 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
working pilot

i got some more done mike. the right arm which is the control arm will have three servos, 2 to operate the X,Y and one to push the elbow horz. with the shoulder movement. the tape and chord is holding apart in position until th JB weld sets. theres also a servo for the head to move with the rudder. ive got four servos installed and one to go. you can see how the shoulder works. there's a servo turning horz. with the vertical shoulder servo attached, so if i take the jotstick and rotate it in a circle thats exactly what his arm will be doing. left arm is for the throttle which will control the arm. i installed a ball joint so no matter what action the pilot is takeing this set-up should be able to compensate for all the twisting movement. i'm trying to keep it simple and strong. a professer in college many years ago told me simplicity is the key to good engineering and every problem contains it's own solution. i never forgot those words. right now it weighs about 5.25 oz. and i don't expect it to get over 7 oz.. here's a couple more pics and i'll keep everyone posted on the progress. i also reajusted my control stick to control surfaces. there's not alot of room in this modified cockpit for the stick to move enough to get the movement on the control surfaces so right now the differential is 1/2" on stick translates to 5/8" at the CS. the way i had it before would have led to overcontrolling and probably a crash. so hopefully these new ajustments will do it. BTW do't let the way he looks fool you, i don't look so hot with my clothes off either.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:28 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Saying every engineering problem contains its own solution is a nice positive spin, prior to that I had only been told that every engineered product carries within it the seeds of its own destruction. I like your version better .

Thanks for sharing this wonderful exercise in original design with us, it is always a pleasure to log on and see your latest addition to this project.

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:28 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
well i'm 90% done just have to install some shields over moving parts and sculpt some soft foam to fill in here and there and then get some clothes on this pervert, some light air brushing on the clothes and skin for more realism and then stick him in the fokker DR1 and will see what he can do. here's a few more pics.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:25 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
I have been following your work...and I must say: Very impressive!

On a side note: I think your pilot looks a bit like Colts Quarterback Peyton Manning....I've wondered what he does in the off season
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:13 PM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2008
322 Posts
Spike, thank you sooo much! I showed your work to my wife who now believes that I am NOT obsessed with RC......not since she has whitnessed a true madman in action....talk about taking the pressure off...you are my hero....oh and unbelievable work too..

Cheers

Hawk
Wynterhawk is offline Find More Posts by Wynterhawk
Old Jan 23, 2009, 07:51 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,832 Posts
OMG, what if he freezes up on the stick on his first solo? Better give him some time in der Linkisher Trainermaschine.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:11 PM
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
966 Posts
But where is Igor?

i am certain you are just waiting for that giant thunder storm to materialize and zap your bionic pilot to life.Curious to know what your background is simply because i find this thread fascinating. Joe
mistairjoe is online now Find More Posts by mistairjoe
Old Jan 24, 2009, 05:09 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistairjoe
i am certain you are just waiting for that giant thunder storm to materialize and zap your bionic pilot to life.Curious to know what your background is simply because i find this thread fascinating. Joe
most of my life i was a lighting and stage designer for many different rock bands,comedians, etc.. i am a graphic artist,engineer and lets put it this way i did a whole lot of different s--t in my life. this is the first time ive done rc aircraft and modeling, been at it a little over a year and i kinda enjoy it, maybe to much. thanks for asking joe.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:03 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
If you don't mind, how do you stamp out all these different micro parts? Looks to me like you have you own little machine shop.

-PC49
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:31 AM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
9,016 Posts
Another video:

Animatronic Figure Resin Kit. (1 min 16 sec)

I like the action of the left arm for the throttle.
Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:56 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49
If you don't mind, how do you stamp out all these different micro parts? Looks to me like you have you own little machine shop.

-PC49
most of them are made by me with regular hand tools, call it sculpture this is true with all my models. last month i did add a small etch tank to my arsenal of tools it's a lot of work and you are limited to the gauge of the metal you can cut so i still do the majority by hand.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 01:07 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
All the more amazing!

-PC49
Old Jan 24, 2009, 01:20 PM
Essex UK
Joined Apr 2007
634 Posts
Hi spikkkkkkkk'
My dad told me of this thread but failed to give me the link I've found it now and have become completely hooked on following your progress! I remember your thread on RCMF for your other model, great levels of detail in that one too! I didn't realise it had crashed on it's maiden, sorry to hear that, but hey It happens.......I've crashed my fair share the same as I've had my fair share of success.
I've seen pilots 'stitched to false controls that are linked to a conventional set up, I've also seen pilots with servos in them moving false controls. But this is something else, a pilot that is actually going to fly the plane! OK, you've got me hooked,.........when's the next update

Oh, just one more thought..........perhaps you need to fit a spring up his backside and give him a german WWI chute, so if you do get in to difficulty he can at least bail out and live to fly again
Keep up the fantastic work!
Cheers,
Walts.
walts is offline Find More Posts by walts
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:52 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
dr1 working pilot

just finished getting the pilot installed and fine tuning every thing, like with all my models i add a lot of detail so no doubt when modifying a kit like this you are going to have extra weight so i needed to balance. i use the vanessa system to balance my planes. i love it because you can do everything your self and you don't ned 4 hands. ive been through these weight issues before so now when i know a plane is going to be overweight i build a 3/8" arch in the cowl especially if it abs or fiberglass to give it strentgth and to add weight. it's only balsa so there not much weight there but what i do is drill about 24 3/16x 2'' holes to accept lead rods so i don't have to fart around to find some place to put extra weight to balance. it's already built in and will take anywhere from 1/2 oz to 1 lb. in any case the pilot works great and actually works and looks better than i ever anticipated. the throws are where they should be, it's all balanced,BTW i had to add almost 15 oz. of weight.i'm posting a few pics of the pilot in the cockpit in his leathers and also a quicki diagram of what i do if theres going to be a weight issue. i will have have video in a couple of days i'm waiting for a mini camera to come in so i can put somewhat in the cockpit so you can see what's really going on with his movements it will definately blow you away. i know this because thats what it did to me and i'm my worst critic. 2 or 3 days at the most and i'll have the video and i also want to add a little realism to the pilots face but useing some oils subtle but distinct.
Last edited by spikkkkkkkk; Feb 05, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2009, 05:30 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,931 Posts
Too cool...

Pete
Old Feb 04, 2009, 05:46 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikkkkkkkk
[I] think every thing i do sucks.
How can you possibly think that?! I'm just kidding of course...

Once again, simply amazing! I can't wait for the video!

-PC49
Last edited by PiperCub49; Feb 04, 2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2009, 06:44 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Even if the pilot was non-working, he still looks superb.

A lot of otherwise excellent models are spoiled by the pilot figure - either too small/large, poorly dressed and too 'toyish' or (worst of all)...missing! I'm guilty of the last one, having no pilot in my Eindekker yet.

Looking forward to the video.

Steve