HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:42 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Discussion
Opinion Needed BEST EDF Electric Park Flyer Jet:

Opinion Needed BEST EDF Jet Electric Park Flyer:

There are a ton of new park flyer Jets out there. This seems to be the rage at our club. Most if not all the ones I've seen in stock trim seem too slow and underpowered. Which do you think are the best ones and which ones should I stay away from.

Just looking for oppioninos on a couple of good EDF jets I should look into.

I've seen the A-7 Corsair II Hobby Lobby and I was not very impressed at all. It seem very slow didnt climb out very well at all. I also so similar hobby lobby F4-Phantom and that was even slower.

What better alternatives are out there?
Fidy$Trainer is online now Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:23 AM
Nam AV8TR
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Nov 2005
156 Posts
Hello FD....You'll never find the perfect plane that does it all perfectly. Everyone has their own needs and that is what makes this hobby fun. IMHO you can't go wrong with Hobby People's Phase 3 Fantom or F-16. I feel the Fantom is highly under-rated. It does everything well overall. (see Youtube "Phase 3 Fantom Twin"), We use four of them for our trainers at "Vegas Aces", AMA's first chartered park fliers club. If you want more positive stability put 15 degrees dihedral in each wing. If you want speed then chose the f-16. There are others out there but so far I haven't seen anything that beats the price or value, or cool factor. Technically, neither plane qualifies as a "park flier" but there is such a thing as throttle control and 2s batteries instead of 3s. Sadly both are made from beer cooler foam (although high quality), so if you are looking for more durability, nothing beats Multiplex's Elapor foam as in the Easy Star or Twister. Hope this helps. Thanks for reading. Darrell Stubbs, Pres. Vegas Aces 2008, 2009.
Sugarbear36 is offline Find More Posts by Sugarbear36
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:46 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,235 Posts
I really like the Alpha F-86 saber
it hand launches better than any of my foamies..

with a 5 blade fan and a little jet screamer it flys killer

I have flown it on 4s and 3s

for me I like it better on 3s.. it's lighter so it lands nicer and still has great speed.. it handles the wind really well.. and is a no brainer to build and fly

that's my pick for best park jet

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Nov 27, 2008, 01:08 PM
Palma de Mallorca
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
I like the Alpha MiG-15
with a 5 blade fan and a mega 17/7/4 and 3s 1300 mah
Tranes is offline Find More Posts by Tranes
Old Nov 27, 2008, 01:49 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Global/Phase 3 F-16, Twister on 4S, Starmax F-18C (the big one), Starmax F-35 (insanely fast), GWS A4, etc

All go as fast as you want with the right motor/fan combo. Most of the RTFs are underpowered.

The other thing is: a 1:16 scale F-16 (eg) going 100MPH is going full scale 1600 MPH, which the actual full scale plane can't do. Also, in my case, my reflexes and eyes are only good to about 100 MPH.

How fast do you want to go??
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Nov 27, 2008, 02:55 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
Another vote for the Alfa Mig15. Brilliant little package, great performance even with the standard 3 blade fan on 3S 20C 1500mA, ROG's, no bad vices.

Check out the Alfa thread in the electric warbirds forum here - its quite long, so use the search function to search for F86 or Mig15 within the thread.
CaseySP is online now Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:18 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,235 Posts
I loved the Alfa mig also
I went threw three of them

it would rog great.. but if the grass got high and I had to hand launch
sometime it would go all wrong.. I hand launched hundreds of times with no problem ... but three times it climbed straight up before I could even get to the sticks... it cost me three migs ..then I gave up one them

the saber has never giving me a problem... but the mig did fly nicer

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:57 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Only problem with Alfas are they are extremely fragile. For all you aces out there who never crash, they're fine. For the rest of us, get used to wrinkled up noses, etc, and an early demise.......
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:57 PM
"One more time around"
Tucson, Az
Joined Mar 2007
122 Posts
Has anyone tried the Eflite F-16? I've been looking for a thread for it but haven't found anyone even talking about it. I'm curious how it flys and does it have enough power? It looks really good but we all know looks can be decieving. Anyways if anyone knows if there is a thread for it and can point me in the direction of it, that would be great or if anyone knows anything about it here I would like to know how it performs. Thanks !!
Alan Carter is offline Find More Posts by Alan Carter
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:48 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
My first EDF was the Arttech SU-27 (brushless version). It was my 3rd plane after a supercub and parkzone t-28 so i was a bit nervous. It flew beautifully and I needn't have worried.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:06 AM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Yeah, I think the Phase3, hobby People F-16 is still the popular, bang for the buck, EDF. And you can modify the heck out of 'em as your skills and your desire for grows. You can get some nice aftermarket fiberglass parts from "Air Sally" (like Nose Cones, and inlet rings)

There are "Scale like" maneuvers, with "scale like" speeds used for entering and executing aerobatics used by the AMA for contests.
But for all out straight line speed there is no such thing a "scale Speed". Because you are not flying a scaled down course.
If you put a mouse in your 1/16:1 F-16, going 150 mph, the mouse is going 150 mph.
If you put a man in 1/2:1 scale DC-10, going 150 mph, the man is going 150 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelberts
a 1:16 scale F-16 (eg) going 100MPH is going full scale 1600 MPH,
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Last edited by One Six Right; Nov 28, 2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
I would say the Littlebirdz Stealth-E or Bullet if you can find one is the best park jet out there.

There was one for sale in the for sale section recently.

Scott
speleopower is offline Find More Posts by speleopower
Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:29 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Yeah, but I'm talking about covering X number of fuselage lengths in Y number of seconds, regardless of the outside world. As I've said before, like a redneck wedding, "it's all relative"

Actually, our planes aren't really scale anything - They are small airplanes in their own right, which may happen to look like a full-scale airplane.

Therefore, it's all good. That's why I have fun with vertical climb outs and pulling 6 negative Gs with my Tiger Moth --- LOL!

Right]Yeah, I think the Phase3, hobby People F-16 is still the popular, bang for the buck, EDF. And you can modify the heck out of 'em as your skills and your desire for grows. You can get some nice aftermarket fiberglass parts from "Air Sally" (like Nose Cones, and inlet rings)

There are "Scale like" maneuvers, with "scale like" speeds used for entering and executing aerobatics used by the AMA for contests.
But for all out straight line speed there is no such thing a "scale Speed". Because you are not flying a scaled down course.
If you put a mouse in your 1/16:1 F-16, going 150 mph, the mouse is going 150 mph.
If you put a man in 1/2:1 scale DC-10, going 150 mph, the man is going 150 mph.[/QUOTE]
Last edited by kelberts; Nov 28, 2008 at 08:48 PM.