HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:17 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Denis,

Quote:
I don't have a laptop, is it possible to use the antenna alone?
Yes, the tracking antenna is a stand-alone solution, it will also be sold seperately. It however does require the EzOSD to be installed in the plane as that provides the data for the plane's position and hence where the antenna needs to be pointed at.

Quote:
does it have a video output so we will see directly the analogue video, or the video must pass first in the computer and we plug the goggle in the video card of the computer?
Yes, the EzOSD doesn't need a PC for decoding the video or anything. The EzTelemetry feature should work with the majority or video Rx/Tx (2.4GHz/900MHz/etc.) on the market today. Of course teaming it up with an ImmersionRC 500mW 2.4GHz Tx and Duo 2400 diversity receiver yield best results, but it not a requirement. If a PC is used at the field, the EzTelemetry data from the audio/video receiver can be decoded by the application and a variety of input options on the PC (USB, Line-In, etc.) can be used to interface the two.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:21 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Denis,

Quote:
Would I need to buy a recent laptop if I want to use one?

If not, what would be the minimum requirement in the laptop would I need to buy?
I use a Samsung NC10, a small and compact little netbook with excellent battery life.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...NP-NC10-KA02US

It is priced around $400 USD, hence quite affordable. I use it with a Plextor PX-AV200U USB audio/video grabber and that allows me to record video and display the position of the plane using Google Earth in real time. The 160GB harddisk has ample room for storing hours and hours of video.

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:27 PM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
does EzOSD have Return to home features?
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:45 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Igorp,

Quote:
does EzOSD have Return to home features?
I guess you mean a rudder home? That's not a feature, but more of a handicap. As it requires a multitude of things, let me explain the basics:

1. Unconditionally stable airframe
2. A minimum of throttle, elevator and rudder control
3. A means to detect and compensate for wind gusts etc.

1. If your airframe is not unconditionally stable, i.e. it will return to level and straight flight after any stick input then a rudder home feature will not work. A rudder home has no reference of what position the airframe is in, as it has no gyros, accelerometers or other means to detect what the current position of the plane is.

In essence it s is just a programming loop that steers the plane towards the home location by comparing the home location's coordinates to its current position and making corrections with the rudder whilst using the elevator to keep at a set altitude in an attempt to steer towards home.

2. Without throttle control this is doomed to fail in many situations, as when you encounter a head wind and the throttle is set at a fixed value it might not be able to make any progress into the wind, stall, or simply be blown backwards.

3. But there's more, the majority of airplanes tends to roll when rudder is applied, a movement of the airframe which is not corrected for by the rudder home feature, as it has no means of detecting it (remember, no gyros, no accelerometers etc.) So when enough rudder is applied to roll the plane, it will enter a spiral dive the rudder home feature cannot save it from. Obviously the same happens when a gust of wind hits the plane and rolls it slightly, or fully.

So in summary, the EzOSD does not have a return to home feature, simply because we felt we couldn't justify not going the extra mile and do a proper auto pilot that can really save your plane, that would however drive the price up considerably, as gyros and accelerometers don't come cheap. So we don't have that feature, as we don't believe half-baked features is what anybody wants.

However if you record your flight you always have the telemetry data stored, which means that you can *always* use that to locate a lost plane with Google Earth, which is more useful than a return to home feature that can't bring the plane home and causes it to get lost somewhere halfway. In the former case you'll quickly retrieve the plane, in the latter you might never be able to find it again.

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:55 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,961 Posts
$400 is not expensive . I tough it would be more expensive.
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Nov 27, 2008, 01:44 PM
Dizi
Canada, QC, Trois-Rivières
Joined Jun 2008
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funjet2008
I want one now...
NOW NOW NOW
Funjet2008 is offline Find More Posts by Funjet2008
Old Nov 27, 2008, 02:01 PM
Cameras are EVERYWHERE...
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
Oh, this is a thing of beauty!

I can't wait to hear about the beta testing...
tvdude310 is offline Find More Posts by tvdude310
Old Nov 27, 2008, 02:25 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,046 Posts
Do you need wifi at the field? Do you download a portion of google maps prior to flying?

-Ken
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Nov 27, 2008, 02:29 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Ken,

Quote:
Do you need wifi at the field? Do you download a portion of google maps prior to flying?
WiFi at the field isn't needed, you just load the parts you want to fly over at home into Google Earth, the map is then cached. At the field you'll then be able to fly over the cached maps. Or, alternatively, you can simply record the flight, go home, connect to the PC and play back the recorded video and then you can replay the flight in Google Earth.

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
708 Posts
Poor Sander... Now that the cat is out of the bag I see he will be spending most of his time answering the questions, not finalizing the designs...

How could you not put a password on that video?
oxxyfx is offline Find More Posts by oxxyfx
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:29 PM
europe
Joined May 2008
34 Posts
super beautiful work the friends, am in a hurry to test , one not very same to fix antenna 8DB video 2,4ghz on the alignment antenna, perfect, a coming out date?
delta27 is offline Find More Posts by delta27
Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:13 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer
$400 is not expensive . I tough it would be more expensive.

Acer netbook:AOA150-BW
LG x110:
http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/x110.jhtml

Toshiba NB100 serie

regards
massimo is offline Find More Posts by massimo
Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:03 AM
UNREGISTERED USER :)
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
this is cool. Wonder how much it will be..
damian123 is offline Find More Posts by damian123
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:40 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,117 Posts
can we make OSD show Gps coordinates or switch OSD off thru RC transmitter?

wich will be the price of the OSD?

what CUA means?

can we personalize OSD in some way ?

when time appears is done randomly by OSD or done by you using a switch?

how much it weight?

thnks, i like your OSD, (not the best in resolution but i like it )
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Last edited by wallaguest1; Nov 28, 2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:52 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Aww man, this is exactly what I've been dreaming about!

I do have wifi at my field (my back yard), though I've always had to turn the adapter off in my notebook due to interference with my video receiver. (I use 2.4GHz video)

It's not a big deal to cache the area then fly though. It's pretty much always cached anyway...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau