HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:35 PM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
Discussion
OH NO!! Here I go on another wacko winch project.

The 18 HP Briggs winch works so well that I bought myself a nice little 5.5 HP Honda engine to play with. It'll be a lot easier to carry around, and it won't be as noisy. I think it'll work as well, since we were never putting much of a load on the Briggs engine. Hopefully, I'll have all the benefits without all the bother.

I've got some of the parts done and assembled, so I thought I'd post some pictures of the work in progress.

Roger
rogerflies is offline Find More Posts by rogerflies
Last edited by rogerflies; Nov 26, 2008 at 07:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:55 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,079 Posts
Go Roger.....Go Roger.......You tha Man.......Go Roger!
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 26, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,780 Posts
Roger, repeat after me..... I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid..... Go Roger... GO!!!
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:09 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,012 Posts
Not crazy enough. You need to hook this thing up with variable gears to an enormous flywheel with a clutch to the drum. Even the wing rod will blow off. Slip the clutch, toss the glider, and let it rip.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2008, 05:35 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
How much is that thing going to weigh?

Is this just a fun project or do you dislike electric winches?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:46 AM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
It's probably going to weigh around 50 pounds. The typical size 27 battery weighs about 70 pounds. A Winch 2048 probably weighs about 40 pounds without the battery.

However, weight isn't the issue. The gas engine can be set to run at a constant speed, so you don't need to pulse the pedal during the launch. That makes launching a lot easier.

The other issue is cost. I can get a good engine for less than the cost of a good winch motor, and it'll outlast several batteries. I'll also save money by not having to buy solenoids, heavy wiring, connectors, etc.

I end up with a one-piece winch that's about half (or less) the weight of a complete electric winch outfit. It'll be easier to use. The initial cost will be less, and the cost over time will be less.

The only downside is the noise, which isn't an issue where I fly. Of course, I have to start the engine before a launch and shut it off after the launch, but the little Honda is so quiet, I may just leave it running between launches.

Roger
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:14 AM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
I just weighed the parts I've got done. The engine (with oil and about half a tank of gas), the clutch assembly, and the mounting base weigh 40.5 pounds. So, it'll probably end up a little under 50 pounds.

Roger
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:23 AM
Fly Smooooooooth
Mountains of Utah
Joined Mar 2004
772 Posts
Oh to have a machine shop in your own garage!!!

Can't wait to see how this turns out.
seerspaz is offline Find More Posts by seerspaz
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:09 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
lemme see it Roger..

I'm all eyes!!! Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:35 PM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
Yeah, it's nice to have some tools in my garage.

What's even nicer is that for $80 a quarter, I've got access to all the welding, machining, and fabricating equipment at the local technical college, including consumables, a wide range of material, and excellent instruction. That's got to be the bargain of a lifetime.

They do ask me to work on some things for the school and for some of the local government and youth groups, but those are usually pretty interesting projects that I can hone my skills on.

Roger
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:12 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Agreed! I so wish i had access to a proper workshop. Those little honda 4-strokes are pretty quiet, I use an older one occasionally for power and its fairly efficient.
I'm cooking some popcorn, getting a comfy seat and enjoying an innovative engineering thread. Roll on..
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:28 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,012 Posts
I'll bet if you added another 10 lbs for a large muffler and a sound deadening enclosure, it would become almost silent. You could make those parts detachable or something.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2008, 02:04 AM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
On Saturday, I made the drum end plate that fits on the hub I made Friday. It's flat on the side toward the engine, and tapered on the line side. The ID is a tight slip fit on the hub, and there's a recess for the hub tube to fit into. The six small holes are match-drilled to the holes on the flange of the hub, and then tapped. It takes a bit of setup time since all the surfaces have to be highly concentric.

I also tapped the four blind holes on the end of the hub for the rods that hold the drum together. That's the operation that's most likely to end in disaster, since a broken tap in a blind hole is really tough to deal with.

Roger
Old Nov 30, 2008, 07:09 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Do you tap them by hand like I would have to do?? Just wondering. Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerflies
On Saturday, I made the drum end plate that fits on the hub I made Friday. It's flat on the side toward the engine, and tapered on the line side. The ID is a tight slip fit on the hub, and there's a recess for the hub tube to fit into. The six small holes are match-drilled to the holes on the flange of the hub, and then tapped. It takes a bit of setup time since all the surfaces have to be highly concentric.

I also tapped the four blind holes on the end of the hub for the rods that hold the drum together. That's the operation that's most likely to end in disaster, since a broken tap in a blind hole is really tough to deal with.

Roger
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith