HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mikegbogh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:38 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
Careful!
Eagle attacks

A series of photo's of probably a young eagle trying to make a statement about his territory. This bird flew amongst a group of gliders , but one fast glass ship just seemed to bother it.
Even with the pilot taking evasive action the birds talons left their mark.
The eagle then flew off apparently not too sure of his intended prey.
This was on the slope at Volksrust.
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:06 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,287 Posts
That eagle, (in dive mode) is a great shot ! I had the same thing happen once w/ a falcon.But at the last second he changed his mind...RTR
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:10 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
HA I had something similar, I was chasing a flock of blackbirds, and then they started chasing me! That was just last night too!
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:13 PM
Private Pilot, S.E.L.S.
A remote mountain-top sanctuary, somewhere in the NW US
Joined Oct 2007
92 Posts
Just wondering... What sort of "evasive action" by a "fast glass ship" leaves talon holes in the leading edge of the wing?
DonQ is offline Find More Posts by DonQ
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:20 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
a pissed off mother bird tryin' to protect her chicks
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Dec 01, 2008, 01:27 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
Hi DonQ,
There was a series of some 15 odd photo's , the eagle managed to intercept the model a while later not on that particular dive. The Youngster
who was flying the glider thought the bird was "mock" attacking and would tire of this game , but as he pulled up and turned the eagle managed to grab his glider. Fortuntely he was flying slower at the time , there was a sound as they met and the bird then flew off and appeared unhurt.
We have had many eagles, hawks and even storks format with our gliders but none as aggressive as this bird, which we have not seen there before, there are a pair of residant black eagles in the vicinity who we see regularly.
Hi F86 (nice answer) one of the pilots is a real bird expert and has even written articles in a local bird book, he claimed its colouration was of a juvinile eagle, there are no nesting eagles on this mountain , but in the cliffs about 10 miles away.I think it was hungry. and looking for a high fibre diet.
Regards
Mike
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh
Last edited by mikegbogh; Dec 01, 2008 at 07:34 AM.