Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:16 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
Discussion
RC rocket X-15

Here's a profile depron X-15 I've been flying for a year, after seeing someone else do an air drop version using rocket power, I modified the plans to take a 24mm mount, and developed a quick electric pusher pod mounted to an old D motor casing, so you can pop in the electric pusher, or put in a rocket motor and launch vertically. It's very simple construction, just two body pieces in an x-form, and the two full flying tails that give roll or pitch, uses just two hs-55 size servos, and is ~10 oz rtf with electric or rocket motor. The CG on the plans is with the rocket installed, electric or glide CG should be about where the wing/body joint is. I used a simple 7 amp dc speed control with bec connected to the gear switch for ignition. I'll put in a couple of pictures of the electric version and with the motor pod. If any of you try this, let me know how it worked for you. I've flown it on D-12's which are fun and less expensive, but the flights are short, the Aerotech E-6 RC reload is much better giving a bit slower boost but an 8 second burn and you can do some aerobatics while under rocket power.

I've also flown it with ailerons and elevator, but the tailerons are simpler and work just as well, and are lighter, also I've flown it with the full ventral lower tail and with the shorter tail which were both used on real flights, and they both flew about the same, the shorter tail I prefer just for belly landings. It doesn't need any carbon in the build except for the elevon pivot, and just a bit for reinforcing the bottom ventral for landing protection.

Here's a short youtube video, there is a build thread on the pusher parkjets section of rcgroups if interested.

X-15 RC with electric pusher or D-12 rocket motor (3 min 49 sec)

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Nov 25, 2008 at 12:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts