HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:20 PM
Joined Jul 2002
546 Posts
Well, I assumed PVA was bad considering the amount of warning at the bottle compared to the "new" one.

Have attached the pictures. By the way didn't know my Linux computer would be able to handle the picture upload. Nice, have no more excuses for posting pictures during the weekend.
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:38 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glauco
Well, I assumed PVA was bad considering the amount of warning at the bottle compared to the "new" one.

Have attached the pictures. By the way didn't know my Linux computer would be able to handle the picture upload. Nice, have no more excuses for posting pictures during the weekend.

Glauco,
The main difference is that the new (French label) formulation doesn't have the alchohols (VOC) that the US formulation does. The volatiles are the primary reason for the longer warning, not the PVA component. The presence of these (even though they are swimming in water) are why this formulation is considered hazardous, flammable, etc. The alcohols also reduce the water content and speed drying. Have you noticed that the new, improved formula takes longer after application before you can handle and use the mold? I would bet you do.

You can thank the US EPA for the wealth of useful "information" that is on the US formulation. I guess they think this level of disclosure will make you feel safer when using the product. At least it absolves the manufacturer if someone knowingly or unknowingly hurts themselves misusing the product.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:18 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Hey Glauco, How long until you start taking orders

Steve
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:57 PM
Joined Jul 2002
546 Posts
Thanks for the info JT, glad to see you not yelling at me at least once

Steve, I heard you have your own Supra now, no need for another one. Also point me a SOAR South sider without one.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:50 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Shhhhh my wife might read the groups.... she doesn't know what that blue and yellow crate is yet LOL
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:37 PM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glauco
Steve, I heard you have your own Supra now, no need for another one. Also point me a SOAR South sider without one.
Jeffrey and I don't have one. We have four!

That was the upside of Jeffrey flying F3J in Turkey. The downside was paying for all of them.

Now if only I could build as well as you, I'd have a bagged one instead.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Last edited by jawalter; Dec 23, 2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:14 PM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
I just caught up with the build thread , and same here quite inspiring , waiting for further progress .
Charged is offline Find More Posts by Charged
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:09 PM
Joined Jul 2002
546 Posts
More pictures.

Built these Supras by finishing the center panel first and then working at the tips. I believe a better way would be building the whole spar first since it would be easier to align all. Will do that at the new planes.

The bond of the joiner box to the spar caps is very important but I had to align it first. So with a little CA I glued the joiner to the top cap. Then I could use MGS epoxy to glue the joiner to the bottom cap. After it was set I could brake the top cap free and then glue the top with epoxy too. Time consuming but it worked. Will see if I can skip this by building the whole spar at once.
Last edited by Glauco; Dec 23, 2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:57 AM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
St. Louis
Joined Apr 2002
1,454 Posts
"...I used a laser level to shoot a straight line from one tip to another. .."
============
Whereas if you built the whole spar before making the center panel, you could lay the thing out flat on its side (i.e. leading edge down) on a flat surface, line up everything as you wanted it, and then block it in place. That would have to be easier I'd think.
tonyestep is offline Find More Posts by tonyestep
Old Dec 24, 2008, 09:21 AM
Joined Jul 2002
546 Posts
I agree with you Tony. Main reason for building the whole center panel first was just to see it done.

The center spar has to be build at the jig because of the dihedral but joining it to the tips should be much easier at a flat surface like you said.

By the way I hope to start you super Supra stab "soon"
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:12 AM
Sean Worthington
Campbell, CA
Joined Sep 2004
251 Posts
spar alignment

I had approached the problem in a different way.

I noticed on the plans that the trailing edge of the spar was straight. On my angled building board I put extruded aluminum angles (from the local hardware store) using a straight edge when the angle was set to flat. I then placed the spar TEs with the joiner blockes against this straight edge for alignment and the board jacked up to the proper angle. At this point I could confirm the proper angle for the joiners and that the TE of the spar (with joiners in place) was straight. I then glued the leading and trailing portions of the cores back onto the spars. It worked very well and was pretty easy.

Just my .02,

Sean
S-1-11B is offline Find More Posts by S-1-11B
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:30 AM
Joined Jul 2002
546 Posts
Do you have a building board for the whole wing or just for the center panel?

I like your method but I don't really understand how it would work for the tip spar unless you have an angled building board for the tips. Or maybe you used the center panel board as a jig for the tip since they have the same angle.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 05:05 PM
Sean Worthington
Campbell, CA
Joined Sep 2004
251 Posts
building board

Yes, I used it for CS and the CS->tips angles as well.

My building board for the Supra is a hinged board that is long enough for each panel (side of the CS or tip) on each side with three hinges in the center. I chock it up on either side to get the angle I want. I used it to laminate the doublers on the center panel spar caps prior to building the center section. I also used in like I described in the last post.

It is bascially heavy particle board that is braced by the extruded aluminum angle that I mentioned. Aside from the benefit of the aluminum angle I mention for the spar alignment, it helps each side of the board resist bending. 3 hinges at the center hinge line keeps the angles true and I check all the angles (plus any twist along the span) with a digital level prior to using it.

I would take a picture of it but I packed it away while I finish up an EZBD.

Does that help?,

Sean
S-1-11B is offline Find More Posts by S-1-11B
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:25 AM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Interesting tidbit for perfectionists. Mark specified various angles to cut the hinge lines at. Note the angles are not the same if cut from the top vs. the bottom side of the core.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo