HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2008, 08:55 AM
Joined Jul 2002
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty

I can't see the section for the top of the fin on the plans (the .pdfs from CRRC site).

Lower section is drawn but the top?

Chris.
Chris,

There are two pages on the supra_fin.pdf file. The bottom of the second page shows the top section of the fin.
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2008, 09:05 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,350 Posts
How do you keep your camera clean with all those pictures?
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Dec 04, 2008, 04:30 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,146 Posts
fin top profile

Hi Glauco,

I still can't see it; HT12 @ 5% 3.5" chord is all I see.

Thought it might be the .pdf so downloaded it again but that's
not it.

Are we expected to plot it (eg. tracfoil)?

Chris.
DrFragnasty is offline Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old Dec 04, 2008, 04:51 PM
Joined Jul 2002
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty

I still can't see it; HT12 @ 5% 3.5" chord is all I see.

Chris.
I think I understand your question now. You can't see the airfoil section for the HT12 at the top of the fin.
As far as I know there is no drawing made, you will have to plot it.
Old Dec 04, 2008, 04:55 PM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling
If you are really trying to build the lightest model possible you will probably have to shop around for the lightest batch of foam you can find. Kind of like looking for contest grade balsa . . .

OK, now I understand. I think because down here we get Dow styrofoam through one supplier, and I do all my work with them over the phone (600km away) all they have is a spec to go by.. so caveat emptor.

Chris
Tip airfoil is as below from http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/supra/supra.htm

HT12 88.9 mm

so you dail the HT12.dat file into profili and plot to those dimensions. This file is at http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...t-airfoils.htm

It is not shown on the VT plan.. enjoy the build.
VHO is offline Find More Posts by VHO
Old Dec 05, 2008, 10:20 AM
Joined Jul 2002
546 Posts
Some time ago I heard that trimming the leading edge of the Mylars would help bending it at the leading edge of the wing. There are some ways of doing it and I've seen some pictures of tools put together for this purpose.

The one I used does work but the trimming has to be done in one single pass. If it gets stuck in one specific Mylar part it will melt the Mylar and create a nice hole.

I used this carbide cutter from Dremel.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 10:28 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,373 Posts
Glauco, you are quite the craftsman!!! Thanks for doing this.

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Dec 05, 2008, 02:47 PM
Joined Jul 2002
546 Posts
Hi D, good to hear from you too and thanks for the comments, appreciate that.

I know what is in your mind .

I'll let you try them next time we meet, maybe at the Nats or J team selects.

If there is any interest maybe I can build a plane (for a small fee ) for the members of our next F3J team going to France in 2010.
Old Dec 06, 2008, 10:05 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,373 Posts
Hey Glauco,

If I'm lucky enough to make the team, you can build my models anytime (for a very small fee... ;-) ) .... very impressive work.

Watchin and learnin

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Dec 07, 2008, 12:03 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
St. Louis
Joined Apr 2002
1,454 Posts
As you all can see by now, Glauco has been up the learning curve! The gadget he built to taper the edge of the mylars is the perfect illustration of his craftsmanship. He spent a whole day making that thing, plus many other days fiddling with templates, jigs, systems for mixing and spreading the epoxy, and so on. His workshop has zero space for extraneous stuff -- everything has to be organized perfectly so that there's no glitch once the goo is mixed. He worked so hard teaching himself the exactly right way to do all this stuff, that's why he has to keep building them.
tonyestep is offline Find More Posts by tonyestep
Old Dec 08, 2008, 04:04 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glauco
If there is any interest maybe I can build a plane (for a small fee ) for the members of our next F3J team going to France in 2010.
Would you be willing to build one for those of us who don't have the skill, equipment nor time and probably won't ever make any F3J team BUT would be willing to pay a larger than "small fee" for a Glauco built Supra?

I am willing to bet there would be interests, maybe too much interests .
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Dec 08, 2008, 01:15 PM
Joined Jul 2002
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard
I am willing to bet there would be interests, maybe too much interests .
Now you said that made me wonder about the new "friends" I got latelly

Wish I could build a plane to everyone but I don't have the time to do it. Anyway, these two I'll be building now are more like a production line and I'll see how many months will take me to finish them. After that I'll know if I can build more.
Old Dec 08, 2008, 01:31 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glauco
Now you said that made me wonder about the new "friends" I got latelly
I feel your pain. Any good, skillful build breeds many new best friends. I'm enjoying the leisurely pace you work at. I can never take that much time, I just see what needs to be done and do it.
JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Dec 08, 2008, 02:27 PM
Joined Jul 2002
546 Posts
Hi JT, I kind of noticed at many Nats now that patience is not something usually associated to your name

By the way I must remind this is not a live build right now. I have build this stab and fin about an year ago and the wing 6 months ago.

As it is I'm waiting pieces and parts for the two new planes I'm going to build and then this thread will turn be a live one. Also the way I am I couldn't post pictures and tell things I'm doing without been sure all would work. After many months now flying "51" I can say they do

Many here may remember a Superior I flew for two years. I was able to choose any color scheme I wanted and picked a yellow and medium blue, mainly because they looked good at the Renault F1 team for that year. So when it was time to build this plane I went to the Klasskote catalog and picked the blue you can see at the fin.

It looked darker at the website and not that bad at the Mylars but ready to go it turned into a sky blue color. Probably the worst color to see at any distance so if you are paying close attention to this thread you will see at the first page that the plane has actually a dark blue fin.

Yes, I did build a new fin just because of the color. Since the stab is a little more complicated I just airbrushed dark blue over the light one. Added about 0.5 grams to it but since the new dark blue fin was a bit lighter than target, the weight overall was fine.