HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:38 PM
Chris Lee
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Oct 2005
324 Posts
The model and its maker, Glauco Lago.

Flew Supra 48 for the fourth time today, and Glauco was able to join me to see his creation in the air and get a little stick time. Just launching off a bungee, but it behaved as expected: it went up in lift.

Still haven't had an ideal opportunity to fly this plane and get it trimmed for the contest conditions I will likely fly it; winds were forecast around 12mph today, on the ground it felt like a steady 6-7.

Flew last Saturday, New Year's Eve, in moderate winds around 12-14 (windmeters on the ground reading 9mph) off an F3B winch (150m mono J-configuration). Even without launch mode optimized it rotated very fast and locked in, with the wing developing the "bends" going through the wind gradient. It was relatively easy making time sloping an adjacent tree line, but without that ground feature I likely would have been flying a different plane.

Look forward to learning this plane, I can definitely get used to the "hover" landings.

Chris
lineofsight is offline Find More Posts by lineofsight
Last edited by lineofsight; Jan 05, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Jul 2002
541 Posts
Man, what a gorgeous and light plane, where do I buy one?
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:07 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
I'm going to bump this thread a bit.
I'm contemplating the construction of my own Supra, and have a couple of questions.

1. Has anyone made the wing joiner boxes to use the stock molded Supra joiners?

If so, what was the technique used? Was it the cured composite box sides glued together then wrapped in kevlar thread or composite sleeve?

2. Is the Supra boom available "stretched" a couple of inches?

I'm strongly thinking of making my wings a little longer span then stock, especially in the center section for the purpose of having more flaps on landing.
Arbitrarily, I'm guessing that I would like to end up with a 6" longer center panel and maybe 1.5" longer tip panels. That will make the span about 143"
A longer tail moment and possibly slightly larger stab should keep the tail volumes "in the ballpark" of the original design.

Thanks,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Jul 2002
541 Posts
You should not only bump the thread but read it too

See post 126 in regards of the joiners

G
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:16 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
Will do, thank you, G!

R,
Target
Sending PM to Glauco
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:32 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Target,

You might consider widening the spar, which I think Glauco did. I've gone to a 1" wide spar made from 9oz uni. Each spar has seven layers in the center tapered to 3 at the endcaps. My center panel is 66"

It's was a big improvement from a 3/4" spar.

I'm on the other side of the fence with a longer boom. I've had no luck going longer without running into other problems. The main being twisting in the tailfeathers. (old mantis looking) If you get a boom from good winds or mtn. models, expect it...

Since those troubles I've been building my own fuse (which is 3" longer, but way overbuilt) and just sizeing the stab accordingly.

Curtis has a good calculator on his website to get you the right size. You can input the original supra data, then keep the same numbers as you chance things around.

http://www.tailwindgliders.com/Files.html

I used it to build my elevator for my 4m wing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...errerid=195739

Will
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Last edited by heliwill10; Nov 20, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:08 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,060 Posts
I keep thinking I should build a Supra. I won't, but I keep thinking about it. I have built every Drela design now except the Supra.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke