HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2009, 05:32 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,178 Posts
Thanks KP, James, Darryl,

I will indeed continue, as that will keep me busy and not worrying much.

Here are a few photos of the motor mount/thrust plate fixed on the front bulkhead. Although not very clear, the two photos show the difference in thickness of the thrust plate - that gives 2 degrees down and 1.5 degrees right thrust. I hope I can glue the bulkhead correctly. Laser projector references should help.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Last edited by bmutlugil; Jan 27, 2009 at 05:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:46 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,243 Posts
Very good, Bulent! It's good to see you doing so well.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Jan 27, 2009, 02:34 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,795 Posts
The loss of one's mother is very painful - think of all the good times while building and the model will be all the more meaningful. My condolences.

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:20 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Lookin' good, Bulent. It's good to see more work as always.

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:15 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,178 Posts
Thanks, Pat

I replaced the shaft of the second motor. One ball race of the original motor was damaged. I had a replacement, but putting it on was difficult - it was a tight fit on the shaft. Now that bearing is not running very well also, it had to force it on and probably damaged it slightly in the process Let's see how it goes for some time, maybe I will replace it again later. The lower stack motor seems better in this respect.

I also noticed that overtightening the setscrews on the motor mount affects the rear bearing, and the shaft gets tight on corresponding positions.

Bulent
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:00 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,929 Posts
Hi Bulent,

I was going through some pictures from my vacation last August and found I had a couple of pictures of a Fairchild 24 in one of the museum buildings at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in New York.

Richard
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Feb 02, 2009, 03:46 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,178 Posts
Thanks Richard,

I had two photos of that; it is an F24H variant, if I know it right. Mine must be a 24R, I guess.

I glued the motor bulkhead on, started building the vertical tail. I thought of a way of getting the bulkhead perpendicular in both planes using the laser crosshair projector. I mounted the fuselage on a turntable (Sony), leveled the motor bulkhead and made sure the fuselage was vertical using the laser line - see photos. I did not have to move the laser to check the two axes in this way. I used rubber bands to pull the fuselage sides as needed to adjust the angle, and used a weight as well. It worked well, but the epoxy had trouble curing so it might not be perfect in the end. I removed the rubber bands and heated the nose, which might have moved it a bit. I wish I had used cyano.. Dark areas on the bulkhead are the nuts for fixing the motor unit.

The vertical tail was a bit difficult to set up, because of the streamlined ribs. I packed the strips up as needed.. There is some diagonal bracing to do, and the area between the first two ribs will be planked with 1 mm balsa.

Bulent
Last edited by bmutlugil; Feb 02, 2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 04:42 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,178 Posts
I had a go at producing my own wheels, found suitable parts from a digital computer tape. The diameters are suitable for a 60-62 mm wheel, which I need. The flange diameter is 46.1 mm, tire seat section is 39.7 mm, and the center hole is 2.3 mm. I turned two of these down to 5.5mm thickness, gluing them together will make the hub ready - except for a metal tube at the center. My wire is 2mm, so I will need a thin wall brass tube. With 10 mm sponge cord the outside diameter becomes 58 mm, so with 12mm cord it should be fine. Plastic parts for one hub weigh 5.3 grams; some weight can be removed from the projections on the spokes, but maybe it is not worth the effort. I can also make the hub narrower to gain a few hundred miligrams.

I need to order 12 mm sponge cord. I also ordered 10 mm wide wheels, but 12 mm ones will look better, because the scale wheel is 18 mm thick. Even if only the bottom will be seen inside the wheel spats, from a head-on attitude it looks strange..

Bulent"

Bulent
Last edited by bmutlugil; Feb 02, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 08:24 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,243 Posts
Very clever techniques, Bulent! This is turning out to be a superb build.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Feb 02, 2009, 09:02 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,178 Posts
Thanks Geoff,

I wish I could proceed faster. I seem to have some trouble with my health, which makes me spend some time resting instead of building. I hope it is due to stress and will go away soon. I will go on a vacation to releive the stress.

Bulent
Old Feb 02, 2009, 09:16 AM
Joined Sep 2004
61 Posts
Mr. Bulent,

I am almost proud to see you enter the contest and do such a nice job. I am following your thread with excitement.

Basınız sagolsun, ve gecmıs olsun.

Engin.
encan is offline Find More Posts by encan
Old Feb 02, 2009, 10:06 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,178 Posts
Tesekkurler Engin Bey..

I probably can not finish the model in time, I hope I could.

Bulent
Old Feb 04, 2009, 09:21 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,178 Posts
I am working on the rudder and also the cross members for the fuselage, probably will get the fuselage tail end done in a few days - maybe the vertical tail will go in later, though.. I am getting the nose ready for planking, also. No photos yet.

I guess I may have found a way to fix different batteries in different positions, using a hook and loop covered area on the fuselage - outside the region where the battery is a tight fit - and a movable flap on the battery that is covered with the other type of fastener (hook or loop, depending on what is put on the fuse). Moving the flap up will set the battery free ( in theory yet).

I ordered 1/2" sponge cord from Charlie (Manzano), so the wheels could be finished easily when that comes.

Bulent
Old Feb 06, 2009, 03:20 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,178 Posts
Here are the rudder and fin, but there are some reinforcements to be added on the rudder, and the balsa planking on the fin to be done yet. It is easier to do these when the parts are off the board.

I beleive these parts are the most beautiful section of the airplane - I allways fall for good looking tails - flying model or live photo model

I may go on a vacation next week, so work may get further delayed. It seems like I have stress related health problems..

Bulent
Old Feb 06, 2009, 09:00 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,506 Posts
Really nice looking work on the vertical fin and rudder. And please take care of yourself. If you need a vacation, take it. And have a great time.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971