Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:37 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Hi Robert,

It is good to hear from you, as well. Are you planning another visit to the Black Sea coast soon?

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:57 AM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,461 Posts
Hi Bulent,
I hope to be back in Turkey sometime in 2013, but I am not sure of the date.
Last time I stayed at my friend's house in Kapadokia. What an amazing place, and not too far from you. I really enjoyed the bus trip from Trabzon to Kapadokia. In the bus station at Trabzon I felt like I was an extra in a Bourne movie.
You have a beautiful country.
Best,
Robert
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:15 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Thanks Robert,

Yes, Kapadokya (or Cappadocia) is very special. I wonder if you had seen Pamukkale, near Denizli, that place is very unique as well. The name means something like 'the cotton fortress', everywhere is wet and white with calcium depoists from an underwater stream discharging there, of course there is no fortress as such..

It is funny that I did not see most of the Black Sea coast. I hope we can meet, or at least talk again, when you are here.

Bulent
Old Jun 11, 2013, 04:54 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Well,

I have been away from this project for months, but hoping to resume soon. I am not in a hurry, because there is no proper airfield or runway suitable for this model; and the earliest I can have access to such a place is September or October - or I have to drive 400 km. to Istanbul The canopy/window jobs started seeming difficult to me, but this is a stumbling block that can be removed. The weather is better, so painting may resume.

I have been busy with electronics repair jobs, household chores, etc.; and I do not have much free time and energy due to an overload at work - new research department, but interesting projects like handheld computers.

I have been busy tracing a 3 view for a Zlin Z-50, and started drawing a plan - that may be my next project. I sort of got bored flying mostly straight and level with the Tritle Stinson. I must say it is a wonderful model, almost a powered glider; but it does not have ailerons. I have been flying it on some weekends, on a roadside dirt flat that is the best we have for a runway. It is narrow and there is always the possibility of demolishing the model by crashing on to cars traveling on the road, when the wind drifts and the model accompanies it.

Preliminary plan for the Z-50 and the starting 3-views are attached. The construction layer should not be taken seriously, it will change; but the tracing can be used by others interested in the type. I will plank the fuselage with balsa, so it will have a solid surface - I had enough with fabric covering and flexible paint. The wing may have film covering. The wingspan is around 50". I am not sure if it will be electric powered - most probably it will.

I found some interesting e-books, AirArchive Book issues; they seem to have good detail. They are on a Russian site from which I am downloading regularly, so they should be safe to download for others as well:

http://mirageswar.com/aircrafts/5834...wi-german.html
http://mirageswar.com/aircrafts/5835...olden-age.html
http://mirageswar.com/aircrafts/5834...wii-part1.html

I hope I can send updates on the Fairchild soon.

Bulent
Last edited by bmutlugil; Jun 11, 2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: misprint
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:10 AM
Joined May 2009
1,461 Posts
Bulent,
It is very good to hear from you. The Zlin sounds like a great project.
Robert
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:25 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Hi Robert,

Thanks, it is good to hear from you as well. Are you coming to Karadeniz this year; you had such plans?

Bulent
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:48 AM
Joined May 2009
1,461 Posts
Ekim de, Karadeniz a gitmek umutederim.

I hope to go to visit my Black Sea friends this November. We will see. I will phone you for sure when/if I arrive.

Robert
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:15 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Well, hello again guys,

I am back and building.. After a three day holiday and a one week vacation which I spent at home, just to get this model advanced, I have some progress to report. Some electronic repairs and house chores delayed my restart, but now I should be working continuously. I do not wish to spend another winter with this model unfinished; it keeps me mentally occupied and I feel guilty while working on other projects.

I cut two external frames for the rear windows from 1.5 mm FR4 PCB blanks, without copper. They are 3 mm wide and have a half round cross section, all cut and filed by hand on the home made contraption seen in one of the photos. The second photo shows the frames after one layer of dope/talcum - sanded down - and one layer of whitish paint. They will be sanded again, and painted with the acrylic white used on the fuselage. These should really save the day while gluing the windows flush with the fuselage. I prepared them after drawing patterns from the windows, scanning them into Autocad and giving 1.5 mm offset on each side, so they should fit well.

I also prepared the front windshield plastic (0.2 mm acetate) and painted the cabin section behind it using water based matte black paint from a spray can. It is not perfect, but I don't care any more. I polished the acetate sheet a bit, to reduce scratches; but some are still visible.

After the windshield is glued down, there is some fairing job on the bottom edge, and than some intricate masking for painting the windshield frame.

Bulent
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Mar 2010
51 Posts
Welcome back: Good progress there: Mine is on hold as I need to take it outside to do some major sanding on the fairings for the stab/Fin. Its 110 deg toady, so I'm doing some inside projects until Late Sept.

Denis
knucklebutt is offline Find More Posts by knucklebutt
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:38 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Hi Denis,

Thanks, I hope your project moves along fine as well.

It is quite hot here, too.. I delayed my summer vacation to September or October partly due to that. It is hard to endure the heat on our Southern coast, where my sister lives.

Bulent
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:48 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,227 Posts
I'm going to beat you, finishing my often-delayed 30+ year J-3 Cub project in the next few weeks. You obviously enjoy the journey more than getting to the destination.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Aug 17, 2013, 04:12 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Hi E-challenged,

My Fairchild may have started life earlier than yours. I guess it was in 1973 or so - but no part or plan from then was used; this time it is a completely new design. I just did not know how to design a scale model then - or design any model, for that matter.

As you said, I like the building more than flying; and having no proper airfield to fly such a model is another issue. The full scale airfield we used before is off limits.

This model had a catastrophic covering and painting episode(s), as you may have watched - that is one reason for the delay - and partial loss of interest. I got bored of sanding and painting - now some parts have the paint cracking

Lately I heard there is a new runway in town that was prepared for models; but friends who visited there say it is always windy. Not very good for our light models - still I will go and check that.

Bulent
Old Aug 17, 2013, 04:29 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Nice to see you back to work, Bulent. Although you've had your issues in these last stages, the skeleton is still one of the neatest and most entertaining to watch come together. As long as you plan on finishing it, there's no need to rush...

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Aug 17, 2013, 04:42 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Thanks KP,

I plan on finishing, that is for sure. Looking to simpler projects in the future, though. At this rate I can not build many models in whatever life I have left

Bulent