SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2008, 05:41 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Richard,

Thanks for the photos, I guess that is an F24K - judging from the motor cowling. The 24K has a narrower nose, the cowling is curved more at top and there is a clearance between the rear end of the cowling and the fuselage - probably for cooling air to exit. I wish I had started with an F24K 3-view, the cowling seems more beautiful - but it may be harder to build unless composite.

I guess wheel pants look very beautiful on this airplane, so I should not omit them.

I have cut bass stringers for a few hours, but there is more to it.. I have never seen so many stringers and balsa strips in one place, let alone cut them one by one.. This must be the scratchiest way of building.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Last edited by bmutlugil; Dec 15, 2008 at 12:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2008, 01:03 PM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
699 Posts
The FAA website shows this airplane as a F24-R40, manufactured in 1940.

F24 = model
R = Ranger engine model 6-410-B3 of 165 hp. (410 cu. ins.)
40 = Year of manufacture

Contrary to popular belief, the F24 has no official factory name, the plane being known simply as a Fairchild 24.

The F24W40 is a 145 hp Warner powered model manufactured in the same year.

Today, Fairchild 24's flying with a Ranger engine use the 6-440 (440 cu. ins.) series engine of 175 or 200 hp.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Last edited by Mike Denest; Dec 04, 2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2008, 06:53 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Thanks Mike,

I did not know the second number in the type name showed year of manufacture.

So, I was wrong in thinking that the cowling could be used to differentiate between an F24R and an F24K. Of course the motor cowling could be a modification item by an owner.

I wonder if the K stands for another engine..

Stringer cutting continues, I am getting close to finishing it. I am trying to get the plan sheets printed now, so I can start building the fuselage next week.

My mother is back into intensive care, so I am not feeling well and productive.

Bulent
Last edited by bmutlugil; Dec 04, 2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2008, 12:22 PM
Brighto?
Joined Dec 2003
699 Posts
The K and associated J models were produced up to 1943, some going to the USAAF. The K model also used the 6-410 engine of 165hp. You can read the type certificates of all variants of the F24 here:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...e?OpenFrameSet

Select the Fairchild stuff which describes the airplanes and engines Fairchild built.
Old Dec 04, 2008, 01:07 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
That is a good source of data, thanks - I wish they had photos as well..

Bulent
Old Dec 05, 2008, 07:07 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Well,

The strip cutting session seems over, lots of strips stand ready to be cut to length - I guess a few more needed for the tails will be cut along the way.

The photos show the strips and the homemade saw attachment on the Unimat. It proved very useful, but it can not make ripping cuts on wide stock because the milling cutter has no teeth set (or offset?). It binds up very fast under those conditions; so I start with material that is close in thickness to the final value. I take a number of small cuts from the outside, alternating the cut side. In this way the result is straighter, and the undulations on the rough cut stock are mostly gone.

Bulent
Old Dec 05, 2008, 08:36 AM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
681 Posts
I don't know if you're aware of this website, but it is a wonderful reference source for obtaining photos of classic civilian aircraft including the Fairchild 24:
http://www.russellw.com/
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Dec 05, 2008, 09:29 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,248 Posts
Thanks for including a photo of your Unimat. That looks like a really a fine tool for doing the strips.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Dec 05, 2008, 11:04 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Thanks, I knew russelw.com as Vintage Aircraft Photo Album. I had checked the photos there.

I will not have access to the internet until Dec. 15, so I will post any developments after that. I guess I will start working on the fuselage.

I decided to start building using a tiled plan printed on A3 (B) sheets, rather than getting the two sheet 900x1400 mm. plan plotted commercially. I am sure the plan will change considerably during construction.

I use the Unimat for all machining jobs, it is truly versatile with its attachments.

Bulent
Last edited by bmutlugil; Dec 05, 2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 12:40 PM
Brighto?
Joined Dec 2003
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmutlugil
That is a good source of data, thanks - I wish they had photos as well..

Bulent

there's a lot of good stuff on the F24 available on the internet. Use "Fairchild 24" in your search.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 05:27 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Thanks everyone for the pictures so far. I am getting different ideas abut my Fairchild scheme, but unfortuanely I may not need to be thinking so much as working. I am still only on the second side of my wing. I have been in this spot since last weekend! Oh, well...
I will continue to work more this weekend and hope to finish at least one side of the fuselage...I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:18 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
I am working on the fuselage, being on a vacation week, but I do not have photos with me now, I am not at home. Fuselage sides have been built, and nose section bulkheads are ready - no CNC, hand cut on a Dremel. The nose construction is a bit tricky, I hope I can get it right. What is on the rear of the wing is very easy, compared with the nose.

I guess the model will not be as light as I want, let's see. I was aiming for 600 grams flying weight, but that does not seem very likely.

KP, I have a nice finishing scheme for you, but I can send that next week - it is at work. That one I liked very much, but it does not fit the variation I am building - maybe I could finish it like that and let go of scale fidelity.

Bulent
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:33 AM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Bmutlugil,
You could leave it like that, but the ultimate decision is up to you. I will probably change my mind many times later on on the decision for my scheme. Whatever looks the best and is the easiest will be the one that I will probably go with. Does covering small models take a bit of experience or is it somewhat simple? The answer to this question will most likely dictate my ultimate decision.

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Dec 15, 2008, 06:09 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Here are a few schemes I like. The turquoise/white one (the leftmost two) was the one that I mentioned. I looks good and will be easy to mask.

Bulent
Last edited by bmutlugil; Dec 15, 2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 06:16 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Here are the results of one week's work. I was at home due to a holiday. I finished the fuselage sides and cut most of the bulkheads. No work on the wings yet, except for spar and LE strips cutting.

I cut the bulkheads using a Dremel saw and prepared the lightening holes mostly using a Dremel hand tool, using grinding stones or sanding drum. Lightening holes take more time than cutting the part itself.

The darker colored bulkheads were cut from plywood that was removed from the inside furnishing of a real DC-3 that was scrapped, so they have hundreds of flight hours and would be happy to go up again

I have some dry assembly shots which come next.
Last edited by bmutlugil; Dec 15, 2008 at 06:30 AM.