HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2008, 06:16 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Build Log
Scratch Build : Fairchild 24 Ranger - Re-Covering

I decided to enter the contest, hoping I can make the deadline, but I doubt it because the construction is a bit complicated for the model size.

The model is a Fairchild 24 Ranger, developed from Bjorn Karlstrom 3-views published in the August 1970 AAM magazine. Wingspan is 53.8". It is around 1/7.71 or 1/8.1 scale, former from the 3-view scale, latter from full scale wingspan data; so probably it may be loosely accepted as 1/8 scale. I had started a drawing at that size years ago, and I did not want to change it; I don't actually remember how I fixed the plan size.

I will use a FC 28-22 1200 Kv BLDC and 18A ESC, and probably a three cell 2250 mAh LiPo battery.

Plans are ready to be printed, but no parts have been cut yet.. I will try to cut some parts on a Sherline CNC. If CNC does not work I may go to DHC (Dremel Hand Cut)

I have enclosed a screenshot from the design program, and the reduced form of the Karlstrom 3-view..

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Last edited by bmutlugil; Jan 31, 2011 at 05:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2008, 07:38 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Hi Bulent

Thatīs an elegant looking airplane you have chosen for your entry in the SBO 3. The CAD plans looks very detailled - must have taken quite a lot of time to do. I look forward to when you start putting things together.

Best of luck with the build

- Michael Hammer
michaelghammer is offline Find More Posts by michaelghammer
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:16 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Thanks Michael,

Yes, the plans have taken lots of my spare time to develop - I don't regret it, because I like drafting. I hope parts fit together, the nose construction was a bit difficult to draw in two dimensions.

The following is a finishing scheme I like, probably it will not be so difficult to duplicate - if the paint colors can be matched.

Bulent
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:58 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,248 Posts
I very much like the appearance of the Ranger engined Fairchild 24. Great looking plans too!

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:09 AM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffinpdx
I very much like the appearance of the Ranger engined Fairchild 24. Great looking plans too!

Geoff
Me too, It's a very attractive aircraft. And I like it more with the inline engine than with the radial.
I look forward seeing this one comming together.

Succes Bulent!

Tom
W@CC0 is offline Find More Posts by W@CC0
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:01 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Thanks,

I am also looking forward to the construction.. This was a long lasting dream for me..

Bulent
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:25 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
Should be a graceful flyer , good luck .
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:55 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
I forgot to write about the servos I intend to use. I have Futaba S3114 servos for this model, they are very strong for their size - 7.8 grams and 20.8 oz-in torque at 4.8V. If the model turns up light, I may use my Futaba PCM receiver (30 grams) to feel safe, but otherwise and most probably I guess I will use the Berg 4L.

The LG and wing strut structure on this airplane is a bit complex; it will take a good deal of construction time. I have designed the main LG legs and the overlying wing strut holders as removable units, they are plugged into the fuselage and fastened using screws. That is mainly for repairs, not intended for transportation. I have 60 mm. light weight wheels, but they are narrow. That will not look very scale, even if they are inside wheel pants. Maybe I will try to use wider wheels that are also 'wider' in weight .

The last model I built was a Pat Tritle design, so I am more conscious than ever about weight - Pat also helped me define the thrust and wing angles on the Fairchild - thanks Pat.

Wing panels are plug-in type, wing struts will hold them in place. The doors will be functional, that is necessary for any work inside this fuselage that is full of stringers.

Bulent
Last edited by bmutlugil; Nov 25, 2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 08:22 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,536 Posts
Bulent, The Fairchild 24 drawings look terrific. Will definitely be watching your progress.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Nov 26, 2008, 08:29 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Thanks, master

Bulent
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:12 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
I'm currently in the middle of a Guillows Fairchild 24 build (my first conversion)! I have a lot of respect for people like you who really put their skills to the test. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm followin' this one!
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Nov 28, 2008, 04:17 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Thanks,

I hope the model gets finished in a reasonable time, before everybody gets bored

I am cutting spars and longerons at the moment. Found some good hard balsa, so I guess I will use balsa spars. Saves lots of weight, wing spars alone are around 35 grams lighter using hard balsa instead of bass.

Bulent
Last edited by bmutlugil; Nov 28, 2008 at 04:26 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:59 AM
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Wow that is a weight saver! I am building with balsa right now, too. I hope that is holds up against bad crashes(not that I hope to have any). The balsa that I'm using is not as hard as your's I'm sure.

And about the getting bored part, I feel the same way. I don't get as much building time as others do, either. We just aren't as fortunate.

KP
Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:05 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
KP,

That weight gain is a calculated one, based on the weight of one spar I had cut - I can give densities and real gain later on. The balsa I use takes some force to cut with a balsa stripper, and using a razor planer on it is equally difficult. It also has a number of small worm holes; must have been cut by an X-Acto certified worm

If I had a Proxxon thickness planer, strip cutting would be much easier; but that is quite expensive.

The last model I built lasted 8-9 months, it was a scratch built Tritle Stinson. Of course it may have lasted so long beacause it was a complete build, including home machined and wound BLDC motor and molded composite motor cowling. The Fairchild is more complex structurally, and it has scale like Friese ailerons - the Stinson had none. I have the motor ready this time, no building there, and the cowling will be a built-up one.

One of the replies in the Stinson build thread was: "Hasn't the Stinson flown yet, we have waited long enough!" That was an wonderful and inspiring reaction; that is the kind of boredom we slow builders impose on fellow modellers.. I also wish I had more free time, so many models I wished to build..

Bulent
Last edited by bmutlugil; Nov 28, 2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:34 PM
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Bmutlugil,

I am always quite interested in the math of building and aviation in general, but unfortunatley, I know little of it. I understand what your saying, though. I can't wait to not only to see what the end result is, but to see how you like it. Have you made any more progress?

On my threads I always make sure people know how fast the build will be...SLOW

KP