HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:31 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Ahhhhh bummer Sully!

Another Habu down. Yes you have a ways to go to master my level of mishap experience with her but no matter how many times they bite the dirt, it always stings.

I still have all my Don's components ready to go into another airframe. I'm still holding to my thought that I'm done with the 64MM Habu. I'll always have my memories, photos and video.

Sorry about #3!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:38 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
I would have to call that last one a success. I think you walk away a winner. I'm impressed with your tenacity, that's for sure. I can totally respect, my brother.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:04 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
I know this is a dead thread but for any of you zombies still paying attention, here ya go...

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/med...20Cockpit.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:46 AM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I know this is a dead thread but for any of you zombies still paying attention, here ya go...

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/med...20Cockpit.html
Aros,

Awesome link! Looks like you've just de-classified the top speed of the HABU! If you look just to the left of the control stick, you can see two dials for the inlet spikes... Max Mach value only goes up to 3.2 (ONLY )

BTW, I'll be moving up to WA in the near future... just bought a house in Ravensdale... looks like we'll be neighbors soon! We'll have to get together and go flying some time this summer... where do you typically fly?

-Sully
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:29 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,403 Posts
That is the coolest link. Thanks!
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:07 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Wow, Ravensdale! You really will be my neighbor! I'm only a few miles from Ravensdale. A new flying buddy! Cool!

I usually fly at Lake Sawyer Hawks which is just 4 miles from me, off of Issaquah/Hobart RD. Or the Junior High by me. We'll definitely have to go fly. Hit me up when you're settled in.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2013, 07:29 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Just got back from our beautiful Museum of Flight in Seattle, WA today. Always good to see the girls. Here's a couple shots. Couldn't pass up getting a photo of me in a real SR-71 cockpit.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2013, 11:24 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
Cool Pics Aros!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2013, 11:52 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Thanks, it is always a treat!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2013, 08:29 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,403 Posts
It finally happened, after over 100 flights my pusher bit the dust. I was having a perfect flight all of a sudden had no control. It was at the worst moment, a maximum speed dive just as pulling up.....There was such little time for anything to recover if a signal loss. It managed to fly straight though the middle of a cluster of pine trees, shearing off most of the wings and verticals in the process, the forward fuse continued like a laser guided missile and imbedded itself in a chain link fence.

There were no survivors.

On a positive note, I have plenty of foam packing material for when I have to ship something. I am also continually amazed how loud a sound that foam can make when impacting other objects. I have a couple airframes left. I think one will be built as a hanger queen, fully detailed out and setup for display. The other will be done up as an EDF with the afterburners and flown. I have some tricks up my sleeve for that one. I also have a hobbylabs SR-71 that will get the pusher treatment, the nacelles are actually way more scale and for really fast speeds, that will help. 1000 watts in that airframe will be brutal.

Great pics of the SR-71! I can only dream of sitting in one like that.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old May 16, 2013, 10:28 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss Joe. Worst moment indeed!

I too lost one of my Habu's smack dab into a chain link fence and jumped from how loud the impact was! I couldn't believe foam could make that kind of noise on impact. I had stalled her (imagine that) and tried pulling out. I had just got the nose level at full speed and was pulling up again but I was too low at that point and she met up with the fence in a very violent manner. I think that was #2 or #3, I can't remember.

I still miss mine with your sweet afterburnerz setup. That was quite the eye-catcher and conversation starter. I guess one should never say never so maybe MAYBE someday I will find the nerve and bullheadedness to pickup #11.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2013, 03:48 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
I guess one should never say never so maybe MAYBE someday I will find the nerve and bullheadedness to pickup #11.
I've still got a brand-new one in a box in my garage... I just might have to put her together once I get settled in up in Washington in a couple weeks...
Old May 16, 2013, 05:41 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
What city again? It would be fun to fly together!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2013, 06:27 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
What city again? It would be fun to fly together!
Ravensdale... We should get into town on June 2nd, but it might be a couple weeks before I can get out and fly...
Old May 16, 2013, 06:49 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Well shoot, hit me up when you're settled. You're just down the street!
RCG Plus Member