HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:44 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Well that didn't last long, LOL. Didn't even make a second sortie. Crashed on hand toss. Just felt like it weighed a thousand pounds. It was a good ride. Moving on to less frustrating EDFs. Selling my Don's Wicked setup plus Afterburnerz.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799723
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:03 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,290 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Why not slap one of those power plants into a Stinger or HP F16?
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:06 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
I would normally but I am saving up for the Freewing F/A-18 or BH A-10.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:28 PM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Sorry to hear that. Why not slap one of those power plants into a Stinger or HP F16?
AROS,

I've got to agree with Don on this one... take that Wicked 4000+ motor and throw it into a Hobby People F-16. When they go on sale, they're $30-35 for the kit... add your fan/motor/ESC and 2x servos, and you've got yourself a 100+ mph jet! (I've got two of them in my "hangar" right now... one 3S, one 4S). Absolutely EASY hand launch... I put some Popsicle sticks on the bottom of mine to act as skids (I land on a paved road), but where you're flying, you won't need them.

Trust me... it's a great setup! I showed up at my field one day with mine, and within a few weeks, two of my flying buddies had them (both with Don's setups in them)... plus, there's not the emotional/financial attachment if you happen to stuff a $30 kit that was filled with "lightly used" parts...

I really need to get my Habu up again... it's been on the sideline with a "sketchy" retract for months... and I've had the replacement part for quite a while... just haven't taken the time to swap it out. I think I'd gotten up to 7 successful sorties so far... maybe I need to get off my can and swap it out!

P.S. I've still got a new kit sitting in my garage if you're in the mood for #11...

-Sully
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:23 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra68 View Post
AROS,

I've got to agree with Don on this one... take that Wicked 4000+ motor and throw it into a Hobby People F-16. When they go on sale, they're $30-35 for the kit... add your fan/motor/ESC and 2x servos, and you've got yourself a 100+ mph jet! (I've got two of them in my "hangar" right now... one 3S, one 4S). Absolutely EASY hand launch... I put some Popsicle sticks on the bottom of mine to act as skids (I land on a paved road), but where you're flying, you won't need them.

Trust me... it's a great setup! I showed up at my field one day with mine, and within a few weeks, two of my flying buddies had them (both with Don's setups in them)... plus, there's not the emotional/financial attachment if you happen to stuff a $30 kit that was filled with "lightly used" parts...

I really need to get my Habu up again... it's been on the sideline with a "sketchy" retract for months... and I've had the replacement part for quite a while... just haven't taken the time to swap it out. I think I'd gotten up to 7 successful sorties so far... maybe I need to get off my can and swap it out!

P.S. I've still got a new kit sitting in my garage if you're in the mood for #11...

-Sully
Maybe you guys are right...I've had a few F-16s and they've always been a blast to fly and very very easy/low stressers as well. Unlike the SR-71.

Sigh. Okay, how much for the kit?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:31 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
I just realized the HP F-16 is the Phase 3...I've had two of them and loved them even bone stock. Don's setup would definitely supercharge it up for sure. Here's two of mine from a couple years back.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:33 AM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Maybe you guys are right...I've had a few F-16s and they've always been a blast to fly and very very easy/low stressers as well. Unlike the SR-71.

Sigh. Okay, how much for the kit?
Just wait for them to go on sale again... right now, they're $60... but I recently saw them on sale for $30 over the holidays. I'd guess that over MLK weekend or President's weekend, you might find a sale again...

Cheers!
-Sully
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:48 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,290 Posts
Those setups you have in the F16 will be 120mph easy, probably closer to 130.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:08 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,495 Posts
Another vote for the HP F-16. Easy launch, no bad habits. Just reinforce the tail mountings and linkages.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:58 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Mar 2005
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Well that didn't last long, LOL. Didn't even make a second sortie. Crashed on hand toss. Just felt like it weighed a thousand pounds. It was a good ride. Moving on to less frustrating EDFs. Selling my Don's Wicked setup plus Afterburnerz.
Damn that suxs! I won't try hand-launches anymore just because they're too dicey with most model's... I tried a few times with a Skyray EDF minus landing gear, was successful a time or two but broke the plane in half 3 times and put the blasted landing gear back in finally! LOL!

I have an unmaidened mint SR-71 here, how much you wanting for your parts? PM me if you like... I may be interested!

- Michael
Michael211_2000 is offline Find More Posts by Michael211_2000
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:25 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
I have an unmaidened mint SR-71 here, how much you wanting for your parts? PM me if you like... I may be interested!
Here's the link... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799723
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:20 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Hey Don,
Maybe we can use my Xmas present to get a do over on the hand launch..

Happy New Year from Evl-1.....
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:43 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,290 Posts
Nice! But do you have a RC talking Dalek!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:22 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Nice! But do you have a RC talking Dalek!
No I don't, because I am a DALEK!!!!!!

I put the 64mm units in my Dtnam Turbo Twin -- very enjoyable.....

One 70 mm unit is in my HK Vampire..great verticle on 4S

Two 70mm units in my Fanstar --twnstar to EDF conversion - wicked bad...

70mm is going into the Sea Vixen next....

OBEY...OBEY....
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:23 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Habu #3 -- r.i.p.

Well, Fellas --

Sorry to say that HABU #3 suffered a failure of a hinge on the left elevon during her last takeoff after setting her up on my new radio (I hate "re-maidens" just as much as "maidens"). Shortly after takeoff, as she turned from downwind to base, she entered the all-to-common flat spin, and plummeted to her death!

I am happy to report that the power system (Don's Wicked 4000-plus motors!) and the balanced fans, survived the crash without a scratch! That combo WILL fly again -- just not sure if it will be in a SR-71 (although I do have one more kit in my garage)...

Honestly, when the aircraft departed... I had all kinds of time to try different things... but without airspeed -- the rudders, whaletale, and all of the (symmetrical) thrust in the world wasn't going to get her out of the spin.

So... I'm not quite keeping pace with AROS, but I am starting to catch up!

May she rest in piece(s)...

-Sully