HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2009, 10:53 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,961 Posts
Here is something wierd. I was recharging my lipo from todays flight and one lipo took 1800 mah back and the second took 1400 mah? That is very wierd. One pack must be going bad on me

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:18 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
6,885 Posts
Thanks a bunch for shooting and putting up the video, it's a nice flyer. The pitch up is nice to know about as is the inlet cone and hinge issues, all noted for my build.

That's also interesting about the packs being off like that, even when parallelled, hmmm.
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:20 PM
Faster!
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Oct 2004
1,139 Posts
So, would that indicate the one that only took 1400 is bad?
Joshua Wesley is offline Find More Posts by Joshua Wesley
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:31 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,961 Posts
The last flights were not that way with the same set of packs. I am thinking the lower mah pack was not putting out the power. That does explain why the one pack was a lot warmer than the other after I landed. I am going to double check my connectors on my harness as well.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2009, 06:49 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
The guy who owns Easytiger is named Curtis Mattikow. He wrote an article in the AMA magazine called "Instant Jetification" not too long ago and mentioned how he loved my Wicked motors and he used them as upgrades for the models he reviewed.

I have new video for you guys my buddy Bill just filmed for me today I am downloading it now it is a whole flight from launch to land. I wanted to show you how slow it would and well I got too slow at the end and stalled it so don't laugh when you see then end of the video

Don
Ya , weird.. he did say that he had used your motor.. but for some reason he is not so hep on them now...Maybe since he sells the sr-71 complete he is more sensitive..I probably should not have mentioned it. Maybe he just had a bad day..Maybe I was emailing one of his helpers? I did not mistake his point.. anyway........NEVERMIND... its a new year
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Last edited by sanman55; Jan 04, 2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 07:09 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
deleted
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Last edited by Joe 1320; Aug 06, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 07:16 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,969 Posts
Just watched the vido.........GREAT... Its so fast it would not even stay in frame........
Good job Don.. thanks for the build and all the info.
On your batteries, just a thought.. ck. the impellars and be sure one is not binding or rubbing.. I remember that when I put the impellar on your motor in my Gripen , when I pushed it in it was binding on something. I had to pull the impellar back a little.. and it was free wheeling.....just a thought..
later, sanford
Old Jan 04, 2009, 07:21 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
That all depends on whether you take his word as god's law. The instant you call him into question, it turns into a bad day. That, and you cannot accept his word as fact. He loves to write about himself and his products, there is some kind of passion there..... even if self serving and obnoxious.
I did feel the pasion, his manual on the s-71 is really funny in a strange way..Follow this manual or you will fail........I have done all the research you ever need to know about and thats that...I have worked with the manfacutre and this is the best it can ever be........
I was just trying to be somewhat kind to someone I don't know and give some lee way.. maybe none is needed?
Last edited by sanman55; Jan 04, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 07:28 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,969 Posts
Wow... I take it you have had some bad with him..
Old Jan 04, 2009, 07:30 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,961 Posts
I emailed Curtis and he says he did not say anything bad so I am going to just let it drop.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
deleted
Last edited by Joe 1320; Aug 06, 2011 at 10:01 AM.
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55
Wow... I take it you have had some bad with him..
Yeah Joe tell us how you really feel

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2009, 07:35 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
Quote:
Yeah Joe tell us how you really feel

Don
Don, I've gone head to head with him on several occations and I have purposely left out any form of opinion and stated the glaring issues. I've refrained from personal attack and just stated the facts.

There are quite a few members that have done the same thing, from what I've seen quite a few members are on to his tricks. I just avoid him like the plague and there is substantially less drama that way.

Sorry Don.

Now back to the SR-71 topic..........

Don, any hint of adverse yaw during control inputs when slowing down?
Old Jan 04, 2009, 07:37 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,969 Posts
Quote:
I emailed Curtis and he says he did not say anything bad so I am going to just let it drop.

Don
Sorry about that but that is the overall message I got.. here is the quote from him
What is the total amp draw.
Dons rc makes motors that would give this bird a one to one thrust.

Yes...for how long? A minute? I like don's motors...these are comparable, but wound less hot, because the plane cannot carry the additional battery weight needed for even more power, without suffering consequences. Those consequences will be a very deadly stall, and broken retracts. It was NOT meant to carry around the weight of a 1000 watt setup, period. It will become a dart, a brick, and beleive me, it can bite you.
Look...you can do what you want with modifications, but this was not just some random cheap components thrown in the plane....we are not freakin' Banana Hobbies, who will sell you any junk they can.(that thing is a park flyer at best, people are going to freak when they actually get them, but BH does not have any anyway), but the most effective system for this plane, will still keeping within design parameters. The retracts work great, the handling is great, the structrual strenght is great...add another battery, add more weight, and everything changes. A second battery, for example, is over 25% gross overweight for this airplane.. With foamie EDF models, light weight is the key.

Maybe I overstated.. he does like your motors but maybe not in this bird.
Forgive me ,I did not mean to start anything.......sorry
Old Jan 04, 2009, 07:39 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
Don, any hint of adverse yaw during control inputs when slowing down?
Good question actually! No adverse yaw issues at all. I was thinking the long nose would cause troubles or the distance of the nacelles, but I was never hitting rudder on the stick when flying nor thought it needed one.

Don
RCG Plus Member