HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:13 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Hey Joe, do you have any inside knowledge about a potential 70MM or even 90MM Habu in the works or are you just speculating/hoping based on what you might think the industry would progress towards?

No doubt, this 64MM is a spectacular trainer for anything that the industry ever decides to produce in a larger frame. Do you think BH Hobbies will get more LX kits or do you think the inventory is all but extinguished?
Just guessing and since sales were weak after the initial offering and had to be dumped for cheap, they probably won't make any more...again just speculation.
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:06 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
Thanks guys...Sully, she looks great to me! Thanks Joe...Was just curious. Hopefully #9 lasts much longer than all her predecessors so I can really learn how to fly her in the event someone manufactures a larger SR-71 someday...

...Perhaps by then...Just perhaps...I'll be ready, and worthy of the new challenge.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:54 AM
USA, MO, Salem
Joined Jan 2005
79 Posts
Third Flight

Name: thirdlfight.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 318.2 KB
Description: Cleaned up pic, enjoy

Success
max-nix is offline Find More Posts by max-nix
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:29 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
I found a spare PNP with feet for $150 locally...I'm going to probably grab her up. Power system is stock so it will be a shocking difference performance-wise between that one and mine that has Don's top setup.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:35 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
$200 for both my MJ airframes, one boxed and one bagged, both complete...you'll have to figure in some shipping...
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,430 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but every time I fly mine it reminds me of a flying guitar.

SR-71 pusher prop (0 min 51 sec)
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:19 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
Pusher prop, eh? Does that tame her down or make her even more susceptible to the tortures of this bird? And yes, I definitely see the flying guitar, lol...

Just got back from Mission #4. Another excellent flight. There were some kids going ape-crap over it and pounding me with questions as I'm trying to fly her. Of course this made me even more nervous as I need all the focus I have to keep her in one piece.

There were kids strewn all over the "runway" at the soccer field so I opted to dead stick her in. I knew as long as I kept some down stick all the way to the ground she would be okay, and she was! I actually prefer that method to keeping some throttle. Less of a walk and really no issue as long as I don't treat her like my warbirds and flare her at the last moment.

Redlite, I think I'm going to spring for that local Habu...If it falls through I may take you up on your MX kits...Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
Oh, and btw, Don, that SkyLipo 4000 40C battery you recommended is MONEY!

Every flight, just under 4 minutes with WOT at least 80% of the time, the battery is barely warm and when I recharge, it still has on average a good 1000 mAh or more left on the pack. VERY impressed, and now that I appear to have gotten past the "Seven Year Learning Curve", I'm going to buy a few more packs. Thanks again for the recommendation. It's perfect for your 6404 fans and 4000 Plus motors combo.

And it weighs much less than the bricks I was using!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,083 Posts
I am very please with Skylipos, they are basically all I buy anymore.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,430 Posts
Quote:
Pusher prop, eh? Does that tame her down or make her even more susceptible to the tortures of this bird? And yes, I definitely see the flying guitar, lol...
Less weight in the tail, smaller lipo so less weight in the nose as well. Still can fly fast but with less weight, it can fly much slower and still hold altitude. Over 50 flights with no major mishaps. A few minor ones though, she's starting to get a little ragged around the edges..... It's getting time for a refresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I am very please with Skylipos, they are basically all I buy anymore.

Don
+1 They have been a great value. It's Rare when I use anything else, usually only when they don't have the appropriate size for an odd project.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:52 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
That settles it. I'm going to stock up on the Skylipos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:42 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,083 Posts
Best thing it to buy them whenever they are in stock as they can be sold out fairly often. .
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:23 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
I grabbed two more...

Mission #5 was another complete success! Hand toss was perfection. Grabbed the bowling ball holes, chucked her with good force and she didn't even wobble out of my hands...Just straight into the skies. Landed with a bit of power...

I can't remember the last time I had 5 flights with one air frame...LOL...

Here's to another 100!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:57 PM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
I'm 2 for 2...

Quote:
I grabbed two more...

Mission #5 was another complete success! Hand toss was perfection. Grabbed the bowling ball holes, chucked her with good force and she didn't even wobble out of my hands...Just straight into the skies. Landed with a bit of power...

I can't remember the last time I had 5 flights with one air frame...LOL...

Here's to another 100!
Aros, congrats on flights #4 and #5! Awesome -- Keep it up!

Well, I'm 2 for 2... my nosegear strut popped out of the retract again, so I got a few more scuff marks in the foam... but nothing that can't be touched up with a little paint. I think I'm going to have to find a way to extend the strut a little more so that it fits a little deeper into the retract... I think the set-screws just aren't grabbing it very tightly.

My takeoff was a bit more eventful than the last flight though! Some jerk dumped an old couch out in the desert where we fly -- I went over and pushed it a little further off of the road... but on takeoff roll, my plane was being pulled towards the couch like it was the Death Star -- I was trying to steer away but just seemed to be pulled towards it. As I started getting closer, I apparently started getting a bit more anxious, and when it got too close for comfort, I decided that it was time to start flying, so I fed in a bit of up elevator. That was when I got surprised... it was a takeoff that was very similar to an F-16 doing a max-rate vertical climb... except that they accelerate just above the runway until they reach the end, then pull up. My acceleration was all on the ground, and then rotated straight to the vertical.

She had enough oomph to go up 30-50 feet, then I was able to roll her 90 degrees and pull the nose back to level (although inverted). Trying to remain calm, I rolled her back upright and continued the flight. She scooted around like she was on rails! Dropped the gear for the landing and brought her in with a bit of power for a beautiful touchdown... then a slight bounce, and another touchdown, followed by another bounce and another touchdown... you get the idea. I was fearful of getting too slow and having the nose pitch up... but there's a line where too much speed in the landing can be a bad thing too... I don't think I crossed the line, but was probably very close to it. For flight #3, I think I'll spend a little more time in the pattern trying to "feel her out" to find a more appropriate approach speed.

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy, overall. This was the first time I had flown the Habu with an audience... and I didn't totally embarrass myself or stuff the plane, so I'll chalk it up as a win!

-Sully
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:15 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
Great job Sully! I can honestly say I would have probably dumb-thumbed it after that vertical climb! Nice job keeping your composure and doing the right thing to keep her moving and flying. Every single time one of my Habu's went nose high it ended in either damage or disaster.

I wish you had video of that!

I'm charging my "Skypo" as I type...I'm getting greedy...I want more than one flight a day.
RCG Plus Member