SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:20 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Thanks guys for the reminder...I definitely need to add a separate BEC!!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:25 PM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Thanks guys for the reminder...I definitely need to add a separate BEC!!
I put one of the Castle Creations CC-BEC Pro's in one of my 3DHS birds so that I could use a different ESC that didn't have a BEC... and so far, I've been very happy with it!

Joe... have you tried one of these Castle BEC's? Got any other recommendations?
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:29 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Sweet! I just ordered #9 today. Don fixed my power system (a spare housing, one motor was fried, ESCs were okay and both the motors and ESCs were direct soldered) so it will be ready to go in #9.

I'm getting a 4S 4000 40C SkyLipo (unless I hear otherwise from the Habu Jury) and as cool as it is, the afterburnerz kit is going to go in some other - less testy - EDF.
I had another thought about the single battery... and I'm definitely going to get a couple of those 4S 4000 40C packs... and I'm going to cut out the same channel that I did for my 2x 4S 2200 packs so that I can slide it forward/aft to get the CG where I want it without having to add any ballast weight. I don't want to use the term "Killing two birds with one stone" because I've already killed two birds... but I think this may solve two problems with a single solution... if that makes any sense.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:38 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra68 View Post
Joe... have you tried one of these Castle BEC's? Got any other recommendations?
I've had zero problems with Castle BECs. I've had zero problems with the BECs that Don sells too.

I can't say that about some of the cheaper ones from HK.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:08 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra68 View Post
i don't want to use the term "killing two birds with one stone" because i've already killed two birds...
lol!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
I also use UBEC on any twin or plane with retracts.

--stacker
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:49 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
I don't think that's been a factor in my crashes (I could be wrong) but it is most definitely a good idea as an added measure of protection.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:18 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
EDF Question

I was planning on putting the 6-bladed fans from my old MaxJet version into my new bird... then noticed that the LX version shipped with the 5-bladed fans. Now I'm wondering what's a better application for this jet??? FYI, I'll be running the DonsRC 4000kV Wicked Plus motors...

Anybody got an opinion that they'd care to share?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
The ones in my Max jet version seemed to work pretty good to me. I did ballance them though. I thought the rotors were pretty stiff, esp. compared to the old GWS stuff. Don prob. knows better which works the best with the motors that you have chosen.

Cheers--Stacker
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Forgot to mention early on what I used for thrust tubes. I like to use large plastic drink cups like Starbucks uses becase they have a step at the top that when cut right will slide over the fan housing leaving a flush inside transition. On my SR71 I had to use two cups per side as I was unable to find a cup long enough. Prob. needed to order the SuperVente 6 shot iced moca for ten bucks each ;-) Using two worked well, kinda like a telescoping antenna. Just need to have the rear section slide over the front section so there is a smooth airflow. Still kinda a pain on this jet.

--Stacker
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:26 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra68 View Post
I was planning on putting the 6-bladed fans from my old MaxJet version into my new bird... then noticed that the LX version shipped with the 5-bladed fans. Now I'm wondering what's a better application for this jet??? FYI, I'll be running the DonsRC 4000kV Wicked Plus motors...

Anybody got an opinion that they'd care to share?
Either will work fine. They pull about the same total watts just be sure to balance them on those motors.
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:37 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Either will work fine. They pull about the same total watts just be sure to balance them on those motors.
Thanks Don... I've got them balanced using the same dynamic balancer that you have.

I almost got them put in tonight but opted to do the whaletail and rudder mods first, but should have them in by tomorrow.

-Sully
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:49 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
#9 should be arriving any day. Thanks Don for fixing what ailed my power setup, I got the SkyLipo ready to go! BP Hobbies overstock is now out of stock so I'm crossing my finger that #9 has 9 lives!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
#9 should be arriving any day. Thanks Don for fixing what ailed my power setup, I got the SkyLipo ready to go! BP Hobbies overstock is now out of stock so I'm crossing my finger that #9 has 9 lives!
I'm about 70% done with build #3... should be ready to fly soon, but I'm scheduled to bring a plane up to the airshow at McChord this weekend, so the maiden might have to wait another week...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:13 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Hey Sully don't forget to pick me up first!
RCG Plus Member