HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:52 PM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Aros,

Where did you pick up #8? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on buying #3, and wanted to make sure that I'm getting the best deal... the link that Don posted to BPHobbies seems to be the lowest price that I can find... were you able to find a kit anywhere else at a lower price?

-Sully
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:46 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
This is the golden deal my friend...

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...8&pid=D0626114
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:31 AM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
This is the golden deal my friend...

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...8&pid=D0626114
I emailed the guys at NP to see if they were ever going to get the Habu back in stock... they told me "Probably not... they were never really good sellers..."

So... I've got #3 on its way from the link that you (and Don) provided...

-Sully
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:48 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Nice. Keep 'em flyin'!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:07 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,569 Posts
Going out this weekend early to see if I can get up to flight #60! I am determined to get this airframe up and beyond 100!! And again this is on a light 3S set-up using Thunder Power 3S 2100 20C packs! 91 mph remains the limit of this set-up.
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:45 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
2100 packs? What are your flight times like?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,364 Posts
I was able to get out in the heat and make another flight and had a friend film it. Pretty windy and about 100 deg. My take off was dicey as I did a bit of a cross wind take off ;-O Plane flew well and I throttled back and did my best to keep it in closer with tighter turns. Plane handles pretty nice, just really different, which is good. Real hard one to see for older eyes though. I chopped the throttle on landing approach to test sink rate which was space shuttle steep but not bad. I added some throttle right before flare. No stall with wing droop mod. and CG moved further back. I have to agree with bighead93 that the plane should be kept light. Not sure what kind of power bighead is getting but I'm at around 750-800 watts and fly at 4000ft. elevation. I think at sea level you would prob. be fine with 600 watts power, but some it hot. I'll try to remember to weigh mine as the electric retract conversion added several more ounces, also scratch built nose prob. hurt with extra weight. I'm using a Sky 4s 3300 30c with 3500kv motors pulling a bit over 50 amps right off the charger. I painted the underside wing outer panels and nose white which does help. My throws are the same as what Don posted. Right now I have little to none of up trim set on the elevators because of the cg being set much further back.

bighead,
Great job getting 60 flights on yours and good luck making it to 100.

Take care -- Stacker

Stacker SR71 Blackbird (2 min 29 sec)
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:50 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Nice job stacker! Looks like it flew good and perfect landing there. Wow, with that density altitude I would have expected much worse flight performance, especially with that airframe.

Good job!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:18 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,364 Posts
Aros,
Thanks, I'll check my CG and all up weight. I think I'm prob. around 42-44 ounces now and CG must be around 98-100mm but I'll check. I kept the flight short because of the heat but battery was only warm so 5min. flight should be possible with this setup. I could prob. drop down to a 3000 4s and save some weight.

Take care -- Stacker
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:55 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Light is the key, no question. Keep her flyin'!

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aros; Jul 10, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:10 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Light is the key, no question. Keep her flyin'!

FedEx is on their way to my house with #3 today...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:29 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Sweet! I just ordered #9 today. Don fixed my power system (a spare housing, one motor was fried, ESCs were okay and both the motors and ESCs were direct soldered) so it will be ready to go in #9.

I'm getting a 4S 4000 40C SkyLipo (unless I hear otherwise from the Habu Jury) and as cool as it is, the afterburnerz kit is going to go in some other - less testy - EDF.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:51 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Sweet! I just ordered #9 today. Don fixed my power system (a spare housing, one motor was fried, ESCs were okay and both the motors and ESCs were direct soldered) so it will be ready to go in #9.

I'm getting a 4S 4000 40C SkyLipo (unless I hear otherwise from the Habu Jury) and as cool as it is, the afterburnerz kit is going to go in some other - less testy - EDF.
I'm tempted to go the same route with the battery. That battery should be able to handle the load of the two 4000kV Wicked Plus motors with ease! I crammed two 4S 2200's in my last one, but it was a tight fit! Honestly, it was harder to run the Y-connector to both batteries and get it all to fit inside the battery bay... a problem that a single battery would likely fix. In the mean-time, I've been flying my 4S 2200's in my Phase3 F-16 and guess that I've been pushing them pretty hard... of the 4 batteries that I've got, 2 of them have one cell that's running down much faster than the other 3... so not something that I feel comfortable putting in a new Habu.

The Phase3 F-16 floats really well, and even if I hit LVC with those (bad) batteries, it's not a problem getting it back to the runway. I took the EagleTree pitot tube and airspeed indicator out of Habu #2, and put it in the F-16... so far, I've hit 105mph on 4S. I need to send an email to EagleTree and ask them about the calibration on the unit -- I expected to get a bit more out of the 4S setup, but I'm up in the high desert of SoCal and am flying at about 2,400'MSL... which right now, on a hot day gives me a density altitude of about 6,000'!

I'm also thinking about putting in a separate BEC that runs off of the main battery pack to power the receiver. I'm not sure if it's necessary though... but it might eliminate power problems to the receiver if I've got clean power that's not coming through one of the ESC's.

Anyone have thoughts about using a separate BEC???
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra68 View Post
Anyone have thoughts about using a separate BEC???
I always run a seperate BEC on anything above 3s voltage and always when running twins.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I always run a seperate BEC on anything above 3s voltage and always when running twins.
Thanks Joe... good to hear that I'm not marching down an unnecessary path to add weight more to the plane!