Going through seven airframes can do that to a man. LOL
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,967 Posts
Good job,, glad you got her going...looks great...
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:17 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,303 Posts
Well boys, I'm nothing if not entertainment...

Another Missadventure with my 64MM SR-71 Blackbird (2 min 42 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:27 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,395 Posts
LOL... You experienced the dreaded SR-71 flat spin.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:44 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,303 Posts
What part of dead sticking an SR-71 in mid-flight sounds like a good idea? LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
25 Posts
Congrats on the flight! Lookin' good!
lildaddym is offline Find More Posts by lildaddym
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:45 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Again you nailed it with the video Aros. It was just luck that I was still at the field when you showed up. As a matter of fact I was doing my last heli flight when you drove up. Sorry that you had so much trouble with the Blackbird today, but you were able to take it home in one piece, and that's a good day!

Love the FPV camera view of the stall though. GREAT VIDEO!
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:52 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildaddym View Post
Congrats on the flight! Lookin' good!
Which part? LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:53 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
Again you nailed it with the video Aros. It was just luck that I was still at the field when you showed up. As a matter of fact I was doing my last heli flight when you drove up. Sorry that you had so much trouble with the Blackbird today, but you were able to take it home in one piece, and that's a good day!

Love the FPV camera view of the stall though. GREAT VIDEO!
Thanks again Wayne for the ground coverage! Looking forward to your version!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Thanks again Wayne for the ground coverage! Looking forward to your version!
Oh yea, goin' to have some fun with this! Once I'm done, I'll post the video to this thread. So stay tuned!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:27 AM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Almost Ready...

Aros,

Great videos... glad to see that you had a successful "re-maiden"! I've been crazy-busy at work lately, but your vids inspired me to put the finishing touches on my Habu today.

I didn't realize it at first, but I had a bit of epoxy that got into one of my fans... and, like an idiot, I burnt out a 60A speedo in the process trying to figure out why the motor that I knew ran (because I had balanced it on my dynamic balancer before I put it on the plane) wasn't spinning.

A minor surgery later, the extra epoxy is gone. I'm a bit worried that my plane will be a bit heavy... with 2x 4S-2200mAh 40C batteries, it weighs in at about 1.7kg. The good news is that with Don's 4000kV motors (the same one's you are running), it's at least got a 1:1 thrust ratio. Not bad... but the approach speeds will be FAST!

Today, I also upgraded the nose retract to a servo-less retract (just like I put on the mains). I was going to go with the stock retract, but the way the set-screw (which was metal) was left to just screw into the retract housing (which was plastic), I thought it was a better investment to throw $10 into a nosegear retract that wasn't going to collapse on me.

The last secret that I've been keeping... and I apologize to all of loyal HABU followers/owners out there... but I decided (for the initial flights) to paint the belly-plate on the aft part of the fuselage a high-vis yellow. The way I figure it, I can either fly a plane 6-9 times that doesn't look scale (because it has yellow on it) and then paint it black after I get used to looking at the orientation in flight... or I can run the (high) risk of busting up my "scale looking" plane after losing the orientation of it on the maiden flight and then having to fix it and fly a non-scale looking plane until I decide to eventually go worm-hunting with it.

Should my Habu #2 make it far enough along into its intended "service life", I'll be sure to give the plane a fitting matte-black paint job.

Not sure if the weather will allow a maiden tomorrow... supposed to be WINDY in SoCal tomorrow (at least here in the High Desert)!

Wish Me LUCK!
-Sully
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:23 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,303 Posts
Thanks Sully - You're only on #2?!?? I WISH!! LOL

Too funny about the high-vis yellow...I had a guy ask me today why on earth I didn't have a bright color on the bottom to help with orientation. I told him that orientation is the LEAST of my worries with this plane! If I can just hand launch her I'm happy, LOL.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,967 Posts
Did you give up on the bungie launch??
Seems like everything that can happen has happened to you
This bird seems to have a very narrow operateing parameters....if it gets outside this , it falls out of the sky...I had a dead stall on mine and it went straight down..but I had enough altitude to recover...still waiting to try mine with the stableization system...this might be the trick to recover before it gets into these situations?
I had to paint my whole bottom bright yellow, just can not see like I use to ..
It also seems that even with all that power it still gets into places that it will not recover...interesting.
The video was great...I would have liked it without the music so I could hear the comments and the engine noise to tell when power was added..maybe a 2 parter{ one with and one without}...cause it was GREAT music.for the situation..I just like to hear whats going on and when power is applied and how much..It looked pretty windy by the sock???
Thanks for sharing....
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:46 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,395 Posts
That dead stick flat spin and subsequent lack of recovery resonse is what has me working on a special power system. Top speed won't be as high as it could be, but if everything works out as planned the thrust will be high enough that it should be able to pull vertical upon a stall and power right out. The trade off is less top speed, I think the thrust overkill will save the airframe when it enters a situation that would be death to another setup. Looking forward to seeing the results. Imagine hand launching and immediatly pulling back on the elevator and powering straight up with no effort.......That's the plan anyways......
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Ok, boys and girls, as promised, here is Aros and his attempts to get the Blackbird into the air. We had some fun with this video, so sit back and enjoy!

http://youtu.be/IfQNtOhWhz8
Last edited by seahawk1984; Apr 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: fixed youtube link