HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2008, 05:16 AM
Speed Freak
United States, OH, North Olmsted
Joined Nov 2005
1,311 Posts
Awesome job Don!! Can't wait to see it fly in person.
Spid is offline Find More Posts by Spid
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:02 AM
Miami,FL
Joined Jun 2007
763 Posts
looks good. Are you gonna hand launch or put the wheels on it?
rick88ss is offline Find More Posts by rick88ss
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:39 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
Hand launch!
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:53 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,424 Posts
SR looks awesome Don and best wishes for your father and his speedy recovery
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:35 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,038 Posts
sr

Got my ama mag. the other day and saw a sr-71 from easytigermodels.com.
List for $289 w/o receiver. They state that they only fly what they sell and this model is a rocket with a 4 cell.
They have 40 amp. speed controls but suggest a 18c bat., thats just 39 amps.I emailed them to ask how an 80 amp. can run on a 39 amp battery.
I watched the vid and they are wide open all the time.
I was not impressed at all with the flight even though it did take off on grass.
I think dons plane is the best so far.
I have learned to watch the take off cause they can't fake the distance it takes and that tells a lot on the power.
Hope all have a very MERRY XMAS AND NEW YEAR.
sanman55 is online now Find More Posts by sanman55
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:28 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
I just got back from the park and maidened the SR-71 in the 33F air. Hand launch was each with about 3/4 throttle. The aileron were touchy and they were on low rate so I need to rework that. I needed the high elevator throws though. The model flies awesome! I am very happy, it also slows down nicley to land. The head cam recorded the launch before the camera died, it does not like the cold it seems. It was scooting along pretty good.

Here is all the video I have!
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=GxViEnntb9w

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:34 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
Oh Don...your killlin me! I have been waiting to see yours fly.I gotta ask...top speed est.?Hows verticle?Flight time on what battery?After the waiting,We get a 10 second video!!!! Dont make me come over there! Joe
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:40 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,215 Posts
Don, you`re a braver man than I am LOL.

Seriously, doing the head-cam thing is hard. Half the time I forget to start the camera, the other half, the camera isn`t aimed right.

Lookin` forward to a longer video. Good job!!
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:08 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky
Oh Don...your killlin me! I have been waiting to see yours fly.I gotta ask...top speed est.?Hows verticle?Flight time on what battery?After the waiting,We get a 10 second video!!!! Dont make me come over there! Joe
I only did a few WOT passes but I would say it was 90mph. Hard to tell though as the model is big. It sur elooked cool coming right at me! I had a little bit of a hard time flying it as the ailerons were way to touchy (at least at full speed). I used two 3S2200 lipo. I was hoping to fly again tomorrow but the winds are suppose to go back up to 25mph again. What the heck is going on with the weather? The two days I have to work the winds die down, then as soon as I am off, they go back to 25mph!

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:10 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle
Don, you`re a braver man than I am LOL.
Seriously, doing the head-cam thing is hard. Half the time I forget to start the camera, the other half, the camera isn`t aimed right.
Lookin` forward to a longer video. Good job!!
I think the Fly Cam One does not like the cold. It works fine in my house now after it warmed up. It does appear that the new firmware fixed the audio lag issue.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:23 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,314 Posts
It looked great! When you get the controls sorted it would be nice to know the throws and rates you used. My SR is still in the box, I'm grinding away on all the mods to this crazy Spear, overboard as usual, but it's coming together pretty cool.

I found the same with the Flycam, the new firmware cured the audio delay and added a rough battery gague. I've found that the cam doesn't stay charged even with the power switch Off. It needs to be charged often.
RemE is offline Find More Posts by RemE
Old Jan 01, 2009, 11:42 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
Ok guys here is a longer video. One minute of flight before the Fly Cam one died again. It seems the camera battery stops running in the cold. Anyhow it was freezing out, 18F (-8C) but I got my flight in! The lower aileron rates were perfect. I will measure the throws for you guys.

Wicked Powered SR-71 Twin EDF (short clip) (0 min 56 sec)

The doppler is about 80 mph but considering the temp is so low, about 60-70 degrees lower than normal, I thin in the hotter thinner air it will go 90 mph on this setup. The last pass is the only WOT pass. Takeoff was about 3/4 throttle.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2009, 11:59 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,215 Posts
Looks great Don. Plenty fast and in better temps the lipos will put out more and speed will even be a little higher. These things look great in the air. Very smooth, they fly much "larger" than they are. I need to put mine back together.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2009, 12:05 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
The speed is good for me actually and since I have a few 3S2200 lipos that makes life nice. In anticipation of my FCO camera failing I also brought my audio recorder so I have the whole flight on audio. My best doppler was 90mph and that was with a 5-7 mph tailwind so it is an 80-85mph model in dead air. Then with the warmer air of summer and when the lipos can put out better power as well, I think 90 is a safe bet. I am very happy

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2009, 01:52 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,215 Posts
I agree 90mph is plenty fast for a super cool looking scale plane of this size.
RCG Plus Member