Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:53 AM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennamer View Post
Cobra68,

Are you really a test pilot and can you get me a ride in anything? I used to work A-shop on F-15's in the AF, but never got an 'incentive ride'. They only gave them to the @$$-kissers!

What do you fly (if you are at liberty to discuss)?

J
I really am a test pilot... I'm an instructor at the USAF Test Pilot School and primarily fly C-12's right now, but also have a lot of time in KC-10's and C-17's. We also get to do single flight evals on lots of different planes/helos/gliders -- we've got a bunch of old planes on contract that come out to Edwards for our students to fly... the MiG-15 just left, but now we've got a WWII T-6 (SNJ) on the ramp. I got to fly that a few weeks ago.

As for the incentive rides... best I could say is, "Good Luck"... ever since that submarine surfaced into the bottom of that fishing boat in Hawaii, it's really hard to put any civilians in an aircraft.
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:24 AM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Kenzo - Yeah I would love a sortie with a couple Habu's!

Cobra68 - Awesome! I should be getting my package here shortly I imagine. My main concern is getting the thrust tubes installed correctly. For whatever reason, I have had a whale of a time getting them installed and couldn't seem to understand how to do it correctly. Hopefully the third time's the charm.
Aros,
Do you have any engine nacelle parts left from any of your old birds? I took my old fuse and sliced the bottom half of the engine inlet/fan/exhaust off, so I'm left with basically a cut away view of the inlet/exhaust... and it has been very helpful in getting my thrust tubes adjusted "just right". It might have been the particular printer that I used to print Don's thrust tube plans, but I had to tweak them just slightly to get them to fit. I'll upload some pics today to show you what I'm talking about... but now that I know they'll fit, it should make the installation a bit easier since I won't have to try to make small adjustments when they're in the exhaust.

What power setup are you looking to run?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra68 View Post
I really am a test pilot... I'm an instructor at the USAF Test Pilot School and primarily fly C-12's right now, but also have a lot of time in KC-10's and C-17's. We also get to do single flight evals on lots of different planes/helos/gliders -- we've got a bunch of old planes on contract that come out to Edwards for our students to fly... the MiG-15 just left, but now we've got a WWII T-6 (SNJ) on the ramp. I got to fly that a few weeks ago.
That is so awesome. I'm jealous. I have some hours in a T-6, but oh..... to be able to do what you are doing now. The last T-6 I flew had 5 hours on it since a total restoration. It was mint and flying over the swamps of Florida, it was being back in the 1940s. I felt honored to fly her.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Quote:
My main concern is getting the thrust tubes installed correctly. For whatever reason, I have had a whale of a time getting them installed and couldn't seem to understand how to do it correctly.
You might try making the tubes up first and butting them up to the fan shroud before installing the said fan shrouds. Later, when it comes time to install the tubes, you'll know they'll butt up perfectly...
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzo77 View Post
Kennamer,

I am looking for a weighing scale with those digital read outs but its just too pricey over here.

Anyways both my EDF units are parallel with the main landing gear unit, is the nose of the plane gonna be heavy? i am gona be using 2250mAh, 4S 65-130C turnigy nano-tech batts.

im trying to get 3.5kg of thrust, is it possible since the edf each unit are rated up to 1.7-1.8kg of thrust. Sufficient for taking off?
3.5kg will do it...that's a huge number for this airframe...the max weight for this airframe is under 1.5kg...

Another way to express that is 'watts per pound'...the going theory is 300 watts per pound for a decent flying model...another reason a scale is important.

Yep, this hobby costs alot...after a good batt charger, a scale would be the next tool in the box, then a watt meter...if they are expensive, try flying planes with something that is critical you've 'guessed' on. That goes for any of the flight systems on your model.

Joe
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:06 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
Quote:
Aros,
Do you have any engine nacelle parts left from any of your old birds? I took my old fuse and sliced the bottom half of the engine inlet/fan/exhaust off, so I'm left with basically a cut away view of the inlet/exhaust... and it has been very helpful in getting my thrust tubes adjusted "just right". It might have been the particular printer that I used to print Don's thrust tube plans, but I had to tweak them just slightly to get them to fit. I'll upload some pics today to show you what I'm talking about... but now that I know they'll fit, it should make the installation a bit easier since I won't have to try to make small adjustments when they're in the exhaust.

What power setup are you looking to run?
No I finally threw out my last old carcass. I've completely run out of room for all of my planes so the wife said, "well, something's got to go." So the carcasses were the obvious choice. My biggest mental road block is getting them taped properly to the fan shroud once the motor/fans are installed. Redlite has a valid point about testing them up against the shroud first before installing so I know there's no issue. The other issue is how the motor wires stick out of the back and how to tape around them. Cobra68, there's a reason I don't work for NASA or have your bad @ss life, LOL! </envy>

My power setup is the HET 6404 fan and Wicked 4000 Plus combo with 60A esc's which is good for 800W for a 1,600watt setup, the fastest setup Don has. I'll be running a 4s 4000 45C battery. Lucky #7 needs lots of get up and go as a hand tosser...
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys!

Thanks and well i haven't get to weight it yet since the ESC and the batts havent arrive. the plane does look crappy and slightly heavier then the stock ones, actually i was just planning to fly it stock first before i go further and get use to flying it first but as you can see in one of the pic, the fan blade actually broke before take off, think it kinda vacuum in a small piece of stone or sand and broke the blades, damn! So i had to start ripping it apart.

So i am just wrapping this to make sure its really robust since this is gona be a training kit, i had already flew the f18 and get the hang of it, that plane is soo easy to fly tho, and it hand launches easily.

As for the blackbird, how do you guys accurately get the CG and how do you know wether the nose or the tail is heavy? Please do help me out here guys, as all i do now is have a tip of my finger on the CG spot and see which part drops below.

Thanks guys

P/S : Aros, how is lucky number 7?
I just want to make sure on this. Are you using two ESC's? One is not enough. Also, snip or unseat the pin on one of the red wires on the ESC control at the Y cable. That is an important detail.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
dLdV,

Hi mate, no i bought two since each motor would need each ESC rite? Anyways read i did read about that somewhere if your running twin, one of the ESC Control you will need to cut one of the red wires from either one. But since it is an opto ESC, and im gona run with external receiver pack supply, i wont be needing to cut the red wires rite? or i should still cut it?

Thanks mate!
Kenzo77 is offline Find More Posts by Kenzo77
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:31 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,448 Posts
Oh yeah. Opto isollation will need the power from the receiver. Leave both power wires hooked.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Last edited by dLdV; Feb 19, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:39 PM
but it's a nice obsession
Sandy, Utah
Joined Apr 2003
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Hi mate,

you mean just for the first time connection? or every single time when the battery is connected to the ESC?

Thanks guys!
It is just the first time unless you change transmitters, then do it again.
jgmtens is offline Find More Posts by jgmtens
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:55 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
I just want to make sure on this. Are you using two ESC's? One is not enough. Also, snip or unseat the pin on one of the red wires on the ESC control at the Y cable. That is an important detail.
Builder's Tip: Don't alter the wires from the ESC... get a short servo extension and cut the red wire on the extension. Then, use the altered extension between your ESC and receiver... that way, if you ever want to use your ESC (with BEC) again, you don't have to do anything to get the red wire connected again... just remove the servo extension.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:42 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
No I finally threw out my last old carcass. I've completely run out of room for all of my planes so the wife said, "well, something's got to go." So the carcasses were the obvious choice. My biggest mental road block is getting them taped properly to the fan shroud once the motor/fans are installed. Redlite has a valid point about testing them up against the shroud first before installing so I know there's no issue. The other issue is how the motor wires stick out of the back and how to tape around them. Cobra68, there's a reason I don't work for NASA or have your bad @ss life, LOL! </envy>

My power setup is the HET 6404 fan and Wicked 4000 Plus combo with 60A esc's which is good for 800W for a 1,600watt setup, the fastest setup Don has. I'll be running a 4s 4000 45C battery. Lucky #7 needs lots of get up and go as a hand tosser...
Sounds like we'll be running similar power systems... I just got the 4000kV Wicked Plus motors, and will be running them with the stock fans. I just spent a couple hours balancing them using the same dynamic balancer that Don has. I'm planning on running 2x 4S 2200mAh 20C batteries. I'll have to limit the time at WOT to quick bursts, as I'm sure this setup will be pulling more than 88A at WOT!

I can't seem to stop spending $$$ on this build.... don't tell my wife, but I also just ordered the EagleTree pitot tube that Redlite had/has in his bird . I told her that I just ordered a bunch of wire connectors and other cheap stuff (so she's not surprised when the box arrives)... she just smiled and said that she was gonna go and get a pedicure then to keep things even... (this will be the cheapest pedicure that I ever buy... because I got a lot of other "wire connectors" to go with the pitot tube)

Here are some of the pics of my new motors and my donor bird remnants for test fitting my thrust tubes (the motor in the donor bird is the OLD EDF motor, not one of Don's new 4000kV Wicked Plus EDF motors)...

Hey... I'm not the only guy who tells little "white lies" to his wife about his airplane addiction spending, am I?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:56 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
Quote:
I can't seem to stop spending $$$ on this build.... don't tell my wife, but I also just ordered the EagleTree pitot tube that Redlite had/has in his bird .
Ooooooh that's right. Redlite had all the goodies...Must...Go...Search...Thread...

Quote:
Here are some of the pics of my new motors and my donor bird remnants for test fitting my thrust tubes (the motor in the donor bird is the OLD EDF motor, not one of Don's new 4000kV Wicked Plus EDF motors)...
Thanks as always for the photos! Looks like a perfect fit. Where I get all discombobulated is how to install the tubes without that ease of access like your cutaway donor bird illustrates. Shove them in the back exhaust ports, slide them forward and try to tape them down from the open EDF covering area?

Quote:
Hey... I'm not the only guy who tells little "white lies" to his wife about his airplane addiction spending, am I?
If RCG was was comprised of members who didn't tell those little white lies to the wife about his airplane addiction spending you wouldn't have anyone to talk to.

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
Oh yeah. Opto isollation will need the power from the receiver. Leave both power wires hooked.
thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmtens View Post
It is just the first time unless you change transmitters, then do it again.
All right, will do, thanks mate!

Quote:
Sounds like we'll be running similar power systems... I just got the 4000kV Wicked Plus motors, and will be running them with the stock fans. I just spent a couple hours balancing them using the same dynamic balancer that Don has. I'm planning on running 2x 4S 2200mAh 20C batteries. I'll have to limit the time at WOT to quick bursts, as I'm sure this setup will be pulling more than 88A at WOT!

I can't seem to stop spending $$$ on this build.... don't tell my wife, but I also just ordered the EagleTree pitot tube that Redlite had/has in his bird . I told her that I just ordered a bunch of wire connectors and other cheap stuff (so she's not surprised when the box arrives)... she just smiled and said that she was gonna go and get a pedicure then to keep things even... (this will be the cheapest pedicure that I ever buy... because I got a lot of other "wire connectors" to go with the pitot tube)

Thats a nice setup mate! and dont worry about the white lies mate, i do the same to my girlfriend and my assistant lol

Quote:
Ooooooh that's right. Redlite had all the goodies...Must...Go...Search...Thread...

Thanks as always for the photos! Looks like a perfect fit. Where I get all discombobulated is how to install the tubes without that ease of access like your cutaway donor bird illustrates. Shove them in the back exhaust ports, slide them forward and try to tape them down from the open EDF covering area?

If RCG was was comprised of members who didn't tell those little white lies to the wife about his airplane addiction spending you wouldn't have anyone to talk to.

Heya mate,

i tried doing that before, fitting the thrust tube with just the oem cut out but dem it was soo hard to fit and was wondering how one earth did you guys previously manage to fit it. So what i did was cut out the whole entire piece, well not all but i could say i left a gap of about half an inch on both inlet and outlet area which made my life so much easier installing the tubes.

If you saw my previous pic, my whole entire inlet and outlet is covered with the tubes to provide smooth airflow and also smooth and better thrust on the exhaust outlet. And yea i broke my intake cone as well, not on purpose tho lol.

Im gona get the digital read out weight scale and i am really hoping that its not too heavy to fly my habu or else....
Kenzo77 is offline Find More Posts by Kenzo77
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:43 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
I could really use a YouTube video of the thrust tube installation. Any takers?
RCG Plus Member