HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:00 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Here's some photos of my second flight tonight. I tried to fly her as close to dusk as I could without losing her. Even in the daylight those burners look so sweet!
Way to go Aros! Looks beautiful. How does it feel with that CG? Give us all your control settings if you get a minute.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2011, 12:08 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
@ Aros...Great shots of a beautiful model!

Our bird is down due to a rudder servo failing on the work bench while testing the new three-wheel main gear and landing/taxi lights...rats...well, better down here than up there...

Joe
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Old Oct 01, 2011, 09:50 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Awesome pics. Glad you are happy with the afterburnerz kit, let's see some video!
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:13 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
I need a video camera first, LOL. Yeah I know. Waaaaay behind the times. Any suggestions for good quality video?
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2011, 11:03 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I need a video camera first, LOL. Yeah I know. Waaaaay behind the times. Any suggestions for good quality video?
Believe it or not, this short vid is an example taken by a Casio EX-233. Very reasonably priced and does a fairly decent job. Not bad for overcast / low lighting.

FMS F4D Skyray ducted fan jet (1 min 18 sec)
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 01, 2011, 01:22 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Not bad! I've been meaning to get an on-board and static video recorder too. Thanks for the tip.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:16 PM
I always find software bugs!
United States, AZ
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Hi Aros,

I wouldn't even buy a video camera these days. Just get cheapo 12MP -14MP digital camera from Wal*Mart. Most of them shoot a minimum of 720P HD video, with some shooting 1080P HD as well. Like Joe mentioned, they do an impressive job. I bought an inexpensive Canon Powershot after reading reviews and comparison shopping. It was on sale for $140, and it has been a great camera. Note: Some inexpensive cameras won't let you zoom in and out while shooting video (because the zoom mechanism is loud enough to smother the audio). Pay attention to that if you want to be able to zoom while recording. My cheapie will let me zoom to where I want, then record, but not during. You will also need to make sure your memory card is a high quality class 4 or above if you are going to record in HD. I bought a 16GB Sandisk class 4 for $20 the other day, so they aren't too bad. I'm no expert, but I act like I know everything if you need some help.

Good luck!

J
Kennamer is offline Find More Posts by Kennamer
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:46 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Hey thanks Kennamer!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:26 AM
I always find software bugs!
United States, AZ
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Kinda quiet in here... anyone doing anything? I'm going to buy my second Wicked 4000+ fan and ATX 7ch RX this payday. Just need some 4S batteries after that! Anyone use CF rods to strengthen the fuselage joint when attaching the front to the rear?
Kennamer is offline Find More Posts by Kennamer
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:24 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
I'm going for another flight with her tomorrow actually. Haven't flown her in a couple weeks. It's hard as I can't hand launch her myself with the way I carved out the mid section for all of my mods. Didn't leave any room for a grip. So my buddy launches her for me (one hand on the tail and the other cupping under the mid section) but he's rarely available. The good news is that airframe #6 is lasting longer, lol!

My next frame will be 100 percent Wicked powered. Really looking forward to that. I'm bummed that I couldn't get the tube mod to work. She's still fun to fly but a bit sluggish with the afterburners. I'll be getting that video recorder soon too!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:08 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,006 Posts
Its strange to be back here after a yr.. I too saw the nitro add and ordered mine...should be hear tomorrow..I am takeing my su-34 fans and set up and putting it in this bird...It uses a 4 cell and puts out almost 1100 watts @ 71 amps...that ought to push this puppy along...re-reading all this and getting excited...Glad to see all hear again...
sanford
sanman55 is online now Find More Posts by sanman55
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:59 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,006 Posts
Just got my kit and was very impressed with it..All the parts in bags and everything wrapped nicely..Got wires too... This will take some time...have a lot of trimming to make things fit...esc..and battery...just going to take my time to get it right the first time.. Landing gear look pretty flimzy.....won't take much abuse at all...thinking about putting a parachute on for those fast landings..

One question... on the retracts ..will a regular servo work, 90 degree or do I need 180 degree one...I tried the 90 but may not have it adjusted properly..
Thanks ..
sanman55 is online now Find More Posts by sanman55
Last edited by sanman55; Oct 17, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:19 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,068 Posts
A lot of times on the mechanical retracts you have to set your EPA to like 120% or 140%
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:37 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
471 Posts
Also, I try to set up the retracts so the clevis attachment point, servo drive shaft and the retract push rod are all in a line when the gear is extended. That way if the lock in the retract fails it will have less leverage on your servo gears and your servo will have a lot of mechanical advantage when it is pushing/pulling the push-rod the last bit to engage the down lock. I don't tend to worry too much about the up lock since I don't land that way (usually... ).

A little ascii diagram:
Code:
|-servo arm
|
|    |-Retract push rod
|    |
|    |            |-Retract housing
0===>-------------|
scott.
GuppyG is offline Find More Posts by GuppyG
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:15 PM
powder springs georgia