Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:18 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Now I just need to figure out how to add those shockwave diamonds!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:36 PM
I always find software bugs!
United States, AZ
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
If you attached some clear plastic strips in the exhaust nozzle, the LEDs would light them up as they fluttered violently behind the plane!

Like those fake flame lights with tissue or plastic being blown vertically with a fan and illuminated from underneath.

(http://www.starmagic.com/store.cgi?A...LAMP+0+1B3A011)
Kennamer is offline Find More Posts by Kennamer
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:58 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
I like your thinking Kennamer...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2011, 07:43 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,403 Posts
CG on my first one was 78mm behind the nacelle inlet. Not the cone, the flat part of the inlet itself.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:55 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
I'm trying to remember what my last one's CG was. I do recall it was more aft from the 78MM recommendation...For whatever reason mine was very nose-heavy at 78MM. Maybe I will go 80 and work from there...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:02 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I'm trying to remember what my last one's CG was. I do recall it was more aft from the 78MM recommendation...For whatever reason mine was very nose-heavy at 78MM. Maybe I will go 80 and work from there...
perhaps. Nose heavy is a quick fix for the tendency to flat spin when stalled. The whale tail mod does wonders for elevator authority as well. I have one that I fly as a pusher prop and there are no problems with a wide range of CGs because of the whale tail mod. In fact, i can pull the nose up to a 45 angle right before touchdown and it's responsive and controllable. Stalling it at high alpha gets the wings rocking back and forth though. Amazing how much lighter and how much more effecient a pusher is.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:28 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
I thought about doing that whale tail mod. Someone also said adding rudder seemed helpful too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:45 AM
United States, AZ
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Hi guys.

I'm looking to buy one of these SR-71s and have done enough homework to realize there are two different molds, The Lanxiang LX-71 and the MaxJet SR-71 (Nitroplanes).

I am looking to buy the kit version of the Lanxiang LX-71.

Does anyone know where I can get one at a decent price? I do not want the MaxJet version from Nitroplanes (even though it is only $57.95 right now!) The confusing part is that they show the Lanxiang version at the top of their SR-71 webpage, then a ton of pics of the MaxJet version. I contacted them today and confirmed they only sell the MaxJet brand.

Thanks in advance!

J
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:04 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennamer View Post
Hi guys.

I'm looking to buy one of these SR-71s and have done enough homework to realize there are two different molds, The Lanxiang LX-71 and the MaxJet SR-71 (Nitroplanes).

I am looking to buy the kit version of the Lanxiang LX-71.

Does anyone know where I can get one at a decent price? I do not want the MaxJet version from Nitroplanes (even though it is only $57.95 right now!) The confusing part is that they show the Lanxiang version at the top of their SR-71 webpage, then a ton of pics of the MaxJet version. I contacted them today and confirmed they only sell the MaxJet brand.

Thanks in advance!

J
BP Hobbies has the LX version. It's $108 plus shipping, no electronics.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:27 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
What's the difference between the two?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:59 PM
Now, what does this button do?
Christchurch. NZ
Joined Dec 2009
501 Posts
IMHO, the LX version is the pick of the two (I have both)
The panel lines are nowhere as deep & as extensive as the Maxjet version.
Plus the finish, I think is better & the battery cages. etc were already black, not white,
Nukiwi is offline Find More Posts by Nukiwi
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:28 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
I vote for the LX too...seems the other one might be a knock-off, it does not have the same level of detail and finish as the LX. This may not be important to some and will save them about $25-$50. Depends on your project as to which one to buy.

I just added rotating beacons, top and bottom. These are on the gear switch so they only come on when the gear is down. On the real deal, the lights retracted during the mission.

Also added a dual nose wheel as the kit wheel is a bit on the smarmy side. The kit mains are even worse, but three-wheel mains sounds tough...

A set of Joe's afterburners is in works...soon, I hope...right, Ben?

Joe
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Last edited by redlite; Sep 08, 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:07 AM
United States, AZ
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Hi guys.

I found the LX for $85 + shipping.

So has anyone broken the 100MPH barrier? I read that someone in this forum was trying to do it on 3S (I forget who) and was having a hard time, but what about 4S?

I am going to put two dynamically balanced 64mm Wicked 4000s running twin (smaller) 4S packs with dual 60A Hobbywing Platinum ESCs. I won't get super long flight times, but I should be able to do some speed runs. I need to keep the gear so it might be kinda heavy, but maybe the weight will help accelerate the plane during my pre-speed-run dive!

I'm going to look into gear doors to clean up the aerodynamics when the gear is retracted, and I'll fill the void that is molded into the wing for the ESCs.

Anyone up for some friendly competition?

J
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:38 AM
Now, what does this button do?
Christchurch. NZ
Joined Dec 2009
501 Posts
Go back through the thread, mine ran 2 x 2200, 4s packs. Std motors.
Sure was not 100+ mph.
Now if I can get the time, I have another kit with two somewhat hotter motors & 45 Amp EScs. Just need the time to put it together......
Nukiwi is offline Find More Posts by Nukiwi
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:31 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
Could any of you kindly confirm if the version available from HobbyKing is the LX or re-branded MaxJet (NP)

Thanks, Neil
Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes