HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:10 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,255 Posts
Hey Hackdoot,
Congrats on the successful 1st flight. Sounds like the pucker factor was real high.

Mine just arrived about 1/2 hour ago and I'm about to post pics of the contents and then get down to business.

RJ
rowdyjoe is offline Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,255 Posts
Well, as stated above, mine arrived and I've inventoried the contents of the box and all seems to be present and accounted for. Here's the pics.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:52 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileCoyote View Post
....When your plane arrives let me/us know how many blades the fan units have, etc. Pictures would be good. I'm curious to see what the similiarities and differences your ARF is from mine and the others who have posted here.

Mike

My bird came with 5 bladed fans and they were a real pain to balance. Both were heavy on one side and they both took what seemed like a pound of electrical tape to get them to balance. Wish I had weighed the tape I added to see just how far off they were. However, I was cutting the pieces pretty small so, it probably wasn't as much as it seemed to be.
Both motors are mounted and have been test run outside the plane. All appears to be good and those little 5000kv motors really make the fans scream. This bird is going to sound great with these combos.

RJ
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:22 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Do you tape the ends of the thrust tube to the fan housing unit before you install the motors? I couldn't keep them taped to the fans.
The trust tubes butt up to the back of the fan unit. They do not go around the housing. You install the motor/fan into the plane then insert the tubes from the back of the model then they are taped to the EDF housing. They are meant to align with the inner diameter of the hosing becasue the foam is molded such that the housing outside diameter is recessed into the foam. So there is no way to make the thrust tube fit over the housing, it can only butt up next to it.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:49 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,347 Posts
Thanks Don. I used the wrong terminology. I meant back of the fan unit. I appreciate the explanation.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:41 AM
USA, CA, Oakley
Joined Aug 2008
213 Posts
Don,

I don't believe on my version from Nitro Planes that the EDF's fully recessed into the body. I was able to slip the thrust tubes over the rear of mine, which is what I did since the templates I printed out didn't fit. I noticed there were other subtle differences, like the absence of the retaining clips for the EDF covers on my version as well. Mine is sealed up now, so I can't really confirm, but from the rear I don't see this.

-Eric
hackdroot is offline Find More Posts by hackdroot
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:50 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,255 Posts
With the thrust tubes installed, is it really necessary to close the holes in the intake (cheater holes) or exhaust area? The cheater holes should help air intake and the exhaust holes are closed off by the tube. ?????.

RJ
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:23 PM
USA, CA, Oakley
Joined Aug 2008
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyjoe View Post
With the thrust tubes installed, is it really necessary to close the holes in the intake (cheater holes) or exhaust area? The cheater holes should help air intake and the exhaust holes are closed off by the tube. ?????.

RJ
I didn't close either. The rears will be blocked bu the thrust tubes.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:02 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,255 Posts
Hackdroot,
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I left it all open ....looks cool that way.

Well, I did it again. The plane is almost finished and I forgot to take pictures along the way. I guess I'll have to set a periodic alarm from now on or have my wife nag me about it .

Ran it up on the bench with a somewhat fresh Hyperion 3S 2600mah 25C battery. She draws a bit over 70 amps and develops about 725 watts after 10 sec. or so. Not bad at all. I'm looking for some good speed out of this one. Maybe as good as Don's ????? Hope I can fly mine as well as he did. I'd hate to wreck it on the first flight.

I still have to install the main gear and set up the linkage. Nose gear and steering is working fine. I took some pics and will post them here but, it's nothing you guys haven't seen before. I also have to install the verticals and the canopy and probably have to enlarge the battery compartment. I ordered two Gens Ace 3800mah 3S 25C batteries for this bird and the battery box is a bit short for them. (don't get excited guys, I'm only flying one battery at a time ). Looks like it shouldn't be too difficult to open it up to the rear and slide it under the belly skin. Had to add a foot of battery wire to the ESC leads to make it all the way to the batt. compartment and the heavy gauge wire is a bit stiffer than I'd like. Hope I can work around that issue without opening her up again.

The thrust tubes were a bit of a pain to fit since I cut one of the donuts too small in the middle. After opening it up, everything fit tight. They're in there solid and should make a nice difference in speed. I was able to gain 22mph after adding a thrust tube to my 70mm NP Mig 15. She turns heads at the field now.
As you see in a couple of the pictures, my thrust tubes are red. I had a choice of colors in .05" plastic sheet ....blue, green, or red (not clear) so, ...... I could have gone with .10" but, it's too stiff for small tubes (works fine for 70mm and up). I think the read makes it look "hot" inside the exhaust. Maybe I should have shopped for orange so it would look more like flames.
I have some of the blue fan-fold foam board laying around so, I cut a couple of small pieces to cover the ESC bays. I glued them in place with CA (foam safe of course) and then painted them with flat black acrylic. Looks nice. The ESCs are inside the body.

This is a good kit overall. Everything looks good and fits very well. The retracts are "el cheapos" and won't last long but, metal replacements are not very expensive. Other than looks, the best thing about this kit is the price. It's hard to beat for $60.

These pics are "ho hum" but, here they are anyway. You'll notice I have a small amount of touch up painting to do too.

RJ
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:03 AM
USA, CA, Oakley
Joined Aug 2008
213 Posts
As much of a nail biter my maiden was, the cool factor kept me grinning. I've loved the SR-71 since I was a kid and flying one through the air just....well... rocked. It will never be my go-to, but a novelty that definitely draws attention. For $60, it's really affordable fun.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:31 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,255 Posts
Guess I was too excited about finishing this project to sleep so, I installed the main gear and hooked up and adjusted the llinkage. Then, I attached the canopy and verticals. She's just about ready to fly but, I need to double check controls and throws. I have to wait on my batteries too and they won't be here until mid next week. Measurements from the web site indicate the battery will be approx. 3/4" too long so, I'll have to carve some foam too.

She sure looks great sitting on the bench and those motors sound so good when I rev them up.

RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Jul 24, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:15 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,255 Posts
Another bench test ....I've been curious about the amount of thrust this system makes so, I measured it this evening. The bird weighs 2lbs. 1oz. with a Gens Ace 2600mah 25C battery installed and develops 2lbs of thrust. So, I'll be pretty darned close to a 1 to 1 ratio and I LIKE that.

RJ
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:58 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,347 Posts
Question for those of you who hand toss her:

Where do you grip? To accommodate my 4S 4000mAh I've made a few adjustments and I find it hard to grip the undercarriage for launch. Any ideas besides holding my club's president by gunpoint demanding a paved runway for our EDFs?

(Kidding about the gun point thing. How about ball point pen point?)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:02 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
I cut finger holes into mine and threw it like a baseball. It flew right out of my hands...
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:28 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,347 Posts
Yeah that's what I've done but I always feel like the holes are catching my fingertips a bit on release causing some serious wing rock for a few hairy moments...
RCG Plus Member