SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:47 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Don, how does it look for going with 70mm fans? Does it have enough material to remove?

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:55 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,588 Posts
Subscribing, looks good!
RemE is offline Find More Posts by RemE
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:57 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
Don, how does it look for going with 70mm fans? Does it have enough material to remove?
Doubletap
70s should go in.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:11 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,588 Posts
I've got the airframe coming from Nitro as well, tomorrow. I'll go with the wicked 4800's, they look great and solid with those EDO plugs. May I ask the normal amp draw on these, and what size 3 cell packs you are using? Just trying to get a feel for runtime. I'll be adding the retracts and probably a few more goodies.

In looking at the tailcones, are the oversize outlets just supposed to be cosmetic, with the "real" exit being back-set inside? I take it you think this will mess with the outflux? If you add thrust tubes, how far out will you take them?

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:19 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
The 4800s on 3S will pull about 35 amps and be about 360 watts each. I plan on using two 3S 2200 lipos, maybe two 2600s . I am not sure why they did what they did on the tailcones. I am going to make my outlets 80% on these. Once I have them drawn I will post the templates for the tailcones and for the centering ring. They will end at the current exit but will just smaller in diameter.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:19 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
It's too bad they just didn't set this up for 70mm because looking up that intake shows it could easily be done.

Exhaust tube shouldn't be bad to pull down the exhaust size to 54mm for each side.
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:39 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
I'm thinking the tail cones are actually there just for cosmetics; they are much larger in diameter than the actual molded exhaust duct but that's why it shouldn't adversely affect the performance. They are there just for looks but are not functional in any way.

Doubletap
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:43 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,588 Posts
Right, but I gather that even the smaller "live" duct is too big, and could use a smaller tube still.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:54 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
Well it is a sudden expansion and I remember sitting in my Fluid Dynamics Labs and measuring pressure losses in sudden expansions and contractions. So for me it is just taking the outlet energy we have and throwing some away for no good reason.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2008, 02:00 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,588 Posts
Two 4800's and two pentium 40's ordered!

I will go with a modified E-Flite F-15 nose retract and Great Planes 0.10's for the mains . I had great results with them on my modified HL F5-E Camo and this plane's a pound lighter. The stock retracts are too delicate, the plastic gear wire holder's with grub screws are a weak link as is the wire itself, too soft and no spring coils.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 02:05 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,588 Posts
Don, I like the way you think Looking at the pics of the tailcones again, would those intakes that flow into those turbulent zones act as venturi's, drawing an air cushion around the outflow and relieving some of that "trapped" turbulance? Aaaa my head is beginning to hurt, I'm an electronics guy....

Also, looking in the box, were there decals (with correct USAF spelling) and red trim tape??
Old Nov 25, 2008, 02:17 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
Well it is a sudden expansion and I remember sitting in my Fluid Dynamics Labs and measuring pressure losses in sudden expansions and contractions. So for me it is just taking the outlet energy we have and throwing some away for no good reason.
I understand what you are getting at but although jet turbine and ducted fans are both "reaction" type engines, they are different in that the turbine jet benefits from the expansion of hot gases which doesn't exist with the ducted fan. But then again, it's been over 2 decades since my aerospace engineering days in college and almost a decade since I last worked in the industry, so I am a bit rusty.

Doubletap
Old Nov 25, 2008, 02:54 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
they are different in that the turbine jet benefits from the expansion of hot gases which doesn't exist with the ducted fan.
Actually I was referring to simple shop air being blown down a clear acrylic tube. At least that is what we had in my labs. No turbines or hot gases, we would burn ourselves for sure I recall we had ~3" diameter clear tubing with shop air blowing down it then we measured the head losses from expansions going from say a 3" to 4" tube then compared our measured head loss "K" factors to what was published in our textbooks based on the expansion area ratios. Lots of fun

I need to grab my Fluids book and take a look to refresh (been 13 year myself). Might be fun to see what is going on. My Eeagletree can get me airspeed then that leads to Reynolds number and so on....

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:06 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
I weighed all the parts on the scale. Here is my weight break down.

All foam parts and EDF units: 14 ounces
Two Wicked 4800 motors : 4.2 ounces
Two Pentium 40 ESCs: 2.5 ounces
Two servos and servo extension: 1.0 ounce
Receiver: .3 ounces
Two 3S lipos: 6.8 x 2 = 13.6 ounces

Total: 35.6 ounces plus ~2 oz for other stuff so lets call it 38 ounces. I should be getting about 700-750 total watts. So that is about 300 watts per pound Just how I like my EDFs!

Don
What is the inner diameter of the motor mounts?
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:20 AM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,635 Posts
ALright GREAT you started this thread. Getting really tried of people bitchin.
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster