HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:15 AM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
569 Posts
Discussion
New prototype from Spain...

Hi everybody.

My name is Cesar (from Spain) and I want to show my bike, custom designed and pretty different to anyother seen before.

Itīs a 1/5 nitro powered, that includes a quite strange rear suspension system...

More info coming...

trf_414_m2 is offline Find More Posts by trf_414_m2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:39 AM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
I really like it.

Great design!

Keep up the good work.

Ciao
Jena67 is offline Find More Posts by Jena67
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:52 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Newark.Nottinghamshire.UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
Excellent,it's always good to see some new ideas emerging,especially a nitro bike. The frame looks to be nice and rigid.
Please keep us updated as you finish and run it.

Allan
Allan Waterfall is offline Find More Posts by Allan Waterfall
Old Nov 24, 2008, 01:32 PM
Joined Dec 2007
75 Posts
Excellent work Cesar...
CLKSPEED is offline Find More Posts by CLKSPEED
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:15 PM
Warwick - UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,151 Posts
Nice Beam frame, but I can't see in the images how the rear shock is mounted or how the linkages work, any rear end shots please?

Also, from the front, does the fuel tank obscure the very low engine from the cooling air flow at all, or is it off to one side to allow glow plug access?
Dez82 is offline Find More Posts by Dez82
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:59 AM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
569 Posts
the tank is right behind the front wheel, so I have to look for fresh air from the side of the bike....

And I have cut a cowling out from a sheet of Lexan that exposes the head fins to the air flow...

As anything you can see here, the cowling is quite strange too...

The plugs heating is done by an extension wire that you can see right up the Rotostart...

Low quality shots here, waiting for better ones soon:

About rear suspension, you can see in these poor shots small details about the rear shock that crosses the swingarm right in front of the wheel to reach the suspension belcrank...

This is a compact system to multiply the rate of the rear shock without increasing the spring/oil rate, plus adding more complex progresive damping depending on the position of the belcrank shaft and angle (shock length too)

More pics soon...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:17 PM
germany
Joined May 2004
350 Posts
Very impressive design, Cesar!
I just realised the rear brake mount for momentum compensation!
What about the ground clearance with the very low engine position? I imagine it is sticking out quite far...
Lots of amazing details! Itīs a pleasure to look at your bike!
Hugo

www.rc-bike.com
dan duesentrieb is offline Find More Posts by dan duesentrieb
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:23 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
569 Posts
Thank you everybody for your comments and ideas....
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:41 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
569 Posts
Hugo, about ground clearance, I have installed a very narrow clutch assy (figure that I have to cut the crankshaft about 5mm...) and engine is mounted much centered than NFīs and TTīs.

I have checked about 55 degrees without hitting the track with any part of the bike, but I can go much farther as soon I remove the Rotostart backplate of the TT PRO 12BK (designing a new one I mean, because I donīt know any that will fit this engine...)

I think that Iīll gain about 8 degrees doing that...

Iīll post upper pics of the bike chassis soon in order that you all can see a new meaning of the word "narrow".... Itīs not as extreme as electric bikes, but itīs a quite narrow nitro... (just check the length of sliders shafts compared with chassis width,in coming pics)

More info about front steering assy in next post...

PD: Anybody have info about any backplate that will fit my needs? Dynamite 12? Traxxas 12? Any OS 12, 15 or 18? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by trf_414_m2; Nov 25, 2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:50 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
569 Posts
About rear floating brake, youīre right, I have set up a momentum link to the chassis (in fact, belcrank shaft ends in a 5mm ball), in order to transfer some of the energy of the rear brake to the chassis and avoid rebounds of the wheel...

I need to go to the track to test it, but I think it would be a big improvement about rear brake feeling...
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:40 AM
Joined Apr 2007
480 Posts
Hi Cesar,

I have just fitted a OS18 to my TT nitro carbon chassis,and i think the back plate would fit,as i have the TT .12 and it looks to be the same?....but the person who would know on this forum is allan waterfull...

symon is offline Find More Posts by symon
Last edited by symon; Nov 26, 2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:40 AM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
I think the mounting holes are different.I would think that by the time you've bought a new backplate and starter shaft the expense would be better put towards a different engine though.

Allan
Last edited by Allan Waterfall; Nov 26, 2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:17 AM
Choice Bro!
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Apr 2007
152 Posts
Hi Cesar,

that looks like an excellent design, especially the main frame, suspension and braking-can't wait to hear how it handles. Depending on the results you may have to add some air scoop guides on the sides of the fairing to make sure the engine gets enough cooling.

RC motorbikes are great in this respect, you just don't see 4 wheeled RCs being uilt from scratch like this, boats and aircraft maybe but I'm not sure if the same invention and ingenuity is shown as with the bikes.

Keep up the great work everyone, this is one passionately dedicated RC hobby!

nzdans is offline Find More Posts by nzdans
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:39 AM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
569 Posts
Hi Allan...

About the backplate, I want to remove any starter system from it. Thatīs why Iīm looking for another one...

Iīll use my starter box then and Iīll get much ground clearance for left turns (right ones too...)...

Thanks to all the support about the completion of this proyect.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 05:44 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
Hi Cesar,

You've obviously got facilities and ability to turn and mill things,so perhaps your best bet would be to make a new backplate and just grind the starter nib off the end of the crankpin.

Although to be honest I don't think the bike will lean over far enough for the existing backplate to ground out,unless the engine is a lot lower than it looks.
The engine looks about the same height as the wheel axles in the pics,but without a top view it's hard to see how much it sticks out.

Allan
Last edited by Allan Waterfall; Nov 26, 2008 at 05:49 PM.