SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2008, 01:59 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2008
100 Posts
Build Log
Tippecanoe T-37

Hello new friends this is my first post and first RC boat and build. Did a quick search and only found a few post and no build log on the Tippecanoe T-37 so I thought I would start one.

Probably should have started out building something a little easier for my first boat but things seem to be going well so far thanks to the well worded instructions.

Not much advice on how to tape the side and the bottom together so here is how I did it.

Curving the mahogany veneer after steaming.

Did a hour or so of sanding today and still need to do more during the week sometime. Then next weekend I hope to get the deck all laid down. The mahogany deck was one of the options. Its going to add a ton of hours to the build.

PS sorry I cant figure out how to rotate the images. Its late and I am going to bed.
slimdog is offline Find More Posts by slimdog
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2008, 06:37 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
934 Posts
Welcome T37 sailors !

Hi Slimdog
I just received the winter 2008 issue # 154 of Model Yachting , the
official magazine of the AMYA - and I see that the Tippecanoe 37 is now a
sanctioned class of the AMYA . Congratulations to all T37 owners !
I saw one of these T37's at an open event our club had this last summer
and it was a gorgeous yacht .
I believe the link for class info is:www.modelyacht.org/t37.html
Good luck with your build slimdog - I hope this build log helps all of you .

Allan
Chicago
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:54 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2008
100 Posts
Thanks for the update thorsail. Its good to hear that there are enough T-37s out there now too have an AMYA class.

Just adding a couple more pixs this week and have two questions.

1. My boat comes with mylar to cover the holes in the deck. I would like to build some kind of cabin or cover out of wood. Should I just glue the wood from the cabin to the mylar or what other way is there to seal the holes in the deck with a wooden cover?

2. I still have to epoxy in the keel and was wondering if there would be any performance difference if the keel was father forward or backward in the keel slot in the bottom of the boat? There is about a 1/4" of play front to back in the hole in the bottom of the hull.

Here is what the deck looks like after the first round of deck being laid. I still have to epoxy the wedge shaped bow piece under the bow plate and then sand and shape the bow.

The keel and rudder after being epxoyed together. The rudder has a little bend to it not sure if I should try and straighten it or not?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:50 PM
Joined Nov 2008
5 Posts
slimdog-

I have two T-37s and find the mylar/tape deck covers work quite well. I would not use the mylar as a base for your cabin deck cover. It might catch some water over the deck and get washed off. One of the guys I sail with has a 1/16" thick clear plexiglass cover and uses 4 small brass screws with 1/4" wide x 1/32" thick sticky back window/door insullating tape as a gasket.

Not sure about performance with the keel location. IMO, the skipper is the biggest factor in performance.

You might be able to straighten the rudder by saturating it with epoxy and then clamping flat or use weights on a flat surface. Use plastic wrap (epoxy wont stick to it) between clamps or weights.

Ron
Arrow99 is offline Find More Posts by Arrow99
Old Dec 18, 2008, 02:33 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,458 Posts
We have one in our club and it is a little faster than the Nirvana...if skippered by the right Capt.

It is a very beautiful boat!
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jan 09, 2009, 11:10 AM
Battle Creek Mi
Joined Jan 2005
760 Posts
Slimdog, how is your Tippecanoe coming along? I'm following the deck you are doing closely since that is my next step. Also, was the slot for your Keel centered on the bottom part of the hull? Mine was off to one side about 5 mm. Crewdogg
Crewdogg998 is offline Find More Posts by Crewdogg998
Old Jan 09, 2009, 08:21 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2008
100 Posts
Its going good so far but have been stuck on the keel and rudder for the last week or so. They both have a bend in them. I have tried to bend them with weigh on them for days. Then I epoxyed them and put weight on them. It helped a bit but I sanded the epoxy off and tried it again with more weight. Still not perfect but will have to do. My mahogany deck is all laid and sanded and I have just installed and drilled the rudder column.

Hoping to get the keel epoxyed in this weekend.

One tip I would tell people is to do the lay out for the rudder column before the hull is fabricated. Also if you were going to paint the hull it would be been a good idea to layout the paint lines with a straight edge or tri-square before the hull was epoxed together.

I purchased the varnish kit with the boat. I was wondering how much it would fill in as a wood filler? I still have some pin holes in the deck which I hope will be filled by the varnish. I would like to varnish the hull but I am not sure if the varnish will fill the courseness of the hull wood. Guess I will just try one coat on the whole boat and see what happens.

My keel slot in the bottom of the hull is centered between the beam. 5mm is quite a bit out for a product that comes out of a CNC router. What are you going to do about it Crewdogg998?

Good luck with your build. Feel free to post some pixs of your build too. I will post some more soon.

-S
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:28 AM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
If the keel slot in the hull bottom is off center 5mm, I would call Tippecanoe and ask them to send a new hull bottom.
There are detailed instructions in the T37 book describing various methods to fill, varnish or paint the hull. If varnishing bare wood, you could just varnish and sand multiple coats. You could practice possibly by testing on a similar piece of scrap wood in the kit.
I built a T37 a year ago. Attached is a picture when I finished it. I'm currently building a Tippecanoe T50MOD. I've just about finished the hull and moved to building the rigs. I'll post some pictures in a new thread when I finish.
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:14 PM
Battle Creek Mi
Joined Jan 2005
760 Posts
Slimdog, thanks for the update and the info on the keel/hull. Any pointers are appreciated as you progress through this build.
Jpatters, I d id contact Will at Tippecanoe about the keel being off center. He was as puzzled as I was but I had the picutres to prove it. I have a fair amount of time into the boat so I declined the new hull that was offered. I elected to widen the slot a few MM and fill in with thickened epoxey. I think it will be as strong and will sail the same once fixed. It is something I would check if I built another "Tippi" though.. Crewdogg
Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:10 PM
Roseland, NJ
Joined Jan 2009
3 Posts
HI all,

Just purchased a T37...........waiting for it to arive! I have built RC planes in the past but this is my first atempt at sailing. I would appreciate all advise & reading material anyone could suggest. I will post my progress as it goes! Thanks in advance for all help!

Stay well.
Bob DeMassi is offline Find More Posts by Bob DeMassi
Old Jan 17, 2009, 03:13 PM
Battle Creek Mi
Joined Jan 2005
760 Posts
Hello all, I'm about to start the deck planking on my T 37. I gather from the instuctions that I'm supposed to run one plank straight down the middle of the deck. From there I'll add toward the outside curve of the deck. This would give me basically straight planks. The curve would be at the outside edge. Is that correct? Thanks in advance, Crewdogg
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:50 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2008
100 Posts
So you got the mahogany veneer deck as well Crewdogg. It adds a ton of hours to the build I think but worth is so far. I would say yes to your question. Start from the middle and work your way out to the edges. I did mine in four of five sessions of epoxying. My advice would be to make sure to press them all as close together as possible. I did mine in a different design. But using a pair of sharp scissors worked great for me. Also if you run the planks over the deck holes and then dremel (if you have one) the openings back to shape with a steel straight edge seem to work good for me. Once you do the first session you will work out the kinks and get into a good rhythm. I would also layout a few pencil lines parallel to the center one so you can make sure they are all going on right through out the whole process. Oh ya I also just planted over the mast hole and the other brass fitting hole and then used my template that I made of the deck before I started the project. Then I just put the template over the deck and drilled the holes. The brass hole in the deck is a pain in the neck though. I laid out the planks over the brass fitting and then took them off and pinned them to a block of wood and then put masking tape over the planks so they wouldn't split while I drill them. Seemed to work ok for me.

I haven't touched mine in a couple of weeks. There is still ice on the waters around here. But I did go away for a four days and left some weight on my keel and it seems to be a bit straight now which is good. Now I have to sand the hull once more and then I will epoxy the keel in.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:41 AM
Joined Nov 2008
5 Posts
Here's a couple of deck shots of my two boats. I did a couple of curved perimeter strips and a center strip to start. Then layed strips from the center and worked to the out side.

Ron
Arrow99 is offline Find More Posts by Arrow99
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:47 AM
Battle Creek Mi
Joined Jan 2005
760 Posts
Thanks for the pointers guys! Every Tippi looks different from the next.
Arrow, that is one pretty boat! Crewdogg
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:53 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2008
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob DeMassi
HI all,

Just purchased a T37...........waiting for it to arive! I have built RC planes in the past but this is my first atempt at sailing. I would appreciate all advise & reading material anyone could suggest. I will post my progress as it goes! Thanks in advance for all help!

Stay well.
Welcome to the board Bob. Feel free to ask anyone of us about any questions you may have about your T-37.