Old Nov 23, 2008, 04:54 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Alert
Barge equipment

Oh... oh.. oh...

I've just found two beauties these in the local 'consignment' store..

A Crane, standing 18" tall and a Front Shovel, 12" long.... and they are both RC!.... and only $14.99 each

Why am i thinking a couple of construction barges for my Springer's..
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2008, 04:57 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
They are also available here...

http://yhst-90871347430291.stores.ya...-vehicles.html

But not $14.99
Old Nov 23, 2008, 05:40 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,186 Posts
Sweet find ....

there's also one there that resembles a Harbour crane ,,

I think i now need a barge
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:37 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,778 Posts
I bought one of those cranes from Hobbytron. It isn't bad for the price, just plan on being a bit disappointed in it. The cable and boom are on a single winch so they come up together. I ripped out the crawler drives as it will be affixed to the barge and are unneeded (the crawler function kinda sucked). I am also making a new body and I extended the boom (I'm not happy with my boom extension and will have to remake it). I am also thinking about taking the controls out of the funky controller and mounting them in a black Radio Shack project box.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Last edited by Prins Willem; Nov 23, 2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:48 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prins Willem
The cable and boom are on a single winch so they come up together. I ripped out the crawler drives as it will be affixed to the barge and are unneeded (the crawler function kinda sucked). I am also making a new body and I extended the boom (I'm not happy with my boom extension and will have to remake it). I am also thinking about taking the controls out of the funky controller and mounting them in a black Radio Shack project box.
I bet you were a fun child to have around after Xmas day!..

I'm planning on keeping the crane 'as is', but dissable the tracks so it cant move on deck. The crane's i have seen on the decks of barges seem to be the 'crawler' type.
A few cabin's and something to lift on to the dock should make it interesting.

The shovel i was planning on a sand or gravel barge, again with the tracks dissabled.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:59 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,386 Posts
The stationary cranes they sell might make good dock cranes.
Pehaps a whole harbor set up.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:31 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
be a fair scale dock as well!
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:20 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
I bet you were a fun child to have around after Xmas day!..
Actually I was pretty good about keeping my toys in decent shape. It was a long time between Christmas'. Summertime was usually a quarter or fifty cent trip to Woolworth's for caps, or balsa airplanes, or tin boats.

Let me know when you are starting your barge and I'll e-mail you some of my barge photos for detailing.

Bill

BTW, back then quarters were earned so you made them go as far as possible.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:16 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,698 Posts
When I worked for a marine construction company we had three barges and three pushboats and each barge had a crawler crane on it. These barge sets were used primarily for piledriving operations for building docks of all sizes. The cranes were always being moved forward or back and some side to side to position the leads or for loading lumber and or pilings for transit to a work site. Unless you have to deactivate the crawlers for keeping the crane on the barge it would be more prototypical to have them activated for occasional moving to balance the load. Just a thought from back in the days of doing this kind of work. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:39 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,778 Posts
Edward E. Gillen Co. does most of the marine construction around here. The pictures of their barges I have show the cranes cabled to the deck pretty securely. The cranes they use have a real good reach so they probably don't need to move them around. Gillen doesn't have any fixed crane barges. They do most all the deep foundations in Milwaukee so they have plenty of crawler cranes in inventory.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:25 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,778 Posts
Norgale, I just remembered another reason to keep your crane tied down:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8072946@N06/3045230542/

This happened at Skipper Buds Marina on The Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee on Nov. 17th. There is a 25' boat in there somewhere too.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 10:29 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
.. and with a virtually dry paint brush you end up with a real good looking crane...
Old Dec 02, 2008, 08:52 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Here's some drawings on an old Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton crane for anyone who wants to build one from scratch or do a rebuiild like Prins Willem
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Dec 02, 2008, 09:09 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
When I worked for a marine construction company we had three barges and three pushboats and each barge had a crawler crane on it. These barge sets were used primarily for piledriving operations for building docks of all sizes. The cranes were always being moved forward or back and some side to side to position the leads or for loading lumber and or pilings for transit to a work site. Unless you have to deactivate the crawlers for keeping the crane on the barge it would be more prototypical to have them activated for occasional moving to balance the load. Just a thought from back in the days of doing this kind of work. Pete

All the crane flats in my region has crawler cranes are tied down with rachets and whenever they need a little more streach a harbor boat moves the barge. most of the crane flats are used for dredging, placing lids on hoppers, taking material out of a leaker and putting it in another barge, and lifting heavy parts onto and off boats in dry-dock.

For construction work, like bridge building, they use large platform cranes.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Dec 02, 2008, 09:59 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,778 Posts
I took the treads off mine and shot them with red oxide primer. I plan on using some different shades of brown to age them. The black just didn't look right to me. I don't know how well the primer will stay on as the material is kind of elastic but some flaking may help the effect.