HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:13 AM
Joined Jan 2008
389 Posts
Discussion
Need advice on plane to build SLOW FLYER

Any suggestions for a really easy to build, very slow flying plane that could be used in a cul-de-sac sized space? Nice and smooth without being twitchy.

I am probably going to build one of the wonderful Blu Baby 33" or 42", but that plane will serve in a park-sized area. I am looking for something that will fly in a very small area. I prefer if it looks like a plane, but doesn't have to.

Saw the Bowstick but appears to be a bit big. Anything like that kind of Slow-Stick/Slo-V design in a smaller size? Wingspan of maybe 18-24 inches?

Also saw the One Buck, One Minute Delta. That looks super easy to build and very stable. Not twitchy like some of the smaller nutball type planes. Also uses parts that I intend on ordering anyway to use in a Blu Baby 33"

Any advice would be great. I am trying to put together an order from HC soon so I can get some of this stuff and be able to build before X-mas.
Thanks
nikg is offline Find More Posts by nikg
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:23 AM
Joined Jan 2008
389 Posts
Actually I just saw a video of the nutball inside a gym. Doesn't look as twitchy as I thought it was. Maybe I was thinking of a different plane or it was outside in the wind or something.

Can the nutball be built with 5gr. servos, 10A esc and a blue wonder 25gr. motor or is that stuff too big?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:30 AM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikg
Any suggestions for a really easy to build, very slow flying plane that could be used in a cul-de-sac sized space? Nice and smooth without being twitchy.

I am probably going to build one of the wonderful Blu Baby 33" or 42", but that plane will serve in a park-sized area. I am looking for something that will fly in a very small area. I prefer if it looks like a plane, but doesn't have to.

Saw the Bowstick but appears to be a bit big. Anything like that kind of Slow-Stick/Slo-V design in a smaller size? Wingspan of maybe 18-24 inches?

Also saw the One Buck, One Minute Delta. That looks super easy to build and very stable. Not twitchy like some of the smaller nutball type planes. Also uses parts that I intend on ordering anyway to use in a Blu Baby 33"

Any advice would be great. I am trying to put together an order from HC soon so I can get some of this stuff and be able to build before X-mas.
Thanks

there is a 24" version of the bb as well
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:53 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Actually I just saw a video of the nutball inside a gym. Doesn't look as twitchy as I thought it was. Maybe I was thinking of a different plane or it was outside in the wind or something.

Can the nutball be built with 5gr. servos, 10A esc and a blue wonder 25gr. motor or is that stuff too big?
Nutball would be a great choice for a small space. My suggestion would be to build a very.... very light BluBaby 33" with the under camber wing. It will fly slower and in a smaller space than a 24" anything unless you are looking at a micro ultra-light like the Park Zone Vapor RTF.

I've built a 24,33, and 42" BluBaby and the 24" is the fastest of the bunch. Hope this helps.... Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:04 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
I designed the One Buck One Minute Delta but also built Goldguys Nutball and must say the NB is somewhat better in a tight space and also capable of slower flight. The difference is not huge though. IBIM can be built in 1/10th the time, can be trimmed faster than NB but but also very slow, and has widest range of battery size ever:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932323

They are so easy to build why not try both?

I'd suggest the 8 sided version of NB to cut down build time. Also recess the prop instead of out front if you don't have a big box of spares.

PS I fly my IBIM in basketball court. Trim with elevons up and battery back (high alpha). Secret is small battery. Your gear is perfect for either.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Last edited by rich smith; Nov 23, 2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: new drawing
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:01 AM
Joined Jan 2008
389 Posts
My goal is to have a nice slow trainer for my son. I was initially thinking a BB33, but that may be the next plane instead.So a nutball or 8-sided version (8 ball?) would be a good choice it seems. The Delta is also a possibility, and switching gear from one to the ohter would be easy with velcro tape.

Is this gear OK to use for either of those planes?

*24 gr. 1500kv blue wonder motor
*5gr. HXT 500 servos
*Corona synth micro 72mhz RX (4gr.?)
*10A super simple ESC (6gr.?)
*900mah mystery lipo from Deal Extreme (40-50gr.)

If no to any of these, then what is no good/too heavy? If anything I was thinking battery or motor might be too heavy, but I don't think so.

If that stuff all seems OK, then what size prop and wheels for landing gear?

Also, the IBIM takes a short time to build, but the nutball doesn't seem too long to build either. HOw long would it take a noob to build the nutball?

Thanks for the fast replies. I'd like to figure out what to order before Thanksgiving.
Last edited by nikg; Nov 23, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:21 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Your choice of gear could not be better. 900mah (or smaller) also good.

As far as switching check out the motor tube and paper servo collar idea I came up with. You can not only switch batt/RX/ESC using velcro but motor and servos in a minute or two instead of an hour. I have dozens of planes but only use a couple sets of gear. Easy to swap in the field w/o glue.

IMO no wheels needed if you got recessed prop with wobbly. Only adds weight and weight is you enemy. Specially if starting out. The trick is to crash lots of times without damage. Heavy plane with prop out front not good.

Also keep in mind fancy schmancy airframe means fancy schmancy repairs so simpler the better. IMO Blu Beagle (and Frog) good choice because pusher=no broken props.

You seem to be making really good choices unlike many beginners who think planes like Balsa P51 or scale B52 good to start learning with.

PS Took about 10min to build my first NB:

Quote:
My goal is to have a nice slow trainer for my son. I was initially thinking a BB33, but that may be the next plane instead.So a nutball or 8-sided version (8 ball?) would be a good choice it seems. The Delta is also a possibility, and switching gear from one to the ohter would be easy with velcro tape.

Is this gear OK to use for either of those planes?

*24 gr. 1500kv blue wonder motor
*5gr. HXT 500 servos
*Corona synth micro 72mhz RX (4gr.?)
*10A super simple ESC (6gr.?)
*900mah mystery lipo from Deal Extreme (40-50gr.)

If no to any of these, then what is no good/too heavy? If anything I was thinking battery or motor might be too heavy, but I don't think so.

If that stuff all seems OK, then what size prop and wheels for landing gear?

Thanks for the fast replies. I'd like to figure out what to order before Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:30 AM
Joined Jan 2008
389 Posts
Is it OK to build these out of foamboard like the Elmers stuff or from dollar store? I would rahter not have to buy $40 worth of fanfold and I think EPP(?) is expensive?

Any CF bracing needed or just basically cut a circle, make cuts for bends/control surfaces, cut out a rudder and main spar then attach all your gear and fly. Seems very very simple.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:44 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
FFF is a lot stronger than foamboard due to higher density and skin but both will work. I hear it's a pain to get the paper off foamboard but makes it lighter (not so strong). Not sure if that compensates for more than double the weight or not.

I tape strip of CF around front edge and it's definitely worth the couple extra grams on the Nutball. I do not cut out the control surfaces but rather "groove" them like shown in the delta thread. Then a little PU/water. With FFF skin holds it together and is also hinge so ends up much stronger than cut/glue method. Certaily easier and quicker.

IMO FFF worth the $40 and ends up much cheaper per sheet than foamboard. Stronger because of skin and easier/lighter since no paper. Big problem is where to store that darn bundle! I bought two whole pallets for use in my bidness so imagine my predicament.

Quote:
Is it OK to build these out of foamboard like the Elmers stuff or from dollar store? I would rahter not have to buy $40 worth of fanfold and I think EPP(?) is expensive?

Any CF bracing needed or just basically cut a circle, make cuts for bends/control surfaces, cut out a rudder and main spar then attach all your gear and fly. Seems very very simple.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 03:29 PM
Joined Jan 2008
389 Posts
Is the pink FFF just as good as the blue stuff? Only saw pink at Home Depot the other day. I'll check Lowes.
Maybe I'll try to score some from a building site or just buy a bundle that is damaged maybe see if I can get a discount.

What size is the nutball? If I do foamboard then I can only make it 20" because board is 20"x30". I guess I could always cut the sides separately and attach with PU glue. Would be a bit more work but I could make it plenty strong I'm sure.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 03:45 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Nikg, build a 20" Nutball out of foam board. If you have a hobbylobby, the paper comes off more easily. Paper comes off with alcohol or soaked in a bathtub for the $tree stuff. Bamboo skewers are great and easy for spars. I have started using blenderm tape for hinges although the entire plane can be made with "cool" hot glue. PU glue and larger sides just adds complexity. A simple razor slit on the bottom side halfway thru and then bent to the right dihedral and hot glued in and you are done. I disagree about the wheels. Since you have a rudder and are flying in a cul de sac, you will want to taxi and protect your plane from road rash. I would only use no wheels on grass. Your son will also like to taxi and land I am sure. I even put landing gear on my son's air hog AA's because they were much more fun for him than tossing them. My two cents.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Nov 23, 2008, 06:09 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Rich Smith,

What is the 1" x 4" piece on the underside of your version of the Nutball?

BlueFFF
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Old Nov 23, 2008, 06:42 PM
Joined Jan 2008
389 Posts
20" nutball out of foamboard sounds like a winner. Easy to construct with no extra cutting or glueing. If made relatively light then no crazy bracing should be necessary.
Are there plans for the 20" somewhere? I'd like to put the prop in a slit as suggested in this thread to save it from front end collisions. Should I just size these plans down a bit to make it a 20"?

Is there that much difference in using 5gr. servos as opposed to 3.7gr. ones? It seems like barely more weight to deal with and the HXT500 servos got decent feedback on the HC site. I think the 3.7's didn't get as good reviews, but are their 3.7 servos any good?

What size prop for this combo? 8043 or 8040 sound good?

Are all my previously mentioned choices good in light of being only 20" and not 23"?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:06 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFFF
Rich Smith,
What is the 1" x 4" piece on the underside of your version of the Nutball?
BlueFFF
That is "V" shaped grip at Cg for hand launching. Replaces full length fuse on Goldguys original:
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:19 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I wouldn't do the prop that way because the prop protection will not be that much and it will increase the noise level as you don't want to bother the neighbors and loose your cul de sac. If you use a proper saver with some surgical rubber tubing cut into little rubber bands, you will have just as much luck or more. If the prop is spinning it will still smack the pavement and break.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf