SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by CaseySP, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 05:32 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,492 Posts
Build Log
New foam

The next step was to replace and repair the crushed foam. New depron sheet was cut to shape and rolled to follow the original cross sections. Joins between the old and new foam were backed up with depron foam - also rolled to the right shape.

Glues used were UHU Creativ for foam, 30 min Z-Epoxy & Weldbond.
CaseySP is online now Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:47 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,123 Posts
careful.. next you'll start scratch building!

Hey, can you give me any link on that bungy launcher? I think I NEED one, it looks too fun!
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:53 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcasualty
careful.. next you'll start scratch building!

Hey, can you give me any link on that bungy launcher? I think I NEED one, it looks too fun!
I have a sort of scratch build* depron FW190D in progress - but it's been held up by having too many good planes servicable at the moment. One day I'll get back to it.

[* - I didn't draft the plans myself, so technically its not a scratch build.]

I really enjoy using the launcher. It only takes a couple of minutes to setup, and gives a strong positive launch each time, every time. In fact I even modified my GWS FW190 and GWS Formosa (if any plane needs a bungee launch, it sure isn't this one) for bungee use, because it is so cool to use .

There are a number of threads on RCGroups about ramp design, and this is the one that was my inspiration.

Mine is a bit simpler to build - I'll post some photos/dimensions of all the key bits over the weekend.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:36 PM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
Foam Repair

Hey, I felt compelled to tell you that after reading your blog on the foam repair of the P-47, I was thoroughly impressed! I wouldn't thought that damage as severe as those pictures indicated would be repairable. If you wouldn't mind, would you elaborate a bit more on the foam repair. Specifically, how did you get it to the shape(s) needed? Where did you get the foam?

Thanks for the education,

Tim
whitehawk is offline Find More Posts by whitehawk
Old Nov 28, 2008, 07:04 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehawk
Hey, I felt compelled to tell you that after reading your blog on the foam repair of the P-47, I was thoroughly impressed! I wouldn't thought that damage as severe as those pictures indicated would be repairable. If you wouldn't mind, would you elaborate a bit more on the foam repair. Specifically, how did you get it to the shape(s) needed? Where did you get the foam?

Thanks for the education,

Tim
Thanks for posting here Tim.

The repair was a test to see if it could be done without destroying the flying characteristics of the Alfa too much. I'm happy to say that it flew as well as ever, but I think I added a bit of weight with the new paint scheme applying the paint a bit too thickly.

The repair was done using 6mm depron - seemed a close match for the original Alfa depron. I just picked up a sheet from my LHS.

To shape the depron, the first thing you need to do is find which direction the grain runs - a bit like balsa, the depron will favour bending in one direction but not the other. Once you've worked out the grain, cut out the required piece such that the grain is orientated in the direction the piece needs to bend (using a paper pattern).

Then it is a simple means of rolling the piece in the required direction using light pressure with the palm of your hand over a suitable radius. I used the bull-nose edge of the kitchen benchtop (kitchen counter for our friends in the USA). Just keep rolling it back and forwards, increasing the bend a little at a time until it closely approximates the desired shape.

I was able to match the Alfa P47 profile quite easily using the firewall at one end, and the surviving foam at the other. Joins on the foam were backed up with strips of rolled depron about 10mm wide.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:20 AM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
Did you use some kind of sandable filler in the joint between the old and new foam?
Old Nov 29, 2008, 03:19 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehawk
Did you use some kind of sandable filler in the joint between the old and new foam?
I used Red Devil Onetime lightweight filler to fill any gaps and wrinkles. Dries quickly and is very easy to sand.

Its made in the USA, so you should have no problems finding it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:30 PM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
Thanks for the good info.

Tim