HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:39 PM
United States, WV, Beckley
Joined Feb 2008
95 Posts
Discussion
Turbine powered rc boat

Hey guys, I know the site says "internal combustion engines". But here is my question. I have been into RC nitro and gas boats for almost 30 years. I am wanting to build my first actual turbine powered rocket. Preferably a hydro, but will consider a cat since they might prove to be more stable. I have been reading about the WREN turbines and found a few good vids of turbine boats. Does anyone know of a forum or site that would be of help? I do live in the US. Any help or advise here would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
kruiser7 is offline Find More Posts by kruiser7
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2008, 01:09 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,248 Posts
There are no dedicated turbine boat sites that I am aware of. The turbine hydro (Oberto) is making the rounds right now on gasoline, nitro and FE boat sites.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Nov 22, 2008, 07:41 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
There are fvery few turbine powered RC boats around, Peter Mueller now has two of them.
The IMPBA a few years back talked of getting a class going but it fizzled out quickly as it never got past the talking stage.
Here's his Miss Bud that I got a couple of shots from the Toledo show plus a You Tube video
:
INCREDIBLE Budweiser T-4 Turbine Hydro!!! (1 min 50 sec)
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Last edited by Ron Olson; Nov 22, 2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:04 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,433 Posts
I would think that a small turbine would be more prone to ingestion problems than a full scale turbine due to smaller tolerances. I can recall when they first started running turbines on the full scale boats that some of the recip guys would start races just hoping for the turbines to swallow some water so they could compete. If I recall correctly the last time a recip won the Seafair Trophy Race (Lake Washington in Seattle) it was because the rest of the boats had the fires go out. As a matter of fact that is still a problem when they run in San Diego bay.
Also an aircraft turbine doesn't have a drive shaft/gearbox for output does it? I know the turbines that the fullscale boats run are from a CH-47 Chinook. There are trubine heli's but I know they are pretty spendy.
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:09 PM
AMA 743519 Team Heliproz Pilot
United States, WA, Granite Falls
Joined Mar 2006
1,143 Posts
they do make a turbine for a rc heli. i believe thats what he is using. it would run off the tailshaft output.
drakonis is offline Find More Posts by drakonis
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:02 PM
Joined Feb 2008
95 Posts
I appreciate all the info guys, anything will be helpful, i like the boats, and i will build a turbine, jus need the right hook ups, thanks again and keep the info comin and i will keep u posted
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:08 PM
Joined Feb 2008
95 Posts
The one for the heli has to have an output shaft, right? So it could be coulpled to a flex shaft.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:46 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
MHZ makes a turbine for boats but it's really expensive. You might want to try Wren to see what they have.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:57 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,606 Posts
Kurt Schreckling has a book on building a turbo shaft engine, I started building it but the cost of components got to me. Its supposed to put out 4Kw and is smaller than the Wren MW54.
Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:35 PM
Joined Feb 2008
95 Posts
Thanks again, it's not like a money is no no object thing here, i am a construction worker, but i like my toys, keep any info comin, I do appreciate it, and I will stay in contact, I guess You could Say I want the top, but can afford the bottom, lol, but I will do what it takes, GO USA
Old Dec 09, 2008, 07:34 PM
I didn't have to use my AK
United States, NC, Etowah
Joined Nov 2007
365 Posts
It is a huge undertacking to go turbine! I guess the first step is to get a huge hull! have you found one that's that size? I know there is a couple of people that sell 1/4 scale in the UK , and one company that sells a 30% here in the states but its very pricey ( 2800 CF only) but I am sure that it would be a fun build and lots of fun at the lake. I did a 1/12 Miss Bud running a very old pulse jet it was fun, fast, and caught fire, all on its maiden trip!!
avoidingexpert is offline Find More Posts by avoidingexpert
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:39 AM
Bristol UK
Joined Oct 2007
53 Posts
Hi Kruiser

Ihave built a turbine powered MHZ "No Mercy" powered by a Wren 54 Turbine and MHZ gearbox, i would be happy to discuss with you either on forum or private message.

Somewhere on this forum i have posted pic plus you can see some vis on youtube if you search using my user name "paularai".
paularai is offline Find More Posts by paularai
Old Jan 04, 2009, 12:36 AM
Toledo, OH
Joined Dec 2008
46 Posts
do you have links to the 1/4 and 1/3 CF hulls?
UPSguy is offline Find More Posts by UPSguy