HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:22 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Discussion

Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Last edited by Usta Bee; Jun 12, 2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:27 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Last edited by Usta Bee; Jun 12, 2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:00 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Sure was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palomar...bombs_incident
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2008
7 Posts
During the cold war B-52's were always in the air, SAC bases in every part of the world were home to their crews.

Anytime a plane that size crashed it was a major mess, but at no time were the bombs that they carried armed, only when a response to an attack was needed were they armed.
So their bombs were only as dangerous as any other piece of flying junk their size and weight.
Rev-1 is offline Find More Posts by Rev-1
Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:06 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev-1
During the cold war B-52's were always in the air, SAC bases in every part of the world were home to their crews.

Anytime a plane that size crashed it was a major mess, but at no time were the bombs that they carried armed, only when a response to an attack was needed were they armed.
So their bombs were only as dangerous as any other piece of flying junk their size and weight.

...still not the kind of "junk" you want to fall in your backyard some evening...
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:14 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev-1

Not nearly true. As Martin has posted, we dropped nuclear weapons on Spain, one that hit land and released quite a bit of plutonium. As far as I know, the place is still so hot that you don't want to live there even after the cleanup. I'm familiar with that particular accident, as it blew radioactive material all over the area when the conventional explosive triggers went off. Only the fact that the triggers went off out of sequence, prevented a real nuclear albeit a squib explosion. The Spain incident is why the US revamped all of its weapons, so that mere impact would not set off the conventional explosives in the device. You can read about the incident and what the US had to do to correct the weapon's flaw at the Kirkland Museum of Nuclear Weapons in Albuquerque.
Quote:
A B-52 bomber carrying four hydrogen bombs collided in midair with a KC-135 tanker near Palomares, Spain. Of the four H-bombs aboard, two weapons' high explosive material exploded on ground impact, releasing radioactive materials, including plutonium, over the fields of Palomares. Approximately 1,400 tons of slightly contaminated soil and vegetation were later taken to the United States for storage at an approved site. A third nuclear weapon fell to earth but remained relatively intact; the last one fell into the ocean.
There have been a bunch of major accidents with nukes on board aircraft. Want a scare? Read this: http://www.cdi.org/Issues/NukeAccidents/Accidents.htm
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:32 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,241 Posts
Wasn't there another atomic bomb dropped just off the shore of Tybee Island, Georgia?
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:50 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
There have been a bunch of major accidents with nukes on board aircraft. Want a scare? Read this: http://www.cdi.org/Issues/NukeAccidents/Accidents.htm

Wow, that's quite a list, looks like we could have taken out numerous states as well as several other countries too.

One of my favorites from the list was parking the armored car on the silo doors so the missle couldn't accidently launch.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:59 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards

obvious where that problem began .....

"The accident occurred during a routine high altitude air refueling operation as the B-52 was returning to Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro, North Carolina, after flying the southern route of the Strategic Air Command air alert mission code named "Chrome Dome." The bomber was attempting its third refueling with a KC-135 tanker from the American base at Moron, when the nozzle of the tanker's boom struck the bomber. The boom ripped open the B-52 along its spine, snapping the bomber into pieces. The KC-135's 40,000 gallons of jet fuel ignited, killing seven crewmen."
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:22 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
it's "Morn" (accent on last syllable). When I copy and paste from the link the accent is retained. You didn't do a crafty bit of edting, did you Radix?
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:38 AM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
it's "Morn" (accent on last syllable). When I copy and paste from the link the accent is retained. You didn't do a crafty bit of edting, did you Radix?
not clever enough for that, it was a straight cut from Madsci's link.

Since you are a linguist, I'll let you know that hereabouts, we also stress the second syllable of that item - not that I would ever say such a thing... unless someone crashed their tanker into my bomber.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2008
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
Not nearly true. As Martin has posted, we dropped nuclear weapons on Spain, one that hit land and released quite a bit of plutonium. As far as I know, the place is still so hot that you don't want to live there even after the cleanup. I'm familiar with that particular accident, as it blew radioactive material all over the area when the conventional explosive triggers went off. Only the fact that the triggers went off out of sequence, prevented a real nuclear albeit a squib explosion. The Spain incident is why the US revamped all of its weapons, so that mere impact would not set off the conventional explosives in the device. You can read about the incident and what the US had to do to correct the weapon's flaw at the Kirkland Museum of Nuclear Weapons in Albuquerque. There have been a bunch of major accidents with nukes on board aircraft. Want a scare? Read this: http://www.cdi.org/Issues/NukeAccidents/Accidents.htm
Yes true, my point was not that they weren't dangerous, my point was that they were not in danger of setting off a nuclear blast.

Any time man fools with forces that could go wrong and blow up all of creation he is at risk.
But we have and probably face much greater risks in our lives than the results of an unarmed nuke in a plane crash.
It's not until we smarten up as humans and agree that those sort of weapons are not needed, much less wanted, to settle our disputes, will we begin to lesson our risks and make our world a safer place for our children.
Rev-1 is offline Find More Posts by Rev-1
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:59 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
Wow, that's quite a list, looks like we could have taken out numerous states as well as several other countries too.

One of my favorites from the list was parking the armored car on the silo doors so the missle couldn't accidently launch.
Yeah, I was on base for the Damascus, AR incident. In that case the many hundred ton door was blown off. I don't see how parking a few more tons would have helped, except to keep the missile from reaching its target. I had met one of the missile maintenance crewmen involved, we'd eaten lunch before with a friend from Tech School. Fortunately, the warhead was intact, and never leaked radiation. If it had, a bunch of people all over base would have been injured by radiation contamination, as they took the wounded straight to the base hospital without bothering to check for radiation, and we would have spread radiation into the local groundwater, if they had tried to decontaminate anything. It was a definite mess-up for all involved.

It took about a day to find the warhead. The Missile Wing Commander was gone in a week. The neighbors were very upset because they didn't know anything was wrong until well after it was all over.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:54 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,241 Posts
The 7,600-pound, 12-foot-long thermonuclear bomb contained 400 pounds of high explosives as well as uranium. But, it's no big deal they don't know where it is here's one link to the bomb I mentioned earlier:

link to CNN article
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man