SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2003, 03:33 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Greeneville, TN USA
Joined Mar 2000
652 Posts
How do you transport your batteries to the field?

Hey everyone,

I have over the last few months accumulated quite a number of flight batteries, and have a new issue to contend with this coming spring. How do I transport all these batts to the field safely?

Do you guys use a tool box or something similar to keep all your flight packs in?

Just looking for creative ways to handle this ... errr ... "problem".
bsumpter is offline Find More Posts by bsumpter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2003, 03:51 PM
Simian Member
Minneapolis, USA
Joined Oct 2001
245 Posts
This time of year there's also have the problem of keeping the batteries warm. I solve both problems at one time by microwaving a plastic one liter bottle of water until it's quite warm and dropping it into a soft-sided six-pack cooler. I pile my batteries into the cooler and head to the field. The batteries stay warm no matter how cold the air.
HardLander is offline Find More Posts by HardLander
Old Feb 25, 2003, 04:06 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Last winter I got a Barbor jacket from the then girl friend and it has a great big pocket on the butt that is suppose to hold the duck that you just shot. Well I have found that it is great for holding my bigger packs and my butt keeps them warm to boot. For my small packs the jacket has pockets for shells and they fit perfectly......Now when it gets warm I guess I am back to trying to ballance a half dozen packs the Tx. and the planes .

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Feb 25, 2003, 04:09 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Oh yea.......is it ever going to get warm and stop blowing?

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Feb 25, 2003, 05:40 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LJH
Last winter I got a Barbor jacket from the then girl friend and it has a great big pocket on the butt that is suppose to hold the duck that you just shot. Well I have found that it is great for holding my bigger packs and my butt keeps them warm to boot. For my small packs the jacket has pockets for shells and they fit perfectly......Now when it gets warm I guess I am back to trying to ballance a half dozen packs the Tx. and the planes .

Cheers,
Jim
MY barbour(s) (She bought me a new one for Xmas) have the duck pocket, two big side pockets and two small breast pockets, and another little pocket just up in the seam with a zip...

If the packs are Aga warmed before going out, it keeps the jacket warm beautifully.

Haven't actually tried it of course. You dont want to risk a $200 Barbour outside do you ?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 26, 2003, 04:08 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
No major thing on myu side. Just 1 small backpack, with 2 sections, charged batteries and dis-charged ones. It is heavy to this is why better carry it on your back.

Just 1 important thing, only batteries get into the bag, as I don't want to take a chance with any possibility of a shortcut.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Feb 26, 2003, 07:33 AM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
I've standardized on 8x600AE size and 10x2400 size packs, so this may not help. But, I have a 22" (or so) toolbox that has a tray and little flip-open compartments on top. I added a layer of foam on the bottom to cushion the packs.

I have my 10xsubC packs in the bottom of box along with my charger (Dymond Super Smart) and Whattmeter and logbook. In the tray, I keep my 8x2/3A packs as well as a couple of other small items. Then in the flip open compartments on top, I keep rubber bands, bolts, extra RX, talking timers, and other odds and ends. This makes it easy to bring the packs inside for charging and easy to transport to the field.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:33 AM
Sevier County, East Tennessee
Joined Oct 2001
481 Posts
I have about a dozen battery packs and transport them to the field in the bottom of my tool box. There are other things that rattle around in there so each pack is in a small platic bag with a rubberband around it. I started doing this after reading a few threads here about packs shorting out. I've thought about adding a layer of foam like Mitch has done. I'd add some slits in the foam to isolate the packs even more but I haven't got a round tuit
CADman is offline Find More Posts by CADman
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:51 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,284 Posts
Can you just imagine bsumpter trying to stuff a flight pack into his 12 gauge on a fast reload?

Or (heaven forbid) trying to plug in a pair of #4 bismuth rounds into the ESC?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 26, 2003, 12:17 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
Not the best solution but one that has worked for me. I keep my flight packs in a plastic file cabinet--one size (capacity)per drawer.
On fly day I simply choose the packs required by the planes I intend to fly and transfer them to my field support kit. This way I have only what I need for that day. It may seem a chore to move the packs from place to place but it really doesn't take much.

BillM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Feb 26, 2003, 12:42 PM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,140 Posts
I have some of those plastic "organizer trays" with 3 "slots" in them. Pretty cheap at wal-mart. I can fit two packs (10-cell or 12 cell stick packs) into each slot, so thats 6 packs per organizer. There's enough room left at the end for a 6-cell CP1700 pack, and I have quite a few of those, so the little plastic dividers that come with the organizer are handy for seperating the 10's and the 6's. 3 or 4 of the plastic organizer trays full of batteries go to the field.Total 6 packs of 10-cells per tray, plus a few 6-cell packs in there, total 18 to 24 10-cell packs depending on how many trays I take with me to the field. There's enough room in there also for the various jumper assemblies to fly the 20 and 30 cell planes with multiple packs connected together.I usually charge everything the night before going to the field, re-peaking before flight. The container keeps the packs from shorting (it's plastic of course). With that setup I don't worry as much about charged versus discharged packs during transport and storage.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Feb 26, 2003, 01:02 PM
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
I use a plastic instrument case lined with foam rubber.
Takes everything - 12x3000, 4x320 and more.
Does get a little heavy when full.

Only problem I ever had was once when I threw the packs into the case and slammed the lid due to an unexpcted cloud burst.
Got home and "Sniff! What's burning?!"
One of the Zagi packs had shorted internally (tab touched adjacent cell). Cooked it good.
Bernard "Crash" Siegel
bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net
Old Feb 26, 2003, 01:14 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
I usually only fly one, maybe two planes at once. I use a soft-sided 35mm SLR camera bag with modular dividers. It's big enough to fit a TX along one side, where a divider holds it upright without interfering with the sticks. I do have to unscrew the antenna, however.

A PF-12 charger sits on the other side in a similar manner, and batteries & props go into various pockets/dividers in between. I keep tools, TX charger, charge adapters, and other small parts in external pockets. The shell is a durable coarse water resistant nylon, so it can handle some abuse.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Feb 26, 2003, 02:10 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Greeneville, TN USA
Joined Mar 2000
652 Posts
Good ideas here, everyone!

I really like the toolbox idea, and this is along the lines I was thinking of. I may head to Lowes tonight and see what they've got in stock. Don't ya just love shopping at Lowes?

The coat and cooler ideas are great ideas for winter flying. But with spring coming up fast I'd like to have a good year-round solution.

I'll let you all know if I find a cool way to do this...
Old Feb 26, 2003, 02:16 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Greeneville, TN USA
Joined Mar 2000
652 Posts
I had typed my last post earlier, and had to run a service call before I finished. I came back, finished the post and just realized there were other replies in here.

I LOVE the camera bag idea. I'm definately going to look into that route as well.