SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:34 PM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2008
91 Posts
Discussion
Park Zone F4U Corsair

Well I finally got the guts to fly my F4U for the first time today.

Started with a Vapor

Then a SkyFly2

The Corsair flew very nice for my first aileron airplane. Takeoff only took a few feet.

Cruising at half throttle was very stable and the turns and climbs were very nice. I was using the low rate control setting for now.

Landing on grass is a little tricky as the airplane likes to nose over.

The first landing it flipped over.
The second and third landings were better and did not result in anything more than standing vertically on the prop without going all the way over.

All in all it was a nice upgrade from the wimpy powerless skyfly2.

For a first aileron plane It is not that bad. Just be gentle on the controls as you can end up upside down if you over control.
burntire is offline Find More Posts by burntire
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:09 PM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
Congrats on the good flight , hope you have many , many more.
Happy Flights & Soft Landings Always
Jerry
Sayers1 is offline Find More Posts by Sayers1
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:15 PM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2008
91 Posts
Thanks
3 flights today and I didn't break anything. I am happy. LOL
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:23 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
Nice effort m8, its not the ideal aileron trainer, but from what I hear its quite stable for a low wing. Good flying champ, have one of these on my christmas list!
Mattvr1ck is offline Find More Posts by Mattvr1ck
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:30 PM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2008
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattvr1ck
Nice effort m8, its not the ideal aileron trainer, but from what I hear its quite stable for a low wing. Good flying champ, have one of these on my christmas list!
Its very stable at half throttle. When I cracked the throttle wide open a few times I could see how a Newbie can get into trouble quickly.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:38 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
Depending what your trying to achieve, I think most flying should be done around half throttle anyway and really only use full throttle when your doing loops, rolls and aerobatics. Best thing about planes, is once their up, it doesnt take much power to keep them up. Plus you get longer flights
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:42 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Thanks for the report, burntire I've seen one at LHS and it is a really cool looking warbird. Hoping for one for Xmas. Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Nov 20, 2008, 07:58 PM
Larry
Lakewood Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
51 Posts
Burntire you have picked one fine war bird to fly great looks and flys great it will nose over on most grass landings a lot of guys have put 2 1/2 inch wheels on there birds and it does seem to help on landing will very few nose overs have a great time with your Corsair I know that I have had a ball with this one and check out the threads on the Cosair on war birds some good info over there.
Larry D is offline Find More Posts by Larry D
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:12 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
Dont know why manufacturers dont make their birds with bigger wheels from the factory. I think the majority of fliers fly off grass as opposed to tarmac.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:42 PM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2008
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry D
Burntire you have picked one fine war bird to fly great looks and flys great it will nose over on most grass landings a lot of guys have put 2 1/2 inch wheels on there birds and it does seem to help on landing will very few nose overs have a great time with your Corsair I know that I have had a ball with this one and check out the threads on the Cosair on war birds some good info over there.
I will have to look into some bigger wheels.

Flew it twice today with 2 nose overs, but it doesn't hurt anything except my ego is someone is watching. LOL
Old Nov 30, 2008, 04:52 PM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2008
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntire
I will have to look into some bigger wheels.

Flew it twice today with 2 nose overs, but it doesn't hurt anything except my ego is someone is watching. LOL
I give up on the landing gear. The bigger wheels didn't help in the grass and I am concerned about the longevity of the tail every time it does a nose over.

I removed the gear and installed the included skid plates for belly landings.

Now it is a nice gentle landing on the grass.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 09:05 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
For those who have flown both, which is easier to see in the sky, the Corsair or the T-28 color scheme?
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Dec 01, 2008, 11:06 PM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2008
91 Posts
The Corsair is hard to see at times.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 11:12 PM
Joined Nov 2008
378 Posts
when i'm flying the Corsair, i have to continuously keep my mind updated as to what the orientation of the plane is... if i don't, it is very easy to loose track of the plane's heading and attitude just by going with sight... the plane is especially harder to see when there are trees in the background such as when landing...

i downloaded the Parkzone Corsair for the Aerofly Deluxe Pro and i think the visuals on that simulator for the plane is what you can expect in real life...
flipteg is offline Find More Posts by flipteg
Old Dec 02, 2008, 04:51 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
I dont find it hard to see when there is good light. Late afternoon it becomes very hard to see its orientation. I just try and look out for light and dark blue. I think as you gain experience with this plane it becomes easier to recognise its orientation. You get used to what signs to look for. When I first started flying it, I had real trouble seeing where it was going