SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:14 AM
Boulder Municipal, Colorado, United States
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
Help!
small to large plane wing loading help

I am looking for a graph that discusses wing loadings for an airplane size and was posted some time ago, (read years) It discusses wing loading based on the size of the model.
For example: a 24" cessna will have a lighter wing loading than a 60" cessna, which in turn has a lighter loading than a full size cessna, creating a non-linear graph.

Can anyone point me to the graph?

Thanks

Jim
iflyelectric is offline Find More Posts by iflyelectric
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2008, 01:56 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,759 Posts
I quick search of thread titles with 'wing loading' in them came up with 203 threads, going back to 2001.

Advanced Search is quite powerful, but it does need some specific word(s) to narrow the search, (otherwise you can end up with too many finds).
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 19, 2008, 03:14 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyelectric
I am looking for a graph that discusses wing loadings for an airplane size and was posted some time ago, (read years) It discusses wing loading based on the size of the model.
For example: a 24" cessna will have a lighter wing loading than a 60" cessna, which in turn has a lighter loading than a full size cessna, creating a non-linear graph.

Can anyone point me to the graph?

Thanks

Jim
Use WVL (wing volume loading) instead of wing loading. WVL is definded as Weight of plane in ounces divided by (wing area in square feet raised to the 1.5 power). A value of 7 or less will be a real floater and if the number is 11 or higher the performance approaches that of a lead sled. This will work for just about any size model from penny weights to the giant scale jobs.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney