Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 18, 2008, 09:40 PM
Athens, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,664 Posts
Discussion
Value Hobby GForce Lipos and Hobby City Lipos

I have just completed my first very informal but interesting lipo tests. Because I am tired of getting ripped every time I purchase lipos and because of some other things that have happened to me because of poor business practices from certain sellers of lipos I am now buying the "value type" lipos. Since I keep my hangar at 40 models counting just electric powered planes and 3 electric heli's my lipo expenditures have been enormous. That has all changed. Because of info I have garnered from various RCGroup threads I have gained the confidence to buy "CHEAP"! My first 3 packs arrived today from Value Hobby. Freight for all 3 was 3.99 total and all 3 packs consisting of a 20C 1300, 1800, and a 2250 was less than 75.00 delivered. One pack used to cost me that much! Now the good news. In static tests testing against some of the biggest names in the lipo industry comparing apples to apples as best I could as to weight, size, voltage draw down, amps, and watts using an Astro Watt Meter and an Eflite watt meter the GForce packs either matched or totally blew away the "names"!!!!! Remember that the Gforce packs were 20C. Some of the "names" were supposed to be 25-30C. Because I fly at least once a week and because I usually take about 8 models to the field if I get 50 cycles from these packs I will be flying for 2 years or so until I may start to get pack failure. If I get more cycles so much the better. I have had packs fail just because of expired shelf life with way fewer than 50 cycles on them. I finally think that the often times promised "lower priced lipo packs" are finally beginning to hit the market place! I have other "value type" packs on the way and will test them also. Time will tell but now not only gas prices are coming down and electric flight continues to get better and better!
ekotil is offline Find More Posts by ekotil
Last edited by ekotil; Nov 24, 2008 at 02:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2008, 04:18 PM
what the...
Joined May 2007
261 Posts
Keep us updated on the lifespan of these packs! How do you feel about the cheap lipos at HC?
minitelemaster is offline Find More Posts by minitelemaster
Old Nov 21, 2008, 04:42 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,631 Posts
There have been LiPolys that looked great for a limited amount of cycles for a number of years. In very general terms the value packs have improved in quality over the years as have the better quality packs. The fact that it often takes 50 or more cycles to get a real idea of a packs life expendency is both a good and bad thing IMO.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=12

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 21, 2008, 04:45 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Sell some of that hanger you got, then you will need less lipos and have the extra boot to buy more lipos.

I'm interested also in the results from the Gforce packs.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:03 AM
Joined Jul 2004
1,664 Posts
Hc

Quote:
Originally Posted by minitelemaster
Keep us updated on the lifespan of these packs! How do you feel about the cheap lipos at HC?
I just got my Zippy-Rhino packs. It took 11 days. I have a 1550 Rhino, a 2200 Zippy, and a 3500 Zippy H. All are 3 cells. All checked out and are charged and I will begin to test them weather allowing. Regardless of how all these cells perform in the long run, low prices seem to be here to stay. If I get 50 cycles I will be satisfied. Lower pricing is what electric R/C has needed for the past 4 years or so. I am excited to be able to buy "CHEAP"!!!!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:06 AM
Joined Jul 2004
1,664 Posts
Hangar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdoramike
Sell some of that hanger you got, then you will need less lipos and have the extra boot to buy more lipos.

I'm interested also in the results from the Gforce packs.
I am retiring soon and know I will be short on money so I needed to get it large while I could!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:48 PM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
I've beaten the heck out of my G-Force 3s1p lipos, I bought 5 of them in the early Spring from ValueHobby and I've been brutal to them and the 3 survivors are still cranking. 2 we're lost to wrecks, the other three are in the 45+ cycle range and still doing very well. I've even used them on setups where they shouldn't have done as well as they did, REALLY pushing them and they did great; and I might add they beat out some other more expensive lipos side by side in this equation. I would HIGHLY recommend them...

I've also had really good luck with the better quality Zippy's, if you go with the really lower end units you're running a bit of a risk (though I've had a few of them hold up too) but the middle to top of the line units have been near bullet proof. I had one 3300 3s1p pack take a 105 amp surge before it puffed (a motor failed in flight with an EagleTree on the system), and that pack could still be used in theory as the puffing isn't that bad (but it's retired for safeties sake).

Good luck and Happy Flying!
Drew816 is offline Find More Posts by Drew816
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:15 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew816
I've beaten the heck out of my G-Force 3s1p lipos, I bought 5 of them in the early Spring from ValueHobby and I've been brutal to them and the 3 survivors are still cranking. 2 we're lost to wrecks, the other three are in the 45+ cycle range and still doing very well. I've even used them on setups where they shouldn't have done as well as they did, REALLY pushing them and they did great; and I might add they beat out some other more expensive lipos side by side in this equation. I would HIGHLY recommend them...

I've also had really good luck with the better quality Zippy's, if you go with the really lower end units you're running a bit of a risk (though I've had a few of them hold up too) but the middle to top of the line units have been near bullet proof. I had one 3300 3s1p pack take a 105 amp surge before it puffed (a motor failed in flight with an EagleTree on the system), and that pack could still be used in theory as the puffing isn't that bad (but it's retired for safeties sake).

Good luck and Happy Flying!
Cool, glad to hear it! I did the first preliminary tests to the low end Zippy 3 cell 2200 and it beat or near equaled all the "names" on a Hacker A30. The Rhino 3 cell 1550 annihilated a 1600 and a 1500 "name" on an AXI. I may actually be able to afford and enjoy buying lipo's. Time will tell and I will keep posting results.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 01:49 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Ekotil, are you still happy with the Gforce and Rhino packs?
Would you buy them again? How hard are you pushing them, 10C, 15C, more?

Anyone else that has been using them, please chime in too.

The Toledo show is fast approaching!

Thanks,

Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:48 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
I'm in the same bout as Ekotil with over 40 flying. The only problem with the Gforce is the ones I need are not in stock this is true with the Rhino packs also. So I just put in a order with toysonics.com for some Loong Max packs so far so good.
Stay away from packs on eBay sold by cyberport888 look here on RCG for places to buy and good luck.

JD
J.Douglas is offline Find More Posts by J.Douglas
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:57 PM
Alabaster AL
Joined Aug 2006
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Douglas
I'm in the same bout as Ekotil with over 40 flying. The only problem with the Gforce is the ones I need are not in stock this is true with the Rhino packs also. So I just put in a order with toysonics.com for some Loong Max packs so far so good.
Stay away from packs on eBay sold by cyberport888 look here on RCG for places to buy and good luck.

JD
Ditto on the LoongMax/GeForce packs. As stated VH has been out of some popular sizes so I ordered 10 from Toysonic Monday night and had them Thursday, even with the higher shipping my net cost was lower so TS is my new source right now. I have dozens of flights on the 1300 and 1000 3S packs and so far so good. I basically push about 20A'd through mine so not running the 1300's too hard and they are still holding up well.

RCNXS
rcnxs is offline Find More Posts by rcnxs
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:36 AM
Spring Hill, TN
Joined Nov 2005
92 Posts
can you charge Gforce more than 1C?
Manny5150 is offline Find More Posts by Manny5150