SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2008, 04:42 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Discussion
Hobby City Really Bad Support

They may be cheap , but dont try to get anything under warrenty , you have to return it AT YOUR OWN EXPENCE REGISTERED mail
It took me over SIX MONTHS to get a credit for faulty speedy's
The rules are
dont buy anything thats not in stock
dont buy anything thats new , wait to see if its any good , read the review under the item
dont buy the cheaper lipo's
you might have some more 'Rules' to add like these

Heres a link to their "support" forum and the trouble Im having trying to get a replacement crankshaft

http://myhobbycity.com/showthread.php?t=3892
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:18 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Don't forget you're getting the items they sell for 1/4 what you would pay a "reputable" vendor.
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

PS, you didn't post any video or any pictures. They sound willing to replace it but would like to send it with another shipment. Why is that so wrong?
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:28 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Well ...Happy.........Not...do you have shares in H/C...AND you didnt read the posts there PROPERLY , cause I did post a link to a vid of the bent crank....have another read..
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:42 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Ooops, you're right, you did post a video 3 weeks later.

I do not own stock in the company...although if they were publicly traded, I think I would.

$48 for shipping? That seems pretty absurd.

I wouldn't get too worked up about akmiit getting back to you...who knows, he might be "sick!"
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:54 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Yeah just like **** ................some other people

The whole purpose of this post is to warn others about the pitfalls with Hobby City
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:56 PM
Lou
Well, that should buff out.
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,776 Posts
You get what you pay for. When one buys direct from an Asian vendor and saves big money they have little to be complaining about.

Had you bought from your local hobby shop or a inet vendor native to Australia you would have paid quite a bit more ... but in return you would quite likely had very good warranty options.

Your predictament is unfortunante but it is also self induced. Hobby King, Hobby City and any of their other entities will be around for as long as they offer dirt cheap components to folks willing to take the chance.

It is hit or miss with them. Some folks love them and some folks have your experience.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:00 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Please tell me how....quote..."Your predictament is unfortunante but it is also self induced."
Old Nov 18, 2008, 09:49 PM
Lou
Well, that should buff out.
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,776 Posts
Do a search here for Hobby City and Hobby King. It is a love - hate relationship folks have with them. Low priced products with a quality standard that runs the gamut. That ESC may fail right out of the box, may last 2 days or may last 2 months. Luck of the draw.

It was self induced in the sense that you bought inexpensive gear from a vendor that has quality control issues. You bought from an overseas Asian outfit that will require you to mail back to them, that A$15 ESC to get warranty work. The cost of shipping will be how much? That is one of the reasons that when you get something from them, and it fails, you just suck it up and trash the part. Easier to buy a new one than it is to do the warranty dance.

No offense to you is intended. This is one of those situations that you just trash the part and move on.

Regardless of the published complaints about them, they will continue to do a thriving business because they offer an inexpensive alternative to the high priced electronics that are also available.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:11 AM
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
1,029 Posts
I follow the understanding that the words Customer Support do not translate to the Chinese language.
My son is becoming very proficient in Chinese. I don't expect to get anywhere but they will understand the emails that he dictates for me.

I also buy from them with the thought that I'm paying for disposal items. Items break they get tossed, end of story. The emails are going to be fun though. Kind of a personal satisfaction thing. I'll probably get my account canceled eventually but that's OK, there's a boat/Junk load of sellers over there.

Regards,
Xwing
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut