Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:00 PM
Bob's Hobby Center
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Dec 2007
63 Posts
Build Log
Aeolus 50 3D Heli from AHF

http://www.hiflier-tech.com/

Alright...here we go! Lets build the Aeolus 50 3D.

Main Rotors: 600mm
Tail Rotors: 95mm
Motor: .50 class 2 stroke
Swash Type: 120 degree e-CCPM
Collective Stroke: 13 degrees positive and negative
Flying Weight: 6.6-7.0 lbs
Fuel Tank: 420cc
Bearings: 52 high precision bearings
Gear Ratio: 8.5 : 1 : 4.5

Opening the box:

At first glance the box is very eye-catching. Inside everything is very nicely organized in bags lettered with the step contained inside. The canopy is well painted and very sleek looking. A quick look in each bag shows that this kit is well broken down. If you only open the bag for the step you are on, you wont have extra parts laying around and everything will make sense.

They give you 2... yes 2... ball link end wrenches. No more breaking ball links with pliers or sore fingers. Thank You to AHF for providing these cool little tools.
BOBSHELIGUY is offline Find More Posts by BOBSHELIGUY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:05 PM
Bob's Hobby Center
Joined Dec 2007
63 Posts
Step A Engine, Clutch and Cooling fan

Step A Engine, Clutch and Cooling fan
The engine mount is a totally modular block that will drop out the bottom of the heli after final assembly. The fan and clutch resemble a t-rex 600 just with a collar lock instead of a threaded fan. The entire clutch and starting shaft system is factory assembled. Always nice since we all know that clutch liners are just a big pain in the rear end. A really cool feature is the governor magnet will be mounted in the clutch bell. You can actually mount this AFTER assembly. The speed sensor will mount on another cool location that I will explain in outfitting later. I do not have the power system yet but I will cover mounting in the outfitting section to follow soon.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:08 PM
Bob's Hobby Center
Joined Dec 2007
63 Posts
Step B Fuel Tank

Step B Fuel Tank
The fuel tank is a very geometric structure. It resembles one of those multi sided dice.(more than 6 sides) The corners are tapered to assist in the clunk passing around the tank easily. Very nice feature if you spend a lot of time inverted. (Which I definitely do) The clunk itself worried me a little since there was no groove in the tip. I feel it may stick because of vacuum so I dremmelled a small vent along the tip.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:12 PM
Bob's Hobby Center
Joined Dec 2007
63 Posts
Step C Main Frame Assembly

Step C Main Frame Assembly
This step is a little vague in the manual. If you have ever assembled a heli before...even a 450 size...you will have no problem at all. The manual just shows an oblique exploded view with all the parts in between. I think maybe even one more step would really help the intermediate builders. But, this is NOT a beginner heli this is a pure 3D monster design so this should not be an issue. On the actual frame everything fits in great. The bearings for the elevator lever are such tight tolerance that you have to align them perfectly. I really appreciate that. Nothing bothers me more that a tight heli head and loose mechanics to the servos. None of that here. Nice metal frame bracer and metal canopy mounts that double as frame support. The bearing blocks line up easily. But again if you haven't built a heli before you may make the mistake of not checking all three bearing blocks to see that one is smaller for the base of the main shaft. It is not easily noted in the manual. But you will figure it out trying to get the main shaft in.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:15 PM
Bob's Hobby Center
Joined Dec 2007
63 Posts
Step D Skids

Step D Skids
The landing skids are next. At this point you really get to see how narrow the frame actually is. It is only about 1.5 inches wide. The skids are slotted with metal braces to accommodate the frames. Putting them on adds a great deal of rigidity to the frames. Nice laser etched black aluminum tubes finish out the gear assembly. You now have module 2 of the 5 module heli system done. Now you start to see a helicopter!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:19 PM
Bob's Hobby Center
Joined Dec 2007
63 Posts
Step E Tail drive system

Step E Tail drive system
Here were getting to the actual mechanics. This is a standard belt drive with gear reduction at the main gear. Aluminum pulleys at both ends show no skimping for cheap plastic where it counts. The tail box is plastic but is full of strengthening ridges and supports molded in. Again, the tail shaft bearings are zero tolerance fit. Awesome! Pitch slider and blade grips resemble a t-rex 600 which leads be to believe there will be great tail performance. A nice touch is an included carbon push rod. The push rod guides actually snap over the boom and do not have to take the boom out to be put on. This is something I usually forget the first time and I did again, but I was happily surprised to find that they snap over and have screws that lock them down. The transfer case that rides on the main gears is also plastic but very rigid. One thing I found excellent and very reassuring for hard flying is the belt tension. Even with the tail boom all the way forward the belt will not slip without a great deal of force. Bring on the piro- flips. Nice carbon tail supports have polished aluminum standoffs that add a shiny touch. There is a metal tail support bracket that wraps the boom and mounts the horizontal fin.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:22 PM
Bob's Hobby Center
Joined Dec 2007
63 Posts
Step F Head unit

Step F Head unit
The head unit is based on that of a t-rex 600. Almost identical from what I can see next to my 600. Ii will try to interchange parts in the near future and let you know. This kit comes with a metal haed block and metal swash plate. All other head parts are plastic but built very well. The head goes together easily. The only thing that may confuse some is on the see saw assembly. There are the 2 holes, one used foe stable flight and the other used for nimble flight. Nothing was noted about this and could be an easy mistake if one side was in one hole and other side in a different hole. A little common sense tells you to put things in the same place on both sides. Anyway, inside hole is for nimble flight. They provide you with 3 different hardness dampner sets. Nothing is noted about what color is what hardness but when I see white yellow and red ill kind of assume that red would be harder. The squeeze test proved my point. Red dampners are for all out 3D. The head slides right through the bearing blocks and seats nice and tight in the main gears. Tight tolerances once again.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:33 PM
Bob's Hobby Center
Joined Dec 2007
63 Posts
Step G Front End

Step G Front End
The front end system on this heli is like something I havent seen before at this level of creativity. You've heard the old saying A place for everything and everything in its place. We with this heli nothing is more true. Gyro, battery, receiver, governor, governor sensor, gyro amp, regulator, switch, and servos...all have there own little space up front on a module that can be easily removed. I've never seen a 50 size heli that could be put back in the box for travel but this one is pretty darn close. Take the modules off the front and back and you have a travel heli. I dont have all the electronics yet but when I do I will showcase exactly what I mean with the neat fit of everything. Look for the outfitting steps coming as soon as everything comes in.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:39 PM
Bob's Hobby Center
Joined Dec 2007
63 Posts
Thats all for now

For right now Im waiting on all the equipment to outfit this awesome new bird. I am excited to go and burn up some sky (and cut down some grass).

Here are a few more pictures with the canopy on. Just look at how freakin skinny this heli is. It is gonna be a total rocket in fast forward and backward flight. Super sleek!

Keep an eye out for the outfitting section.....coming soon!

-Brian
Old Dec 09, 2008, 01:26 PM
United States, NJ, Brick
Joined Jul 2005
126 Posts
how did you obtain this model?
darkfa8 is offline Find More Posts by darkfa8
Old Dec 13, 2008, 04:32 PM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2,151 Posts
I am am working with cloud 9 servises. The Owner is helping the company with importing and I will be test flying down here in florida when i get the rest of the parts.
hawaiianspork226 is offline Find More Posts by hawaiianspork226
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:22 PM
United States, NJ, Brick
Joined Jul 2005
126 Posts
can this model be purchased by a consumer either here in the USA or via a foreign company?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 09:00 AM
United States, NJ, Brick
Joined Jul 2005
126 Posts
Cloud 9 Services is a underground service company in Orlando?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:33 PM
plank n shankbone pilot
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
Here is Justin's test flight.

6 Year Old Justin Jee - Aeolus50 3D - New Heli Test Flying - Jan 18, 2009 (7 min 37 sec)
red_z06 is offline Find More Posts by red_z06
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:46 PM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Too cool! Both in temperature and flying ability! Does Justin like the heli?
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver