HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2003, 08:31 AM
Navarre,Fl
Joined Dec 2001
146 Posts
ICARE DG-600 4-4.8 meter

I would like feed back on this particular sailplane. Icare is showing a DG 600 4 - 4.8 meter, anyone have one and your thoughts on it.

Thank You in advance,

Steve
rojos is offline Find More Posts by rojos
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2003, 12:07 PM
Zürich
Joined Feb 2003
166 Posts
DG 600

Hallo Steve

I read the report of a satisfied customer, which will find here
http://www.lenger.de/cgi-bin/neu_web...495_7458#Ziel1
with a few nice photos included.

Regards

Daniel
Daniel Gut is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Gut
Old Mar 03, 2003, 04:22 PM
Only Scale tastes nice!
Joined Sep 2002
550 Posts
That is one very good looking bird, It doesnt seem that Icare have that on their web site just yet. I was just curious on the price of it.

Scale doesn't seem to have the numbers here in Auz, i'm flying normal RES machines up to 3M at present. From your point of view is there much of a skill difference in flying scale compared to RES?
This is one area of model sailplanes i would like to experience.

cheers
portfoxdesign is offline Find More Posts by portfoxdesign
Old Mar 03, 2003, 04:27 PM
Only Scale tastes nice!
Joined Sep 2002
550 Posts
That is one very good looking bird, It doesnt seem that Icare have that on their web site just yet. I was just curious on the price of it.

Scale doesn't seem to have the numbers here in Auz, i'm flying normal RES machines up to 3M at present. From your point of view is there much of a skill difference in flying scale compared to RES?
This is one area of model sailplanes i would like to experience.

cheers
Old Mar 04, 2003, 01:54 AM
Zürich
Joined Feb 2003
166 Posts
I am not quite sure what RES stands for, but looking at the design of the models and their wing profiles, they are absolute floaters that can waft around at walking pace. With a scale model like the DG you are firstly dealing with approximately triple the wing loading of your res model and that effectively means that it needs to fly much faster and dynamically the way the 1.1 fly. Fly one of those on the slow side and then try to push it around a corner with the ruder and your spin training will have commenced. There are a few kits around that make a great step into scale flying, what size of model interests you?

Regards

Daniel
Daniel Gut is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Gut
Old Mar 04, 2003, 08:42 AM
Navarre,Fl
Joined Dec 2001
146 Posts
Daniel,

Thank you for the link.

Steve
rojos is offline Find More Posts by rojos
Old Mar 04, 2003, 11:29 AM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Daniel, RES stands for Rudder - Elevator - Spoiler.

And yes, you are right, they are usually floaters with polydihedral wings.

Michael
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Old Mar 04, 2003, 01:24 PM
Scale Nerd!
Ireland
Joined Jul 2002
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by portfoxdesign
From your point of view is there much of a skill difference in flying scale compared to RES?
As already said, it depends on the model. A scale model of something like a Slingsby T-31 will be pretty docile. A more refined "wooden" glider like a K8 will be pretty quick but still reasonably well-mannered.

A modern "all-glass" type will be VERY different to your RES soarer. They're very fast, thanks to being so clean aerodynamically. A big scale model will accelerate like a freight train going downhill once you put the nose down. It has a lot of energy, so landing well becomes a lot more important.

If you're a confident aileron flyer, you should be ok. If you've ONLY flown RES, might be an idea to go for a tamer aileron ship first to get used to ailerons.
Wight is offline Find More Posts by Wight
Old Mar 04, 2003, 05:15 PM
Only Scale tastes nice!
Joined Sep 2002
550 Posts
Thanks for your reply, at this stage i'm looking at a southern sailplane product called the eclipse. Although this is not a scale ship i think its a good go between to wet my feet in the scale flying.
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~learmont/Eclipse.html

I do like the look of the DG's, the 1000 looks really nice, but like you said its a progression thing.

Cheers
Old Mar 05, 2003, 06:28 PM
Scale Nerd!
Ireland
Joined Jul 2002
234 Posts
Eclipse looks nice...

When I decided to fly big stuff, I obtained a 3metre F3J type foam/glass/veneer wing/carbon spar model very cheaply and learned to fly a 4 control surface wing with that. Left me VERY comfortable stepping up to 4m stuff.

If you can get a "3 metreish" aileron/flap model that is reasonably cheap and quick to build, you don't feel so "precious" about it. Thus you fly it a lot, get used to "bigger" models, and fly them all the time. As a result of all this, my "regular" Saturday afternoon model at the minute is a Multiplex Alpina (4m).

There's some guys on our slope who will only fly big models if the weather is perfect, which in Ireland means they might fly them once or twice a year! Thus they're very uncomfortable when they DO fly it, as they've no real practice.

If I were you, I'd fly the pants off the eclipse, then go get something REALLY nice in scale. You'll then find it very comfortable flying it. (Downside is your small gliders seem very "twitchy" afterwards!)
Old Mar 05, 2003, 06:43 PM
Only Scale tastes nice!
Joined Sep 2002
550 Posts
Wight
Thanks for the advice. I always like getting advice from guys who have been flying scale for a while.
The eclipse is able to use flaps, aileron and spoiler which will make it a treat to fly and also land.
I've seen a few Alpina's around, very nice aircraft. Multiplex produce some nice gliders.
At the moment i'm using a 7 channel multiplex europa sprint TX, its a little on the old side but doesnt have all the modern electronic mixing.
If possible you will have to post some pictures of your aircraft.

Thanks Again

Portfox
Old Mar 05, 2003, 07:18 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Quote:
As a result of all this, my "regular" Saturday afternoon model at the minute is a Multiplex Alpina (4m).
I can relate to that ! Especially since I installed an electric drive in the Alpina, and launching it, now is just a matter of throwing it !
The Alpina is a really nice sailplane !

And when the conditions get too weak for the Alpina, I switch to my Cumulus e.

But still, my most prized posession is my Multiplex ASH26, but since it requires aerotow, I don't get to fly it that often, unfortunately......

Michael
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Old Mar 06, 2003, 01:34 PM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
If you want something that will handle like a poly ship, try a Minimoa. My 4m model handles like an OlyII on half throws http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...&postid=815000

Scale is great, but beware of the large models from a logistics standpoint. The big ones can be dicey to winch if your field isn't long enough, and it can be an interesting challenge to get someone to launch a big model for you on the slope. ("Excuse me sir, would you mind hurling this 15 lb airplane off the side of the cliff for me please? Yes, it was rather expensive, why?") We have one gent in our club that hand launches his own 6m Dg-600, but he's nuts
SoarNeck is offline Find More Posts by SoarNeck
Old Mar 06, 2003, 03:37 PM
Scale Nerd!
Ireland
Joined Jul 2002
234 Posts
SoarNeck: I launch my own Alpina all the time without any difficulty. Granted, I have some advantage being left-handed and flying with primary controls on the right stick. However, once the model is trimmed, I find a big model quite easy to launch, given the inherent stability....

I wouldn't DREAM of self-launching first flight of course! Need to get everything sorted first....
Old Mar 09, 2003, 10:48 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
Quote:
Granted, I have some advantage being left-handed and flying with primary controls on the right stick.
--Isnt it great?!

I have been drooling over the Icare 2.7-3.2m for a while now. I am hesitant because I dont have a winch, only a 2M sized high-start. I dont have room for a full sized high-start at my field, so I built this one to fit it. I'm not sure it would be up to hefting a 60Oz plane too well.

Anyone know of some good heavy duty latex or bungee that would launch this one without trouble?
Far4nugn is offline Find More Posts by Far4nugn