Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:59 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Discussion
Whizins Hill / The Indian

The hill is located in Agoura, CA. Take the 101 freeway and Exit Cheeseboro Road or Kanan Road. You can't miss the ridge as it is next to the 101 freeway.

The best wind sensor is here

Hike up the back or up the watertank. Bring a fast plane when it's blowing.

It's real good and worth the walk.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Last edited by Aerogance; Jan 14, 2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: changed thread title
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:04 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
thanks aaron, "Whizins hill hugh". When you get some speeds lets add it to rcspeeds.com...

chris
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:08 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
wow aaron nice job on the KMZ, you even used my little DSMAN, very cool

thanks again.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:39 PM
Sayonara
Agoura Hills,CA
Joined Mar 2004
656 Posts
Interesting that you've flown that hill with good results Aaron. I live about 3 minutes away and hiked up there one day on a moderate NNE and found it to be too gentle of a slope to get any real lift? Maybe it wasn't blowing enough? What type of planes have you flown with success up there?

John
JEB21 is offline Find More Posts by JEB21
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:20 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
ok Whizins is on rcspeeds so call me and Ill come radar,

chris
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:26 PM
pushing the envelope
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2005
533 Posts
Is there a road up or do you have to hike up?
rcgroupie is offline Find More Posts by rcgroupie
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:28 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
John,
It takes real wind to enjoy the hill with a heavy plane. Light winds are flyable with a light wind plane but the ds'ing is average for the area. Bring a good plane when it is at least 25 average and the hill smokes. Thankfully, Santa Anas are usually plenty strong enough. Wind direction is crucial in light air.

Aaron
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:32 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
I have been flying by myself up there all season. Yes, you walk up. There are a few trails on the front and back and the climb is quick and easy.

Aaron
Old Nov 18, 2008, 01:34 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,215 Posts
Interesting to hear that it gets that good up there. I've eyed the hill for a long time and had a couple of observations from ground level that led me to fly elsewhere - 1) the slope looks to be no more than 45 degrees, and 2) the Ridgeline is dead straight with a big escape valve to the west where Kanan Road goes into the canyon. It would seem to suggest that it would blow out on bigger winds, and that it's very directionally sensitive (which you mentioned). The hill faces due north as far as I can gather.

But hey, the proof is in the pudding. If you're flying an MCT up there the lift has got to be pretty good. Next time it blows on a weekend I'll meet you up there.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Nov 18, 2008, 01:37 PM
Sayonara
Agoura Hills,CA
Joined Mar 2004
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Interesting to hear that it gets that good up there. I've eyed the hill for a long time and had a couple of observations from ground level that led me to fly elsewhere - 1) the slope looks to be no more than 45 degrees, and 2) the Ridgeline is dead straight with a big escape valve to the west where Kanan Road goes into the canyon. It would seem to suggest that it would blow out on bigger winds, and that it's very directionally sensitive (which you mentioned). The hill faces due north as far as I can gather.

But hey, the proof is in the pudding. If you're flying an MCT up there the lift has got to be pretty good. Next time it blows on a weekend I'll meet you up there.
I'd give it another shot too. Could be good for some Weasel combat! Beers at my place afterwards.
JEB21 is offline Find More Posts by JEB21
Old Dec 09, 2008, 01:03 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Tuesday 12/09/2008

Best forecast of the season for Tues: gusts over 60mph! Gonna check it super early, PM me if you plan to fly. Would be good to get some radar on the hill, it should give Norco a run for the money if the wind fills in as strong as forecast
Old Dec 09, 2008, 08:29 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Just looked at it. It's alreday good and the wind has just begun to fill in. Gonna head up the hill at 8 am. PM if planning to fly. Bring something fast...
Old Dec 09, 2008, 10:09 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Wind clocked east super early on and washed out, contrary to NWS forecast. Weatherman got it wrong, who could ever imagine....
Old Jan 09, 2009, 07:54 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
I will be heading up after lunch today (Friday) if the wind is strong. Send a pm if you can fly this afternoon.
Old Jan 09, 2009, 08:09 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,829 Posts
how was it

hey Aaron (sp?)

I was at a spot above porter ranch with a plane that was WAY too light
after some hiking I couldn't make it over to whizzins. Are you going there again this weekend? I might be able to come out on sunday... let me know.

Gary.

friend of Ray Gross's.. he told me you were going there today
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon