SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2003, 09:56 AM
I fly, therefore I crash
NY
Joined Mar 2002
282 Posts
It is available in the US now. I just spotted it in my LHS and picked it up there. Our B&N usually only carries a few copies that get sold out quickly. I like that they include a "free" plan with their issues, along with a couple of others for purchase -that part is certainly marketed with me in mind.
van-S is offline Find More Posts by van-S
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2003, 04:48 PM
Lapsed Non Modeller
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Hi Guys

I'm back home and I've been busy. I have half completed the wing. It was really tough (I've only really made foam planes before and a couple of stick and tissue Cub lookalikes so I'm learning as I go). So far I've not had any disasters, except I angled the R1 ribs the wrong way and nearly ended up with a Spit with an anhedral wing. Luckily the glue hadn't set up fully and I was able to prise the ribs off the wing and set them correctly. I will have access to a digital camera tommorow so I'll take some shots and let you have a look how I'm going on.

Ever since I got into RC aircraft I've wanted a scale Spit so this is something of a milestone for me.

Regards

Andy
Andycart is offline Find More Posts by Andycart
Old Mar 03, 2003, 03:03 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Vinatge1,

in an earlier post you made reference to a GWS motor that came with the correct spinner for this project (1.5 inches) I thought all the GWS motors came with the small rubber spinner? Have you got a GWS part number for the one you mentioned?

Regards

Andy
Old Mar 03, 2003, 04:35 AM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,440 Posts
IMHO the Spitfire plan included in the first issue of EFI (now Q&EF), designed by Heino Dittmar, was a better plane altogether.

That plan was all sheet balsa, with foam core wings and was very scale without being so much of a "Crunchie".

Flys very well on S400, 8x900mah NiMh cells and a Robbe 6x3.5 folder, or Graupner 6x3 with Radio-Active spinner.

That plan is still available from Quiet and Electric Flight Int. plans service. customerservice@traplet.com

Cheers. Patrick.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Mar 03, 2003, 05:04 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andycart
Vinatge1,

in an earlier post you made reference to a GWS motor that came with the correct spinner for this project (1.5 inches) I thought all the GWS motors came with the small rubber spinner? Have you got a GWS part number for the one you mentioned?

Regards

Andy
This is what I am thinking of - from Nippon Dave at the site mentioned.

I am rapidly coming round to Ralph's opinion that if you are not cranking an sp400 at 10A or so, then the GWS EPS300 range suitably geared and reving like little demons on 7A or so are a lot more efficient.

http://www.aircraft-world.com/prodde...00C-2S&from=13

It looks like the spinner is around 30mm diameter. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Oldpilot: I weas also thinking of making a foam winged spit. Its as easy to sand white foam as 1/4" balsa, and even the rear fuse could be made out of sanded white foam, and blue foam for the front.

Skinned in balsa or brown paper, provided you seal up well, it works well.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Mar 15, 2003, 09:47 PM
1/1 scale engineer.
Zurich Switzerland
Joined Sep 2002
223 Posts
Just started building this one. It will be interesting to compare it to the Flair mini classic free flight kit I converted a couple of months ago. The two kits have the same dimensions but this will weigh quite a lot more. I donít remember my final weight for the flair kit but I had an ips ďAĒ in it to start( dead calm flights only but could loop and roll OK) then a gws ep300c with 8 500ARs ( pylon racer requiring very careful landing technique). Unfortunately it wasnít strong enough for the big pack and died in a blaze of balsa shreds.

I havenít decided on the motor yet. I would like to power it from 2s2p1020 kokams. What would be a good set-up for this? It will need a high prop speed being quite heavy, Iím planning on 12-14 oz AUW but guarantee it will be more. The problem is keeping the current low enough for the cells whilst keeping the pitch speed high.
I think the eps300 is going to be the one but I fancy a mm1215 or mega 16 with a geerbox.

All input welcome
Flight Engineer is offline Find More Posts by Flight Engineer
Old Mar 16, 2003, 04:11 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,023 Posts
www.maxxprod.com has very nice aluminum spinner for E power POLISHED! in 1.5" size....check it out

Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Mar 20, 2003, 12:47 AM
Wadonga Australia
Joined Sep 2002
27 Posts
Just recieved my copy from Traplet today. What a great little plan. I'll certainly build this one! Spitfires look sooo coool in the air.
I plan to put mini gear and a direct drive Astro Flight 010 brushles into her. Any body used this set up for a similar size aircraft?
Dan.
Craggsy is offline Find More Posts by Craggsy
Old Mar 20, 2003, 01:17 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Not me. I think I will have a bash on a GWS powered version if I get time in the summer.

I keyed in the astro on DD in motocalc and it looks like it can really do the plane justice.

What I used was the 16T motor and a 7x5 prop.

Good warbird rate of climb and lots of speed - about 40mph flat out level

Geared 3.3:1 it looks like it isn't really suitable..not quite enough power really. Thats a parkfly setup - bags of thrust and no top speed.

Mini AC1215/20 DD on a 5.5x4.75 is rather nice, but needs 600AES to get the power :-)
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Mar 20, 2003, 09:30 PM
1/1 scale engineer.
Zurich Switzerland
Joined Sep 2002
223 Posts
Almost finished building now.
auw currently 6oz uncoverd without motor and cells.
I have a lightspeed 400 8.4v that withh a graupner 6x3 folder will pull 7amps from my 2s2pkokams so I will give that a go as it fits with my pixie7p esc too.
est RTFW 12oz.
motorcalc seams to think it will fly.
I recon the wing area is about 120 sq in.
Vintage1
Do you have some good figures for the Mini ac 1215/20 to use in motorcalc? I realy like the look of the mini ac motors but I can't find any direct drive figures.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 06:40 AM
1/1 scale engineer.
Zurich Switzerland
Joined Sep 2002
223 Posts
First Flight Today

Just put in the first couple of flights.
My building isn't that good as I needed quite a lot of nose down trim to achieve level flight and a little right trim. Also it's a bit pitch sensitive so I will reduce the rate on the servo arm (better torque than just reducing the rate on the transmitter).
But how does it fly?
Well itís fast for a small model. Smaller then the GWS p51 and about twice the top speed.
Itís a lot better than motorcalc predicts.
Big loops are easy. I managed 3 consecutive tighter loops from level flight into wind. It rolls well and axially to the left but a bit squirrelly to the right. It will stooge around on Ĺ throttle nicely but I didnít let the speed drop off too much. I donít have all the washout the plan has so Iím going to wait a while before stalls are tested.
I kept the speed up with the throttle closed for the landing. The glide is good and flat and I managed 2 smooth landings.
It was a little breezy( 8-12mph) but the penetration was great. This may account for my opinion that it is much faster than the p51 which is very draggy.

As for looks, itís lovely. A small Spitfire always looks great. I havenít painted mine yet but I will soon. Itís covered in solafilm that I will lightly sand before painting.

Equipment:-
1x hs50 -ailerons
1x Sirius -54 Elevator
Webra Pico s5 rx (7grams, short aerial, no glitches, full range. The best lmicro rx Iíve used)
CC pixie 7p esc
2s2p kokam 1020
Ripmax lightspeed 400 8.4( itís a Mabuchi 380)
Graupner 6x3 folder

RTF weight 11.5 oz
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:51 AM
I fly, therefore I crash
NY
Joined Mar 2002
282 Posts
F.E.,

That sounds like a great flight report-congratulations on a quick and good build! You were able to keep the weight below what you originally predicted, and it sounds like the plane is nice to fly. Did you make any modifications while you were building or did you put it together just as the plans suggest?
I'd love to see some photos.
van-S is offline Find More Posts by van-S
Old Mar 23, 2003, 04:38 PM
1/1 scale engineer.
Zurich Switzerland
Joined Sep 2002
223 Posts
some pics of my Spit

I'm going to have a couple more flights, one to see just how long I can get out of the lipo pack stooging around and another to test stalls and spin recovery.Then I will finish it properly(although it looks nice in cream) and give it some scale details. I have an astro 10 14t dd on the way so I'm going to build another for that motor and If I can be bothered a third for gws 300 power. Not much work on at the mo

Its pretty but not as pretty as daughter no.2 Charlotte.
Daughter no.1,Emily took the picture she's a cutie too.

Covering around the nose is a bit sloppy. I didn't do a scale root fairing but will next time.

I didn't put the stringers on the empennage cause I was worried about c of g. Will do on the next one.

Receiver is behind the aft cockpit former. The lipo pack has a bit of 1/16 ply with slots cut in for the tabs. An elastic band is wrapped around the crutch brace and the pack to hold it in place.
Last edited by Flight Engineer; Mar 23, 2003 at 04:48 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 04:03 AM
Wadonga Australia
Joined Sep 2002
27 Posts
Looks very nice. I love the look of the Spitfire. Congratulations on a job well done.
Dan Craggs.
Craggsy is offline Find More Posts by Craggsy
Old Mar 24, 2003, 11:28 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
Hi FlightEngineer

Lovely job. You've given me the incentive to finish mine off. I've had the wing and tail built and most of the fuse for a couple of weeks. I need to finish the fuse and do the covering. I've also got the servos and ESC through the post over the weekend so I guess I've no excuses left.

I'm going to go with the recommended 400 with Gunther prop and try it on 8 x 720mAH NiMH cells.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll also have to try and get some picture uploaded. I've got the digital camera setup but I've been really busy.

Andy