SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:03 AM
Joined Oct 2008
32 Posts
Discussion
Servo extensions vs soldering new leads in...

Working on a new airplane tonight, hooking up the aileron extensions and tieing them together with fishing line so they don't come apart and I get to wondering: why not just cut the extension and splice in some wire? It would save the worry about the extension coming apart, and make it easier to run through the wing since the connection would not catch on the ribs while threading it through.

Thoughts?

TIA,

Rook
edf rookie is offline Find More Posts by edf rookie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2008, 01:42 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
I never (well, almost never) use servo extensions. I do not use the extension wire, however, but purchase servo wire, and solder in an extension. Two reasons:

(1) Connectors fail.
(2) I'm cheap.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Nov 17, 2008, 02:28 AM
Joined Oct 2008
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3
I never (well, almost never) use servo extensions. I do not use the extension wire, however, but purchase servo wire, and solder in an extension. Two reasons:

(1) Connectors fail.
(2) I'm cheap.

Bill

Kewl. Count me in for both.

Rook
-When in doubt it's better to ask.
edf rookie is offline Find More Posts by edf rookie
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:31 AM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3

(1) Connectors fail.
(2) I'm cheap.

Bill
The man knows.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:15 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,202 Posts
Only place I use a servo extension is from the receiver to the aileron servo connectors. If I need to extend a servo cable 12" or less, I use a better quality replacement servo lead and cut off the original plug, this way I only have a single splice in the wire, fairly cheap, but less work than splicing in wire with double the splices. Now if they'd just sell servo leads longer than 12", I hate to pay for an extension, then cut off the female plug, OK, I'm cheeeep
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:49 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,296 Posts
I always solder new wire directly on the servo PCB, and crimp on new contacts at the other end.
Here's a german how-to:
http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/art...3-0015-00.html
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:17 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2
Only place I use a servo extension is from the receiver to the aileron servo connectors. If I need to extend a servo cable 12" or less, I use a better quality replacement servo lead and cut off the original plug, this way I only have a single splice in the wire, fairly cheap, but less work than splicing in wire with double the splices. Now if they'd just sell servo leads longer than 12", I hate to pay for an extension, then cut off the female plug, OK, I'm cheeeep
Pete
JR sells em that way-- servo lead, just same as a battery lead .
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:30 AM
Gustatus Similis Pullus
USA, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2007
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
I always solder new wire directly on the servo PCB, and crimp on new contacts at the other end.
Here's a german how-to:
http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/art...3-0015-00.html
Ditto. Right now, I've been getting servo connectors and even wire from hobbycity.com. The connector set (both connectors needed for an extension) is $.40 and wire is about $.95/m. The connector set is actually better quality than the ones sold at my LHS for more than 10x the cost.

Alternately, you can purchase long extensions, cut them to fit, and solder them into the servo. I would not recommend soldering directly into the servos if you do not have some experience with very fine soldering. It is easy to damage the circuitry or bridge the connections if you are not extremely careful.
qmulus is offline Find More Posts by qmulus
Old Nov 17, 2008, 01:30 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,296 Posts
Cool, thanks for the link!
I need to check the small stuff from HC more often.

Quote:
I would not recommend soldering directly into the servos if you do not have some experience with very fine soldering. It is easy to damage the circuitry or bridge the connections if you are not extremely careful.
That's right. I'm glad I like soldering, otherwise, some parts of this hobby would be a nuisance for me.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez