Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:37 PM
Today is a Good Day to Fly!
Singapore
Joined Nov 2003
90 Posts
Question
How long does it take to charge LIPOs?

Hi,

I've got a ZIPPY 3S1P 1000mAh 15C LIPO. After flying, the voltage for each cell drops to about 3.7v and total voltage is around 11.5v.

Using a LIPO charger, with settings for 3S 11.1v and 0.1A rate, it took 2 hours to charge the LIPO and only from 11.5v to 11.9v. I'm going to try charging it again later but I was so sure the previous full charge was at 12.5v range.

Is my LIPO damaged? Or is there a better setting on my charger to take less time to charge my LIPOs?

Thank you.

kammy
kamhw is offline Find More Posts by kamhw
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:54 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Hi, kammy, you're fine

I now have seven 3S lipos from 1320 to 2200 mah and use the Hyperion charger with a display that shows details of everything. I do 10 min timed flights (all my brain can handle at once) and depending on how much WOT, batts come off between 11.1v and 11.6v.

The absolute lower limit of 3S lipos is 9.9v (3.3v per cell), but no need to get that low. If you don't go below around 10.5 to 11v, batts will last fine for at least 100 cycles and still do plenty.

You can safely charge them at 2A, but I'm conservative and do 1.3A and they never get warm. Charger does them to 12.65v full. It usually takes 45min to an hour, maybe less but not sure cause I'm usually busy doing other stuff. They're always ready when the wind cooperates

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:36 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2003
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt
You can safely charge them at 2A, but I'm conservative and do 1.3A and they never get warm. Charger does them to 12.65v full. It usually takes 45min to an hour, maybe less but not sure cause I'm usually busy doing other stuff. They're always ready when the wind cooperates

Icky
Thanks Icky! It looks like I'm way too conservative as I set my charger to 0.1A. I've reset it to 1A and will see how long that will take.

kammy
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:47 AM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamhw
Thanks Icky! It looks like I'm way too conservative as I set my charger to 0.1A. I've reset it to 1A and will see how long that will take.

kammy
1A is actually the recommended recharge rate for a 1000mAh LiPo. The rule for recharging LiPos is to recharge at 1C. So for a 1000mAh LiPo that is 1.0A. For a 1320mAh LiPo, 1C is 1.32A. For a 2200mAh LiPo, 1C is 2.2A.

I did read a Hyperion charger manual and it stated that Hyperion LiPos can be charged at 2C safely. But the manual also recommended against doing this with any other brand of LiPo unless they specifically state that they can be charged at 2C.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Nov 17, 2008, 01:06 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Yes, and normally it takes around an hour to charge a lipo, with enough juice left to power your plane into a landing.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Nov 19, 2008, 08:50 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2003
90 Posts
Thank you

Thank you to all who responded.

I was indeed too conservative to charge my lipos at 0.1A. Switched to 1.0A and it took only 30 minutes to fully charge my 3S1P 1000 mAh batteries.

Freddy, appreciate your input on the 1C rule. I've just bought a 1800 mAh 3S1P battery, so that means I can charge this one at 1.8A. In keeping with my conservative nature I'm charging it for the 1st time at 1.0A. Cheers!

kammy
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:14 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^You would be fine charging it at 1.8 amps. I've charged new lipos at 1C before, and they have been fine since.

But whatever floats your boat
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:53 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,454 Posts
There are several chargers on the market that claim they can charge hi C rate lipos at greater than 1C. The CellPro 4S and the 10S both say that a 15C or higher rate lipo can be charged at 2-3C using their chargers.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:10 PM
Just having fun
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
The charger should have nothing to do with it except for the selection of charge amps available on the particular charger. Any charger with a setting of 2 amps could be used to charge a 1000mAh LiPo at 2C. The question is if the LiPo can handle a 2C or higher charge rate. Charging at 1C is safe for every LiPo out there. Charging at a greater C rate depends on the LiPo. I would rather charge at 1C than to have a LiPo puff up on me.

If I wanted to speed things up I would get a second or third charger to charge multiple LiPo's at the same time. That would be the equivalent of charging 2 or 3 times as fast.

Just my opinion and I am most often conservative.

Freddy
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:16 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson
The charger should have nothing to do with it except for the selection of charge amps available on the particular charger. Any charger with a setting of 2 amps could be used to charge a 1000mAh LiPo at 2C. The question is if the LiPo can handle a 2C or higher charge rate. Charging at 1C is safe for every LiPo out there. Charging at a greater C rate depends on the LiPo. I would rather charge at 1C than to have a LiPo puff up on me.

If I wanted to speed things up I would get a second or third charger to charge multiple LiPo's at the same time. That would be the equivalent of charging 2 or 3 times as fast.

Just my opinion and I am most often conservative.

Freddy
With a balancing charger that monitors and charges each cell individually, the charger can monitor how the pack is charging giving a greater margin of safety when charging at higher C rates.

My Cell Pro is a balancing charger. I would trust it to safely charge at higher than 1C.

My Triton is not a balancing charger. I would not trust it to safely charge at higher C rates.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:36 PM
Just having fun
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
With a balancing charger that monitors and charges each cell individually, the charger can monitor how the pack is charging giving a greater margin of safety when charging at higher C rates.

My Cell Pro is a balancing charger. I would trust it to safely charge at higher than 1C.

My Triton is not a balancing charger. I would not trust it to safely charge at higher C rates.
I'm still not sold on charging above 1C. I trust that you know what your are talking about and you have evidence that it works if you have been doing this for a while without damaging any of your LiPos. But I just have not seen any trustworthy, additional information concerning this for me to change my ways. But, then again, I have not looked either. I have a feeling I might me eating crow if what you say becomes the accepted norm.

I appreciate your input and I will keep my eyes open for confirmation. I would love to charge my LiPo's faster. Heck, sometimes I will go out and do some serious flying and then spend the next 8 hours charging all my LiPo's back up.

Freddy
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:57 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson
But, then again, I have not looked either.
You must have had your eyes shut on this forum for the last 2 years. 15 minute charging for the new Neu batteries.
http://www.neumotors.com/2008/Root/Site/Welcome.html

You really do need a very capable charger to fast charge LiPo though.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:16 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Gotta add I love my Hyperion charger http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/eos/EOS0...dc)-MAN-EN.pdf It will charge anything and has a display that tells you exactly what is going on. It won't let you screw up and tells you when it's done. I can do other stuff in the meantime without worrying, and in the evening it gets all my batts ready to go. Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:31 AM
Just having fun
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage53
You must have had your eyes shut on this forum for the last 2 years. 15 minute charging for the new Neu batteries.

Rick.
Sounds to me like it is time for me to do some research. I have not had my eyes shut but have not read of this before.

Freddy
Old Nov 20, 2008, 07:10 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage53

Rick.
That link may expire over time. It says the Neu 30/60 C lipos can be charged at 5C then goes on for more info.

I have the original CellPro 4S that charges up to 1.4C. This is about the newer version that does up to 3C.

CellPro 4S charger - up to 3C on certain packs
http://www.fmadirect.com/Detail.htm?...218&section=45

FMA’s newest 4 AMP Cellpro 4s Charger is part of a revolutionary new lower-cost Li battery and charge system for R/C aircraft. With included AUTO 3C charge rate of up to 4 amps, the charger brings your Cellpro compatible packs up to charge with unprecedented safety and in record time! No knobs, buttons, or jumpers to set - the cell count cannot be wrong!

4 AMP Cellpro 4s Added Features

* Supports up to 4A maximum charge rate using AUTO charge modes based on Fuel Gauging technology, or custom selectable fixed charge rates ranging from 0.25A to 4A.

* New AUTO charge modes designed from the ground up for safe fast charging. Charger includes 1.0C, 2.0C, and 3.0C AUTO fast charge modes.

CellPro 10S
http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...0s_charger.htm

Up to 10A Max Charge Current
Continuous Power 312W input 250W output at 15V
Displays Individual Cell Internal Resistance to 0.1 mohm Resolution (Battery Quality Indicator, a feature exclusive to the Cellpro 10s charger)
Charges Lithium Polymer or A123 Cells (variable charge rates for both LiPo and A123 cells). Charges 1 Pack of 1s-10s or 2 Packs of 1s-5s Simultaneously

Faster Auto Charge rates (1.0C, 2.0C, and 3.0C), permit safe charging Lipo batteries at up to a 3C charge rate. This is only possible with FMA Direct cell-balancing technology which incorporates integrated, highly-accurate cell monitoring and balancing during charge.
Last edited by aeajr; Nov 20, 2008 at 07:18 AM.