Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 19, 2008, 03:59 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,451 Posts
And the builder of your model added the "Super Sun Deck with the wide lounge seat aft" to your model, which distinguishes it from just about all the other Sterling Catalina models out there. The sun deck was not a part of the original kit and parts to add it to the model were not included in the kit. There was a small picture of a real Catalina with this optional feature on the border of the instruction sheet, and it is not that difficult for an enterprising model builder to add this unique structure to his boat as your builder did.
On real boats, it is described as being made of teak and the picture shows the outside of it painted white, as yours is. If it were me, I would retain the sun deck when you refurbish your model. While I was at it, I would also make the blue cabin top, etc., lighter in color in order to be more authentic.
A build thread on your remodeling effort would be much appreciated here; good luck with it. BTW, CG Bob built a Catalina from a kit for a customer a while back. You might want to have a look at his build thread on the Docktalk forum, back in July, 2005.
Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Last edited by jeepers1940; Nov 19, 2008 at 09:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2008, 07:51 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
There you go 1967250s. A Catalina it is. Nice boat and perfect for R/C. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:21 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,451 Posts
This is a copy of a copy of the picture of the Catalina Sun Deck that is on the border of the main instruction sheet for the Sterling Chris-Craft 50' Catalina model. If you have a Catalina kit, you could, with some creativity, add a sun deck to your model, using some pieces of balsa and a simulated mahogany railing. If you do this, please share a picture of your work with us.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:53 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,824 Posts
I like the looks of the Sun Deck on the Catalina, would make a great modification to the kit- I also have a picture of a late Catalina with the added side pieces (in white on your picture) without the roof over the aft deck... Seems like it would make sitting in the upper deck 'feel' more secure...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 20, 2008, 07:11 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
Aerominded can you post that picture? This is an interesting boat that has received little attention to my knowledge. Maybe we could build a documentation thread here for future reference along with the rebuild of the model. I'd like to ask if anyone knows the years this boat was built and how many were produced? Pete

USA236 I'd like to suggest that you rename this thread to "50' Catalina" or something like that so it will be properly identified for modelers looking for this boat in the future. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll see where there are references to other threads on the 63 but no mention of a Catalina which is the subject here. Will help a lot I would think. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by norgale; Nov 20, 2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:02 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,661 Posts
USA236,

A shame how it worked out for you. I have a potential solution if you really want a 63' motor yacht. A member of our club molds the hull and cabin in fiberglass. I think he is molding the deck in too now. You would have to build out the model yourself. He doesn't make hulls as a business but as a service to the hobby. He charges what he needs to to recoup his costs. If you are interested I can PM you his phone number (he doesn't do e-mail). He does one other Sterling CC. I believe it is the Corvette.

Here is a picture of his 63 on the WSBA website Gallery:

http://wiscaleboat.org/RW%20001cruisersrs.jpg
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:27 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
Aerominded can you post that picture? ...I'd like to ask if anyone knows the years this boat was built and how many were produced? Pete

I have that info... but not at my fingertips... will post later...
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:53 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,568 Posts
The Sterling Models B-7M kit is of the 50' Chris Craft Catalina, which was built in 1951 and 1952. 107 hulls were produced. The picture in the Chris Craft "BIble" shows the white side pieces in the illustration on the model plan. Both the side pieces and flying bridge windshield are white. The photo in the listing does not include the sun deck, nor is the sun deck mentioned in the listing.

This is the Chris Craft that was offered by Revell and shows up routinely on e-bay. What most people who buy the Revell kit must not realize (based on the prices they pay ) is that the Revell model is only about 8" long. As stated in this thread, CG Bob did an excellent retoration thread for this particular Chris Craft built from the Sterling kit.

The 63' motor yacht does seem to get a lot more attention, perhaps due to the apparent greater availability of kits, compared to the Catalina, as does the 42' Corvette, which gets an amazing amount of attention for only one actual full sized boat ever having been built in that configuration.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:06 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,451 Posts
What year would that have been, Pete? Thanks.
Bill
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:32 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,568 Posts
As I said above, the Catalina came out in 1951-1954. The 42' Corvette was built in 1955. It's sisters on the same hull were the 42' 1955 Express Cruisers. 12 hulls were built -- the 1 Corvette and 11 Express Cruisers. The 1955 Chris Craft Catalog also has a 42' Commander that looks almost identical to the Express Cruiser except for a master cabin below the after deck and different treatment of the rear cabin sides. The layout of the forward living spaces is identical to the 42' Express Cruiser.

A 62' Motor Yacht was produced in 1951-52 with 6 hulls produced. It looks almost identical to the 63' Motor Yacht. The now famous 63' Motor Yacht was produced in 1953-1954. Only 3 hulls were built. And they were actually only 62' 7", but I guess the name "63' Motor Yacht" looked better in the brochures. (And it wouldn't be the first time someone exaggerated by a few inches.) Especially since the boat builders were trying to keep up with model year changes like the then-booming car manufacturers were in the 50's with each successive year being bigger and better.

I can't say for sure what years the Sterling and Revell kits discussed above were first released, but I know I had one of the Revell kits in the 50's. It is called a "Flying Bridge Cruiser." They also produced a very similar kit called a "Sport Fisherman" with essentially the same hull and cabin.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Last edited by P_J_Glor; Nov 20, 2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:47 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,451 Posts
I posted a picture of one of those Revell 8" plastic models that had been r/c'd back in the 1950's. Rudder control only I think, but that was a pretty good feat back then, given the rudimentary state of r/c then and the large size of most batteries.

Predreadnut, concerning the Sterling Catalina model, please check your PM's.
Last edited by jeepers1940; Nov 20, 2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 09:54 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale

USA236 I'd like to suggest that you rename this thread to "50' Catalina" or something like that so it will be properly identified for modelers looking for this boat in the future. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll see where there are references to other threads on the 63 but no mention of a Catalina which is the subject here. Will help a lot I would think. Pete
Pete, I think the thread started out with USA236 attempting to purchase a 63'. The thread didn't veer off course until 1967250s posted the photo of his model (no criticism of 1967250s is intended. Seeing his model opened a new and interesting discussion).
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:56 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
Pete G are you saying that only one 42' Corvette was ever built? Did I read that right? 107 Catalina hulls built is pretty good but when you consider that only 6 63' CC's were built it's kind of lopsided how the popularity of the kits came down. Do you suppose any of these boats survive today?
As for the subject of the thread,after USA said he wouldn't be getting the model the thread kinda ended there. The fact that it was picked up again with a Catalina is different but still a Sterling model and a scale boat. However anyone looking for info on the Catalina will not find this thread because of the different header name. So I'd say we need to change the name of the thread to include the Catalina or the catalina should start it's own thread. I think it's already too late to start a new thread on the Catalina. . Pete M
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by norgale; Nov 21, 2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:34 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,824 Posts
Yes, only one 42' Corvette was produced... it was based on the 42' Express of the same time... just a different cabin arrangement... there were many more of the smaller corvettes produced- the 36'er which is also based on the 36' Express/commander (you can kitbash a Dumas Express into a 36' Corvette without much effort.

the only 42' corvette produced is still around and apparently lives in the mid-atlantic (USA) region... Lots of Catalinas are still around- I seem to notice them in the odd corner of marinas more frequently than you would guess...
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:30 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers1940
What year would that have been, Pete? Thanks.
Bill
My guess is that the added structure (side panels) were standard on the late Catalinas... would make riding on that deck a little more 'civilized' than without... Also makes the boat look a little more 'modern' especially since the white paint is trimmed out like a 'flash' or 'fin'... Otherwise, the boat looks a lot like the 1940's C*C Cruiser/Catalinas... updating keeps 'em moving off of the showroom floors!