HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:22 PM
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2008
26 Posts
Discussion
63' Chris-Craft Cruiser by Sterling

Hello,

I am brand new to scale, have a classic Newport 12 and few other small sailboats that I have built, but thats it. I just aquired on e-bay of course a wreck of a model of the 63' CC by Sterling. The hull is intact and sound but needs refinishing and the superstructure is only half there. Meaining one side and the cabin house roof are missing.

I have followed the threads on here for some time, and saw an awesome rebuild of one, but my question to all of you now is where to start, how should I lay out my plan of attack? I have some ideas, I just would like some more seasoned views. I do not plan to finish this winter, but I would like to at least finish the hull to a level that it is operable. Is this unrealistic?
USA 236 is offline Find More Posts by USA 236
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:51 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,687 Posts
Laying out the plan of attack...

Very basically, the first thing you want to do is decide what you want when you are done with the project... A show winner? Something to use that looks nice? This decision will determine later steps... Carefully evaluate the project... what of the existing structure can be made to look nice while also having the strength to do its job... Is the wood dried out? was the ply veneer sanded through in areas that will be finished bright? these are pieces that may need to be replaced in a show boat but they may be 'restored' with penetrating epoxy (works wonders) and finished with paint if used on a daily driver...

Taking lots of pictures and collecting drawings if available are great first steps- When you do start taking things apart (and you will) do so carefully (you will be amazed at how easily these old boats come apart with careful use of an exacto), plan ahead and keep EVERYTHING until the project is complete- you never know what you might need as a template-

Finally, if you see something on the model that was poorly done by the original builder and it can be repaired or replaced by you, do it- it is your boat now... Don't worry about the "history", etc. now is the time to make it right...

Do not underestimate the project- it is often more effort to rebuild something than it is to build new- this comment is not at all meant to discourage you- Just know that it might take longer than expected but the effort will be rewarding!

And... Have fun, start a rebuild thread!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Last edited by Aerominded; Nov 16, 2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:04 AM
Joined Nov 2005
191 Posts
Keep focused, this is the end prize, it'a a beautiful classic when finished.
edmigley51146 is offline Find More Posts by edmigley51146
Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:21 AM
Cortland OH
Joined Dec 2007
736 Posts
edmigley51146,

More photos of your boat, please! Please show the running gear, too.

Ed
A-37 is offline Find More Posts by A-37
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:10 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
That's what I wanted to say too. It helps us a lot to be able to see what your talking about so take many pictures of everthing from every angle and post them here. I have the plans for this model and the instruction booklet that shows all the steps in it's construction to show you how to take it apart. Plans, booklet and patterns shipped in a tube $30. I'll post a link to other 63 footers here in a bit. Pete

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...terling+owners

You have a very special boat there and I am a big fan of Sterling and the 63 footer in particular. Check this site (link) for other owners of this fine model.
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by norgale; May 22, 2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:29 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
USA236 I'm adding your name to the list of 63 owners and you can post your pictures and a link to your rebuild thread right on the owners thread so others can see what your going through. It's important for everybody to see what can be done with the old models so fewer of them will be scrapped.
Also a big welcome to you to this forum. We are all here to help where needed so don't hesitate to ask any questions. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:33 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,022 Posts
Take Norgale up on his offer of the plans and instructions. He has the boat built also. If you look through toys and hobbies/boats and ships on ebay you will find those plans but for a much higher cost. Davesdrydock has a set he calls a Chris Craft but it is not,it is the Atlanta,an old German model.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:32 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
You mean I could get more for the plans? Holy Cow! But that wouldn't be fair after all the help I've received on this forum. Long as I can break even on the deal it's ok by me. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:40 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-37
edmigley51146,

More photos of your boat, please! Please show the running gear, too.

Ed
Ed Go to the link I posted just above this message. Edmigley's boat is there with lots of pictures. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:58 PM
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2008
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
USA236 I'm adding your name to the list of 63 owners and you can post your pictures and a link to your rebuild thread right on the owners thread so others can see what your going through. It's important for everybody to see what can be done with the old models so fewer of them will be scrapped.
Also a big welcome to you to this forum. We are all here to help where needed so don't hesitate to ask any questions. Pete
Please remove my name from the owner list, I am no longer a owner. Facking lady who sold it to me (15 minutes from my house) insisted that she shipped it to me and would not let me pick it up.

I could not see paying money to ship it "down" the street and run the risk of further damage to an already fragile boat.

I never thought to ask her this after all the questions and additional photo's back and forth. She insisted on a money order (does not accept cash) and would not consider a meeting at a neutral setting. Back on the hunt.
USA 236 is offline Find More Posts by USA 236
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:36 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,451 Posts
What a SNAFU. Keep looking for one; they're worth it. Just look at Ed's fantastic example; that's inspiration for all of us - owners and aspiring owners of them.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:44 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Sorry to hear that USA236. Sounds like the lady just doesn't want to part with the model or maybe thinks she can get more for it somewhere else. But hang on and be patient. You may get it yet. I'd like to leave your name on the owners list if it's ok with you. I'll just wait till you get what you want and post a picture before I ad "posted" to it. Ok? Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2008, 03:41 AM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
63er

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
That's what I wanted to say too. It helps us a lot to be able to see what your talking about so take many pictures of everthing from every angle and post them here. I have the plans for this model and the instruction booklet that shows all the steps in it's construction to show you how to take it apart. Plans and booklet shipped in a tube $15,plans only $12. I'll post a link to other 63 footers here in a bit. Pete

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...terling+owners

You have a very special boat there and I am a big fan of Sterling and the 63 footer in particular. Check this site (link) for other owners of this fine model.
Hallo Norgale, I have a 31" Sterling, I think it's the Corvette, would that be correct? It has an awning/ cover going all the way the stern covering the lower deck and the flying bridge is rather larger. I know it needs work but it has to wait for now. Also, I would like to get the plans and booklet for the 63, do you still carry them? Thanks
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Last edited by 1967250s; Nov 19, 2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 07:15 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Yes the plans and instructions are very much avaiable and I sent out a set yesterday to CaptCal out in Sacramento. The Corvette looks like a Covette but a little different somehow. Few pieces missing there but not an impossible job. The hull looks great and the cabin maybe needs a little touching up but it is a nice looking model.
The sailboat looks very nice too. That's one thing I've not gotten into yet but I'm looking at it. I love sailing but "I'M ASCARED" OF PROJECT X. mmmMAAAAHHHHAAAAAAHHHHAAAA! i'M WORKING ON A SCRATCH BUILT SAILER NOW SO WE'LL SEE HOW THAT WORKS OUT.
Forgot to welcome you to this forum. We have a lot of fun here and we know everything there is to know about scale boats.Ahem! You have come to the right place my friend. Pete

Just looked at my Corvette model and I think you have something else there. The Corvette is 48" long so if your model is 31" it's probably another boat. I'll have to look this up for you but meantime somebody else could maybe tell you right now.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by norgale; Nov 19, 2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 07:36 AM
Joined Nov 2005
191 Posts
The picture is of the Sterling kit B-7M Chris Craft Catalina.
edmigley51146 is offline Find More Posts by edmigley51146